need to start a strength program - right?? - but how?!

Options
hi everyone! another appeal to all of you for your continuing great advice.

i've read in a lot of places that strength training is essential. for the last little while, i have tried to convince myself that 2 pilates classes a week are kind of the same thing as strength training. the problem is, i know this probably isn't true.

i run, and so having strong legs is really important to prevent injuries (in fact, i am on the bench for a hip injury but am about a week away from full recovery) AND running faster/longer.

the truth is, i'm just kind of SCARED of it. i'm not worried about getting bulky - i get it that us gals just don't have the hormones (or whatever) for that to happen. it's more of a fear of the unknown. I'm just getting the nutrition stuff right. In the last few weeks, I've seen the scale move. Am I "stable" enough to introduce something new? I think I am. So it's just fear that I need to get over.

any ideas? i'd love to incorporate some strength training, 3x a week, simple moves. i have access to a gym with free weights but no bars. I prefer not getting a personal trainer.

THANK YOU!!!

ps - tossing around new rules for lifting

Replies

• davekang
    davekang Posts: 18
    Options
    you will not get bulky lol

If anything you will help your body while dieting, I have some female friends who compete in my gym in bikini and fitness modeling and they look awesome, if anything it would give you more shape.

what have you got to lose?

Try to start off with a push pull legs routine.

day 1 - chest, shoulders, triceps
    day 2 - Back , biceps
    day 3 - quads, hams, calves
  • avielosesit
    avielosesit Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Dave, I totally agree with you. Just need that push, you know?

One thing I've always wondered about is if working legs once a week is enough? (Similarly chest/shoulders/tris, back/bis). I am hoping to keep some running 2x a week.
  • rachelilb
    rachelilb Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I would say skip NROLFW for now just because it is a little complicated (in my opinion). Are you looking to use only dumb bells??
  • avielosesit
    avielosesit Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Not necessarily only dumbells. My gym has all kinds of machines... I'm just scared of the squat bar! I'm sure it's only a matter of using it a few times to get over that fear, but need someone to show me :)