Jessica Smith walking DVD

Options
Has anyone tried this DVD? "Walking for Weight loss and Energy" I am looking for a change and maybe a bump up from Lesley Sansone. She's great, but it's usually the same things. This was given decent reviews but I'm not familiar with her yet. On higher energy days, I find myself making Lesley's harder, which is fine, but I read Jessica was also very good.

Thanks for any feedback.

Replies

• KNarrainen
    KNarrainen Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to sound naive, but do you really need a DVD for walking?

Just go for a walk and enjoy the world around you at the same time?

Increase your pace and amount of time as and when you are ready.
    Done.
  • audra0831
    audra0831 Posts: 244
    Options
    I have this Jessica Smith DVD, I like it but I personally get more out of the Leslie Sansone DVDs. It's definitely a change from the Walk at Home DVDs, it's a good workout but for me it seemed to drag on. And there are no mile markers, so I didn't know exactly the distance I "traveled." (And of course I didn't have my pedometer on!) Hope this is helpful - good luck!
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried this DVD? "Walking for Weight loss and Energy" I am looking for a change and maybe a bump up from Lesley Sansone. She's great, but it's usually the same things. This was given decent reviews but I'm not familiar with her yet. On higher energy days, I find myself making Lesley's harder, which is fine, but I read Jessica was also very good.

Thanks for any feedback.

http://www.amazon.com/Walking-Weight-Loss-Wellness-Energy/dp/B00AZ2N906

Honestly if you're ready to step it up from Leslie Sansone DVDs to something more challenging, why not go with more traditional workouts, such as aerobics or running or weights? They'll do MUCH better for your body.
  • SiobhanMG
    Options
    Hi. I use Leslie's 5 mile walk (the one with 2mins jogging at the end of each mile) while my son naps sometimes. The first half of each mile is at about 4.5 mph i think and the second half 5.5mph. each mile is 12minutes. It's much more intense than the other dvd i have of hers that i bought to use towards the end of my pregnancy. But i have started turning off the volume on the tv and playing a steady beat playlist of 160bpm and moving to the faster beat of the music for the entire dvd. i just use the dvd to see what move is next. I also just jog fast for the 2mins of 'boosted walking' she calls it. Haven't tried Jessica though.
  • ShedLeaves
    ShedLeaves Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Some of us who live in sub-zero temperatures or just plain cold, blowing, snowing weather like these to keep up our exercise up.
    I like Leslie Sansone because she is upbeat and helps me forget the weather outside.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I'm always delighted that Leslie has such upbeat music compared with otherwise trendier workouts. Jillian Michaels' music makes me want to gnaw my own leg off in tedium.
  • SiobhanMG
    Options
    or if you live in the tropics where it rains everyday for sometimes three weeks straight in summer and the parks flood and bog and become mosquito infested. I don't use my walking dvds as my fitness program...just as extras or on a day I need to take it a bit easier for whatever reason. I get the same calorie burn from an hour of Leslie as i do 45-55minutes of Les Mills combat.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    My mind is seriously blown right now!!! I did not know this was even a thing, I'm going to go look for a DVD on how to stand up and sit down!

google "squat technique" :wink:

yeah, seriously, do something a little more challenging than a "walking" DVD if you can't get outside and walk. How about bodyweight resistance training? Squats, lunges, pushups, etc..all FAR more beneficial in the long run than "walking".
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    So you walk in place? I'm serious here, is it someone on screen that is walking and you walk in place to music and watch scenery?
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Seriously, I run, lift and do high-impact DVDs, but I always return to Leslie Sansone walking DVDs when I need a breather or don't want to exacerbate an injury, and I always end up sweating!

It's not just walking in place, you move forward and back and side to side, forward and backward kicks, knee lifts etc. with upper body moves thrown in, all at a seriously up-tempo BPM - exactly the same as a low-impact cardio workout, in fact, and harder than some I've done! One of mine uses resistance bands too. And it's set in a studio, no scenery!

Don't knock it 'til you've tried it.
  • amyniceneasy
    amyniceneasy Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Wow...people sure are being rude and maybe you should try one of the DVD's before you pass judgement.
    I love Leslie and I use her DVD's when the weather is nasty or cold or its too dark to be out walking safely. For some people just starting out the DVD's could be a challange.

Really people..
    Some people are morbidly obese
    Some people are just starting out
    Some people have injuries and need low impact
    Some people just like this type of excersize
    Some people are old
    Some people are pregnant.

The list goes on and on for why you would lean towards this type of DVD. I didnt start out fit. I am now...and I still use her DVD's from time to time just to move when I don't have time or I'm too tired to do my harder workouts. They are more effective for me than a brisk walk since your moving side to side, squatting, moving your arms...etc.

Some people really need to get off their high horse.
  • soontobemomma
    Options
    I do like Jessica Smith though I have only done workouts out of youtube. But I still think Leslie is better:)

And please to the the posters above who don't really like the way we are working out, why are you being so judgmental about it? Isn't it better than nothing? There are so many reasons why someone would choose this. I am 25 weeks pregnant right now and walking indoors is really ALL that I have the energy for.
  • debraran1
    debraran1 Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Geez, I didn't think I had to give background, just thought someone who did them would give me an idea how it was. I do walk, many miles,but I work late and some days I can't get out because of weather. I hurt my knees running for many years, (did 1 marathon at 44) and do lift weights and do pilates.
    I like "Walking DVDs" because the low impact is low impact and I can't do squats, etc. well. Jillian Michael's and those types heavily depend on jumps and squats. I do like JM's "no more trouble zones" though.
    I like walking which as people stated really isn't walking, but gentle moves. It's a nice alternative (for me) on rainy, cold or late nights when I want to move but can't be outside.

I've done most aerobic dvd's, but was looking for a change on those occasions when I needed to use one. You shouldn't judge, not every exercise DVD is for everyone.
  • Danielle_Style
    Danielle_Style Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I have to say that sometimes the people on this site REALLY make me angry with the level of superiority they display.

I used to use a different (very successful) calorie counting website and I switched to MFP because I like that it is simpler and slightly more scientific.

But the community aspect of this site can at times be very detrimental to those people who are honestly just trying to make positive changes in their lives. It's downright disgusting.

I've been doing Power 90 for a couple of months and because of my ongoing Degenerative Disc Disease, I had a flare-up of an "acute muscle spasm" in my lumbar region, causing sciatic nerve pain.

My doctor has advised me to avoid squats and lunges and overly high impact workouts. So, in an attempt to not get discouraged, I've begun walking and pilates for strength.

But you know what...sometimes it rains. It has been raining for three days, and three days with no cardio is tough, especially when my cardio is lowered already.

So, yes, in these DVDs, you do a lot of walking in place...but also a lot of low impact aerobics that really rev things up.

I think if you want to "lift heavy" and "eat clean", that's perfectly fine. And to be honest, you WILL see results faster than I will. But, some people have to work with what they've got - muscle spasms, rainy days, chronic injuries.

I wonder if I'd do well to go back to the aforementioned other calorie counting website. So many times, I've clicked on a topic and been completely blow over by people's arrogance.

If you don't do walking DVD's, what are you doing posting in a topic asking for advice on one?

There...rant over!
  • Danielle_Style
    Danielle_Style Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    BTW, original post...I did a Jessica Smith routine on YouTube tonight and LOVED it. I also watched a preview of the walking DVD, and it looks pretty good!
  • ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    Options
    I have a few of leslie Sansone's walking dvd's and love love love them .... I have never heard of Jessica Smith I might have to go check her out
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m5cf4enVyn1r591od.gif
  • debraran1
    debraran1 Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I do like Jessica for a change. I don't think the preview of her new DVD shows it well, but I mainly do the second 30 minutes, with are intervals of intensity and then a cool down, over and over. Wouldn't want to do it everyday, but a few times a week, it helps bump things up.
    I agree, if you only answer a post to make fun or act like your workout is best, you shouldn't.
  • marz42
    marz42 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Leslie's DVDs, and those like it *are* aerobics. Its not just walking in place, and she has some that are slower and some that are faster, with bits of jogging mixed in even. I personally find Leslie's style a little irritating, but still think she's got a good thing going. I know a lot of people intimidated by the "dancey"ness of some aerobics styles find her more appealing since the steps are fairly simple and they don't need to worry about learning a routine or feeling clumsy.

Thanks for any feedback.

http://www.amazon.com/Walking-Weight-Loss-Wellness-Energy/dp/B00AZ2N906

Honestly if you're ready to step it up from Leslie Sansone DVDs to something more challenging, why not go with more traditional workouts, such as aerobics or running or weights? They'll do MUCH better for your body.
  • marz42
    marz42 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you've found it already now, but Jessica has a TON of free full length workouts on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/feed/UCB7wvgp4HUBe5TD10jIgxDg
    There are all sorts of levels, and her manner is encouraging without being overly perky and she's got the cutest dog always in the way heh. I'm impressed at how much she puts into these videos and then puts them out there for free.

I've got the one you first posted about in my wish list. Even though she's got all the free stuff I'm finding i really like it when there is a really nice background..great for rainy day.