The worst meal I ever had was...

Options

Replies

• mrsknotts
    mrsknotts Posts: 115
    Options
    This thread had me laughing so hard I cried! Im certainly not picky, in fact I think im an adventurous eater. One thing that got the better of me had to be my attempt at tofu.... Somewhat like eating packing peanuts, that some had previously consumed. Not my best dish
  • NoahandPresleysMom
    NoahandPresleysMom Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    my moms cauliflower with mayo and mustard topped with cheese and baked. EWWWWWW
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    My worst meal was probably the time I was out of crackers and making meatloaf. Tried substituting Cool Ranch Doritos and my husband still gives me crap about that one.....15 years later.

That doesn't sound like it would be bad....
  • castelluzzo99
    castelluzzo99 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    "TVP Chili".... an invention of my own. and worst idea ever.... You could say I wasn't quite as educated as I am now about a year and a half ago when I decided to start watching what I eat and exercising. So I thought it'd be a great idea to make chili with textured soy protein instead of actual ground meat (apparently I hadn't discovered ground turkey/chicken yet?) So I made this awesome tasting chili (I should've just stopped and made it veggie chili).... and I threw in some TVP. Had a bite and thought "wow this is pretty good" but after about 5 more bites I decided that it tasted like I was eating someone's puke.

I don't know why I ever thought that'd be a good idea.

I'm glad that I've settled into my high protein, meat-eating ways over the last year.

We used TVP in chili all the time (until we became concerned with GMOs and quit using TVP). The thing is, it's tasteless, so if you add it to perfect veggie chili, you need to add more spices and herbs to make it work.

I now use buckwheat in chili sometimes. I have this awesome buckwheat chili recipe...

But since this is a thread about the worst meal we've ever had, and since I'm writing here, maybe I should think what that was... hmmmmm... Nothing comes to mind. Probably squash and brussel sprouts when I was a kid, except I like squash now and will eat brussel sprouts if they are fixed the right way (roasted all the way!).

ETA: When I think of it, I'll post it.
  • Jennaissance
    Options
    My dad used to make something he called "*kitten* on a Shingle."

Toast smothered in ground beef fried in a pan with flour and you don't drain the fat.

NASTY!
  • smantha32
    Options
    deep fried cockroaches and water beetles...apparently its common snack fare in thailand, and being a foolish tourist I decided to be adventurous.

I'll never get over the feeling of little insect legs on my tongue. Gag.

This one might be a win for the worst. GAG :sick:
  • smantha32
    Options

Worst made by a family member: My dad called it sh** on a shingle and said it was made in the army. It was ground beef with corn starch and onions on a piece of bread.

My step dad made **** on a shingle too. He always used chipped beef. He was in the Navy though, maybe they do it differently.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    The one where I found an animal claw in my burrito, which happened twice. Once in a frozen one, the other at Chipotle.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    A full order of Outback cheese fries and bloomin' onion (after I already hit my daily calories)... and still eating normally next day.

Literally felt like food poisoned for the next 4 days.

Also, a rib place in SC where the ribs were white literally all white and it wasn't sauce. It looked like congealed fat and no meat.
  • smantha32
    Options

My Mum's curried sausages. Cheap nasty pork sausages, boiled so the fat comes out and the casing melts and creates a slimy sticky goo that has the consistency of snot (sorry), which is then flavoured with horrible chemical tasting 'Indian curry' powder that is not only a bright yellow/green shade (more snot similarity) but also adds a gritty texture. Truly revolting. Ate it a lot in my childhood - had one of those parents who made you stay at the table until you had eaten all your dinner so it was either a huge glass of water and choke it down, or a very late night . Believe me, eating cold curried sausages until midnight is no fun....

Some of these stories are making me thankful for that raw lasagna I thought was so awful...
  • Colorfan
    Colorfan Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    One Thanksgiving, I got home late from work. My family had already had dinner and there wasnt anything left over.

All we had in the fridge was mayonnaise and some bread. I was so hungry after having worked all day, I wound up making a bread sandwich.
  • smantha32
    Options

Man do I remember my late nights spent at the kitchen table... Told my aunt once that I was NOT going to eat brussel sprouts because they were nasty. My punishment? Sitting at the kitchen table for hours trying to get them down. I'd never tried them but I did that night and they were nasty. Even worse when you tried to wash them down with super sweet tea. Ick!

This was my brother. He would sit at the table all night rather than eat whatever it was. I would choke it down and go to bed. LOL
  • WeightHacker
    WeightHacker Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    i would have to go with the eggplant lasagna. (which is something my dad made saying it was healthy). so i took a bite of it and spit it out.
    didnt like the texture didnt like the flavor... so all i ate from that dinner was the cheese.... which was the best part. ._.

another one that i dont like very much is shrimp pasta.
    i dont like the mixture of the shrimp flavor all over the pasta. just doesnt appeal to me. dont like the flavor. (i prefer separated, thanks goodness my mom does that just for me to actually eat dinner with them).

and curry. dont give me things that has a similar taste to it.

dont give me dinner tv either. especially lean cuisine.
  • OfficerFuzzy
    OfficerFuzzy Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Iguana food swimming in raspberry vinaigrette with tomatoes and radishes.
    I don't know what the Iguana food was, some sort of green or lettuce that must have been half rotten...so slimy.
    "Desiree I made this salad especially for you. ESPECIALLY FOR YOU, " said my cousin's grandpa, setting the bowl down in front of me.
  • RaineyLaney
    RaineyLaney Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Worst meal for me would be Liver and onions, green beans and a tall glass of milk..... barf
  • theycallyoumister
    theycallyoumister Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    My sister's attempt to make lamb chops...I felt like I was eating human flesh :sick:
  • Driagnor
    Driagnor Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I think eating snails for the first time did it for me. The texture...uuurgh. When my gran got a new microwave years ago, she heated up a pie for my grandad in it - however, she thought it was pretty much the same as an oven, so heated it in there for 8 minutes. It was so hot it burnt his tastebuds off his tongue.
  • M______
    M______ Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I have a local kebab shop called king kebab house. I tried their 1 pounder quadruple tower burger with a huge portion of cheesy fries. The joke was that my friend and I used to always complain that big meals practically knocked us out, but other people always seemed fine eating their meals. That shows how little I really knew or cared for nutrition at the time.
  • wilmnoca
    wilmnoca Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    My brother-in-law's culinary school creations. Par cooked white beans in oil and greasy soggy oyster fritters. I will never eat white beans again...ever!
  • McCelmer
    McCelmer Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    My sister's attempt to make lamb chops...I felt like I was eating human flesh :sick:

lmao!!! Gross!

I lived in a group home for about a year when I was a teenager. Institution food is NOT pleasant - every meal was dreadful.