Naked Juice

A few months ago, I started to drink Naked Juice...thinking that it's good for me. I'm sure it is, but I feel it provides too many carbs. Naked Juice states that it's an all-natural juice, but I think if you naturally juiced any fruit, the caloric count shouldn't be that high. Should it? A bottle (16 fl. oz.) of the Green Machine is 280 calories and there are some others that are 300 calories per bottle. I tried to drink the reduced calorie Naked Juices (which is 200 calories per bottle) to feel better about adding to my caloric count for the day.

Instead of drinking Naked Juice, I started drinking the Greenberry Shakeology (140 calories per serving mixed with water) or the Lean Shakes (170 calories per bottle) from GNC which are lower in calories but does provide some vitamins and minerals.

Overall, what do you think about Naked Juice?

Replies

• Personally, I don't like it or any other juice on grocery store shelves. Some are better than others but I would much rather make my own.You have to remember that when you buy juices off the shelf they have been pretty processed and usually have some sort of preservative in them otherwise they wouldn't be able to stay on the shelf. Not only that but once something has been juiced or put through a blender it begins to lose the live enzymes that make juice good for you. My morning juice is 32+ ounces depending on the size of veggie/fruit and it is usually below 200 calories. If you can afford to purchase a juicer(I recommend a Breville), you should just start juicing your own.
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Personally I'd just drink water and eat the fruit.
  • temp666777
    temp666777 Posts: 169
    Fruit is just carbohydrates.

You should seriously consider eating very little fruit.

Fruit juice is even worse, it's just concentrated sugar in water!

If you must eat fruit, eat STRAWBERRIES or other BERRIES.. they are surprisingly very low in carbohydrates, compared to other fruits.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    I've just about cut out fruit juice altogether - as you've realised it's very high in carbs and sugars.

But it still manages to persuade buyers that it's healthy!
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Fruit is just carbohydrates.

You should seriously consider eating very little fruit.

Fruit juice is even worse, it's just concentrated sugar in water!

If you must eat fruit, eat STRAWBERRIES or other BERRIES.. they are surprisingly very low in carbohydrates, compared to other fruits.

Fruit is not JUST carbohydrates. It's nutrients and fiber and water as well.
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    You have to remember that when you buy juices off the shelf they have been pretty processed and usually have some sort of preservative in them otherwise they wouldn't be able to stay on the shelf.

Naked Juice is found in refrigerated section (by produce usually).

I looked at their site and it looks like they make a couple low calorie flavors now.
  • yes, it is in the refrigerated section just like odwalla but it is still processed,
  • Sageyoku
    Sageyoku Posts: 77 Member
    The 8oz bottle of Naked Juice contains TWO servings.
    So if you drink HALF of a 200-calorie bottle, that's 100 calories and 14g of sugar...about the same as if you'd eaten a banana.
    So is Naked Juice REALLY that much worse than eating a piece of fruit?

In my opinion, as long as you watch your serving sizes, drinking Naked Juice in place of fruit once in a while is probably fine.
    You may want to continue eating veggies, though! :wink:
  • riskiestlavonn
    riskiestlavonn Posts: 207 Member
    Haha,

I USE to drink a lot of Naked Juice as well until one day I flipped it over and saw the Calorie content. :-)

Personally I don't think there are any problems with eating fruit (how much fruit could one really eat in a day), but I dislike the thought of drinking soo many calories. Also, it's a big spike in your bloodsugar.

:-)
  • I recently bought a juicer and have loved it. However, one day I was running late to work and instead picked up a Naked "Green Machine".

http://www.nakedjuice.com/our-products/juice/green-machine

I think what people tend to do many times is look at fruits and find that they are surprised that fruits contain carbs and calories. Naked juices do not contain any added sugar, nor any artificial ingredients. The label is very easy to read. However, I will say this... Naked was made to please the general population, so the fruit to veggie ratio is very uneven. There are many more fruit juices/ purees in a bottle of Naked than there are veggies because the company needs it to be sweet enough to appeal to the masses.

Juices are a great way to provide your body the nutrients you need without sitting down to a full plate of fruits and veggies (though do keep in mind that when juicing you will often lose much of the fiber that is included if you were to just eat the solid food). I always try to add more veggies than fruit and if you content yourself with the fact that you will be tasting flavors that are both sweet and savory then you will enjoy it.

Personally when I drink my homemade juice I find that I have much more energy than with a cup of coffee (for a longer period of time + no caffeine high or low) and I am sharper and more focused throughout the day. The other bonus I believe is that when I have my juice for breakfast in the morning, the amount of carbs helps to aid in the breakdown and absorption of the harder vitamins in my multi (Vitamins A, D, E and K). Ok Ok my rant is almost over :) Thanks for reading.

For anyone who is interested:
    In my 24oz morning cup of juice I include the following....

- 3-4 large handfuls of spinach/ kale/ or any dark green leafy vegg
    - 2-3 stalks of celery
    - 1/2 cucumber (unpeeled)
    - 2 apples (cut in half; green/ red/yellow)
    - 1 whole lemon or 2 limes (unpeeled; cut in half)
    - 1 big handful of baby or 2 large carotts (they create foam so I add them in the middle to help minimize that)
    - 1 bell pepper (any color)
    - 1 handful cilantro or parsley (great cleansers for digestion and taste does not come through)

And here is my juicer... Breville BJE510XL Juicer, Ikon Juice Extractor
    http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/breville-bje510xl-juicer-ikon-juice-extractor?ID=369568&CategoryID=7583#fn=sp=1&spc=34&ruleId=65&slotId=9