Easy pescetarian / vegetarian friendly meals?

Options
Hello ladies and gents!

I was curious if anyone knew of any good websites with pescetarian* / vegetarian ( or vegan!) friendly meals that are in the realm of "the only thing I cook in the kitchen is coffee" persuasion? I'm hopeless when I comes to making meals, and above and beyond boiling water, I'm pretty much hopeless. Since I'm trying to shed the pounds, I can't keep relying on microwave, take-out, and quick fix food but I don't know where to start. Most pessi / veggie friendly food I seem to find is more complicated than I can handle, so does anyone know any really simple recipes themselves, or websites that have beginner level meals? I'd really appreciate it!

* To anyone who's never seen that word before, it basically just means I'm a vegetarian who also eats fish and sea food. :)

Replies

• amyjrunner
    amyjrunner Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian magazine has a web site with different options and recipes!
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian magazine has a web site with different options and recipes!

I LOVE this blog, everything I've made has come out really well, www.eatingbirdfood.com
  • AnnaCHJ
    AnnaCHJ Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Two great ways to prepare fish:

Salmon: Grate a lime and mince some fresh ginger. Sprinkle both on a plate and press each side of the salmon into it lightly so it gets stuck to the fish. Bake or grill -- no oil or anything else required. Then make a really simple sauce: Grate another lime. Saute some garlic in butter or olive oil. Mix the lime zest, garlic with oil and lime juice (squeeze the lime) into about a cup of sour cream (or greek yogurt would work). That's it. REALLY good.

Any plain white fish:
    Slice some shallots (or onions but shallots are better) really thin. Put them on a piece of foil big enough to wrap the fish loosely and seal. Put the fish on top. In a separate bowl, mix together some jullienned zucchini and carrots (really tiny jullienne), chopped tomato (not so much to overpower the dish), a little olive oil, black pepper, and some lemon or lime juice or white wine (just a little bit). Pile this on top of the fish. Seal it up in the foil, leaving some room (don't squash it). Bake it for ten minutes in a very hot (450) oven. Be careful opening it as the steam will burn you. You can do this in individual packets with parchment paper instead of foil -- twist the top so you have pretty little packages. Makes a nice presentation for guests.
  • spiritcentral
    spiritcentral Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian and have been for 9 years. Plant based now, not before. Keep in mid Twinkies and Oreos are vegan!
    The best site I use frequently- Happy Herbivore. She is a cookbook writer, and has lots of great recipes that she posts on her blog and fb site. She does a meal plan too if you need it. I bought a couple just to get a few recipes, but I don't follow those food plans.
  • WillowWindow
    WillowWindow Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    If you want good basic information about how to cook anything, get a Joy of Cooking cookbook. It will teach you the techniques and be useful your whole life as a reference. For anything that you used to buy premade, just do a web search with " recipe" in the keywords and you will find hundreds of options.

If you enjoy looking at cool pictures, recipes, techniques and people, go to vegan Chickpea magazine for free reading and inspiration.

www.chickpeamagazine.com
  • Kalathra
    Kalathra Posts: 5
    Options
    Are they actually vegan? That's ridiculous, and also awesome!

Thank you all, I've been browsing the sites, and while some seem like they're just out of my range right now, I've seen a lot of good meals to get me started off with! And lots I can add some meat into after the fact for my partner, have to keep him happy too! Haha. :D
  • StarrySkiesYvaine
    StarrySkiesYvaine Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    http://www.isitvegan.com/2011/06/02/are-oreos-vegan/*

There's an ongoing dispute about oreos being vegan ^

I'm a veggie - good, easy meals I regularly cook are: Ratatouille, stir fries, roasted veggies (like peppers, courgettes and red onion) with cous cous/put lentils/chickpeas (most of which come in microwaveable packets if you're really short of time). Soups are another easy way to get good amounts of veg - I tend to just chop up carrot, leek, broccoli, etc. put in a pan with a little oil, add one red onion, one/two small potatoes, a decent amount of veg stock (enough to cover the veg in the saucepan), simmer until the veg is tender then blitz in a blender.

Herbs/spices make a meal for me though since becoming veggie - invest in a good collection of herbs or even grow some if you have the space!

Sorry that it's not a very helpful reply in terms of actual recipes, but I'm a bit of a 'just chop things and bung them in a saucepan' cook!

*(apologies, I don't know how to do the link to the site!)
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    There's a website called allrecipes.com that has an ingredient search function. You can also do an advanced search that looks just for vegan things, etc. That is my #1 site for recipe-hunting. Also, if you don't think you have strong cooking skills, you might invest in a crockpot. Then you can get the book "Fresh From The Vegan Slow Cooker." Lots of easy stuff in there!
  • kerricus
    kerricus Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian for 12 years and I love it! I'm not a great cook, but I cook all my meals. My go-to for dinner is stir fry with tofu. If you try stir fry, chop all the veggies before hand. The pan has to be HOT. You must use oil--stir fry just doesn't work "fat free." And you do have to stir! Stir every few seconds so that nothing burns or sticks. All the veggies should still be a bit crunchy when you're done. I flavor with soy sauce, garlic, and sriracha. So yummy!

If you don't feel like cooking, try Thai curry. Trader Joe's sells Thai curry sauces in jars. Chop the veggies. Microwave until almost done. Pour on curry sauce. Microwave until heated. Eat with rice or by itself. So easy and delicious.
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Try this recipe for Coconut Curried Sweet Potato and Lentil Stew

http://www.ambitiouskitchen.com/2013/01/coconut-curried-sweet-potato-and-lentil-stew/
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I just made this, literally took me 10 mins :)

1. Put marlin (fish) steak onto medium-hot non-stick pan, cover with lid. (covering with a lid helps the heat be evenly distributed)

2. Chop up desired vegetables. I diced some carrot (unpeeled), broccoli (including stork) and chopped some spinach. I only have 1 hotplate where I live, so instead of putting in a pot to cook the veggies, I boiled some water and poured it on top! Carrots take longer, so poured water on them for about 2 mins, drained, then added the broccoli and poured more boiling water on top. I then added spinach to the water just before serving as I don't like it very cooked.

3. For a simple dressing, use 1tsp olive oil, juice of half a lemon, 1tsp mustard seeds, 1 clove of garlic (expect super garlic breath) and a dash of balsamic vinegar. Mix well.

4. The marlin should take about 6~8 minutes. You can check it it's done by cutting it in half - it should be white all the way through. In fact, the flesh should fall apart quite easily. DO NOT OVERCOOK FISH! It becomes dry and yucky :(

5. Strain the vegetables, and they're done. I just put them in a bowl on the side, along with my marlin and 1/2 an avocado on another plate. Cover the marlin and avocado with dressing, and maybe the vegetables too if you like that. YOU'RE DONE!

If you want more carbs like I did tonight, I baked some sweet potato. Simply cut into strips and thrown in the oven, just checking on them until they were crisp and being sure to flip half way. EAT THE SKIN TOO! it's really good for you :)

This was about 550cals, if you take away the avocado it'll be more like 450... take away dressing, 380... so depends on how many cals you have to work with. I burnt 700+ today exercising so needed a good dinner!
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Two great ways to prepare fish:

Salmon: Grate a lime and mince some fresh ginger. Sprinkle both on a plate and press each side of the salmon into it lightly so it gets stuck to the fish. Bake or grill -- no oil or anything else required. Then make a really simple sauce: Grate another lime. Saute some garlic in butter or olive oil. Mix the lime zest, garlic with oil and lime juice (squeeze the lime) into about a cup of sour cream (or greek yogurt would work). That's it. REALLY good.

Any plain white fish:
    Slice some shallots (or onions but shallots are better) really thin. Put them on a piece of foil big enough to wrap the fish loosely and seal. Put the fish on top. In a separate bowl, mix together some jullienned zucchini and carrots (really tiny jullienne), chopped tomato (not so much to overpower the dish), a little olive oil, black pepper, and some lemon or lime juice or white wine (just a little bit). Pile this on top of the fish. Seal it up in the foil, leaving some room (don't squash it). Bake it for ten minutes in a very hot (450) oven. Be careful opening it as the steam will burn you. You can do this in individual packets with parchment paper instead of foil -- twist the top so you have pretty little packages. Makes a nice presentation for guests.

oohhh this sounds great, I'm going to steal it! Never done salmon with ginger even though I love my ginger, so will give it a shot ;)