Coming off birth control symptoms (ladies only please)

Options
Hi Girls,

Last month I decided to come off the pill. Ive been taking it for 18 years and recently have heard that being on it for a substantial period of time can be bad for you. I am also wanting to try for a baby in the not too distant future. Ive never had any issues with the one im currently on. My body was like clock work every month.

However after coming off I have had the following symptoms and wondered if they are normal:
Weight Gain
Severe bloated tummy
Headaches
Incredibly painful breasts and nipples
Feeling down
Very tired.

Do any of these sound familiar too you?

Thanks
Gem xx

Replies

• Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I would talk to your Dr about it for sure. The weight gain and mood changes are pretty normal in my experience.
  • ellaloveslove
    ellaloveslove Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Google symptoms of stopping hormonal birth control. I stopped about 2 months ago, and I had some acne, and worse pms. Also, it can take up to a year for your hormones and cycle to balance out again, so if things seem a little abnormal...that's normal :) But check with your gyno if you are concerned. There are loooots of resources on google though.
  • SquidgySquidge
    SquidgySquidge Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Weight gain and spots were my symptoms.
    Also excruciating pains every month, I had to take the day off work in March as I couldn't stand up, the pain was that bad.
  • CheyH92
    CheyH92 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    It sounds like pregnancy. If you have had sexual encounters since coming off your birth control that could be a possibility, talk to ur doctor.
  • CookieGem
    CookieGem Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Yeah i thought the same. I was convinced i was pregnant but taken a test and Im not :)
  • Lobster1987
    Lobster1987 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Those are common symptoms of coming off birth control. I had much of the same when I went of depo, and I just quit depo again here this month, so I am about to be hit with all of those again soon....Probably not the weight gain though...I expect a weight loss perhaps because depo makes you want to eat.
  • CheyH92
    CheyH92 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    You tried a doctors pregnancy test or one at home? The home ones are picky and inaccurate sometimes, like if its to soon or such...I would try a few more if you used a home pregnancy test, just to be sure. Just my suggestion! :) However, these ladies are saying it is normal symptoms you are experiencing and I have never been on (or off lol) birth control so they may be right!
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Do check with your Dr. I don't remember ever having those symptoms when I came off (but as my youngest is 13 its a while ago:wink: ). Yes, it sounds like pregancy but if a test is coming up negative it could be something else - my friend had similar symptoms when she was trying for a second and it turned out to be ovarian cycsts.

Never suffer in silence just because you're a woman!
  • kahyee
    kahyee Posts: 63
    Options
    For me weight gain, mood swings, night sweats, painful ovulation, hot flashes, intense cravings during the week before my period. I've been off the pill for about 7 yrs and the only thing that's normalized is my weight. During the week before my period, I still experience everything else. It was so bad, I thought I was going through early menopause. But I don't regret getting off of the pill at all.
  • calaz84
    calaz84 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I was on for 13 years got off last February the first 5 moths massive mood swings, after 3 months terrible acne and gained 30lbs have lost 18 of them since december. It was a roller coaster!!!