Exceeding recommended heart rate?

Options
Resa52
Resa52 Posts: 182 Member
I'm currently working on the Couch to 5k plan and am very out of shape. I have a Polar FT4 HRM and it's telling me my target heart rate is between 124-162 (which is pretty similar to what charts I've seen online and in magazines show me at)

While running, my heart beat is frequently in the 180s. While I'm at these points in my workout, I'm definitely struggling to keep going, but I usually am not at a "OMG, I'm going to tip over" level. Is it dangerous/bad/wrong to exercise over my recommended target heartrate?

Tonight I was in the 180s so often that I got concerned and spent a lot of time speed walking instead of jogging and that kept me in the low 160s, which is the max that my HRM suggests.

Opinions?

Replies

• longtimeterp
    longtimeterp Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    here is a good little bit of info on heart rate training from polar...

http://www.polarusa.com/us-en/training_with_polar/training_articles/improve_fitness/exercise_zones

and another...

http://www.polarusa.com/us-en/training_with_polar/training_articles/maximize_performance/running/polar_sport_zones_for_running

they have a lot of good reading to go with their products, i use an ft80
  • Resa52
    Resa52 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    So I see that being in those areas is good for peak performance and greatly increasing fitness, but should I be in those areas for 50% plus of my run? Does that mean I'm working too hard since I'm out of shape?

What about hitting my "max heart beat" which would put me at 100% or even 101% A sign to take it easier??
  • Lady_Bane
    Lady_Bane Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Mine goes to 205 + when I am sprinting heavily for more than 2 min. I am perfectly healthy. If you want to fat burn keep it lower. If running does that to you, then try power walking.
  • IIISpartacusIII
    IIISpartacusIII Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    So I see that being in those areas is good for peak performance and greatly increasing fitness, but should I be in those areas for 50% plus of my run? Does that mean I'm working too hard since I'm out of shape?

What about hitting my "max heart beat" which would put me at 100% or even 101% A sign to take it easier??

I had those same questions when I was doing some running with the HRM (Polar FT7) since I was typically running a full 20 minutes at about 105-110% of my HR Max (though I'm still alive to type about it). What I found was that eventually, as I became more cardiovascularly fit, the numbers dropped down a bit to 85-95% of my max whilst going at the same pace for the same amount of time. As you drop some weight your heart won't have to work as hard so it will get easier either way.

What I suggest is that you discuss this with your doctor, and if he gives you a clean bill of health then go for it. If you have no underlying health issues preventing you from going all out then go for broke! Life is short : GET SOME!!!!
  • keywestsunset
    keywestsunset Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I had a trainer tell me that if I exceed my max heart rate I'd be burning muscle so lower it to burn fat. He said it was okay if I did it every so often, but try to keep it in recommended range, which can be hard.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    here is a good little bit of info on heart rate training from polar...

http://www.polarusa.com/us-en/training_with_polar/training_articles/improve_fitness/exercise_zones

and another...

http://www.polarusa.com/us-en/training_with_polar/training_articles/maximize_performance/running/polar_sport_zones_for_running

they have a lot of good reading to go with their products, i use an ft80

Those articles talk about PERCENTAGES of maximum heart rate, they do not address the actual heart rate numbers.

They do that for a specific reason.

The issue for the OP--and a number of others--is that there is a wide range of maximum heart rates that is "normal". There are a number of equations that attempt to predict maximum heart rate--mostly based on age.

The biggest problem with any of these methods is that they all have a standard of error of 10-12 beats/min. So it is possible for someone to have a TRUE max heart rate that is 20-30 beats above the accepted, age-predicted number.

Your Polar is basing your "zones" off of a standard cookie-cutter equation that tries to lump everyone into one data point. They have to do that because the overwhelming consensus of information available--both in the popular press and in writings by health professionals--uses the exact same formulas. It would be corporate suicide for any company to suggest otherwise or to stray by one iota from the consensus recommendations.

If you notice that your heart rate is consistently higher than the "recommended" levels, and you still feel you are at a comfortable level of exertion, then you will either have to manually customize your settings or just ignore any "zone" and calorie readings.
  • phjorg
    phjorg Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I had a trainer tell me that if I exceed my max heart rate I'd be burning muscle so lower it to burn fat. He said it was okay if I did it every so often, but try to keep it in recommended range, which can be hard.
    makes sense. this is why every sprinter type athletes have such low muscle mass compared to marathon type athletes. right?? All that sprinting and exceeding max heart rate numbers just strips the muscle mass right off them...

It's actually far more likely you have a very poor trainer who has no idea what they are talking about.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Work as hard as you can, for as long as you can. Barring injuries of course. There's no such thing as "working too hard" unless your body can't keep up (lifting too much weight, poor form resulting injuries, that sort of thing). If you're just doing cardio and your heart rate is in the 180s, good. Worst case, if you exceed your capabilities you might start getting dizzy or faint, but you won't die.

There is zero reason to purposefully keep your heart rate lower unless you've got a medical reason not to (in which case, see a doctor, not us). Fat burning zones and all that crap is pure BS and is used as an excuse by people to slack off. Granted, it's a different story if you're trying to pace yourself for a marathon or something, but that's not the question you asked.

Finally, listen to your body, not your HRM. It has no idea what your max heart rate is or what you're capable of in general. All it knows is what your current heart rate is. What you do with that information is up to you.
  • jajnn
    jajnn Posts: 33
    Options
    Do you have any existing pulmonary/cardiovascular health problems that would make it dangerous to maintain an elevated heart rate?

As your body becomes more efficient and you get in better shape your heart rate will go down. I like to stay ~160 bpm but during HIIT I've seen my heart rate hit 200+ and I haven't had any issues.