South Beach or Weight Watchers?

Options
South Beach or Weight Watchers? I KNOW South Beach works for me, but those first two weeks are SO damn hard. Which is WHY it's taking me forever to get back into the swing of things. South Beach is free... Weight Watchers has a special... 3 months for $55. Do y'all have any recommendations/comments? I have never done Weight Watchers.

Thanks... Lydia

Replies

• July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    It boils down to which one can you stick with for life to maintain your loss once you get the weight off?

Am I the only person that enjoys the induction phase 1 of Atkins or South Beach?

What's so hard about it, if I may ask.
  • pitapocket
    pitapocket Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Weight Watchers works for me. Eat whatever you like but stay within your point range. Once you reach your goal weight it's free. It still takes willpower no matter what plan you follow. Good luck.
  • LoganScottsMom
    LoganScottsMom Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I think phase one is hard because I'm so restricted to what I can eat. I often get depressed when I KNOW I can't eat something because I'm on a diet. After those two weeks, I'm good.
  • smalltowncutie82
    Options
    I could never do South Beach. Weight Watchers was way easier for me, the only thing is that Weight Watchers is a lifestyle change. If you can eat in your 'points' range for the rest of your life then you'll be good. For me the eat healthy count calories diet is the way I'm going this time....that way it changes my bad habits for good hoping there won't be a next time. Good luck!
  • twingirls05
    Options
    I am a lifetime member at WW. I LOVE it!!! It's how I lost all my weight initally (100 lbs) and how I've lost all the weight from my pregnancies. I'm a firm believer in it. I think it's one of the best weight loss tools out there to lose weight...b/c it teaches a healthy lifestyle of eating...and it's not a fad diet. Good luck in your journey!
  • teoem9083
    teoem9083 Posts: 7
    Options
    I've never tried either, but my mom used Weight Watchers a while back...it seemed to work well for her, she lost a lot of weight and it didn't seem like she despised her diet or anything. She stopped after a while, but that was due to being too busy to attend meetings and the like. I would suggest WW.
  • BlueLikeJazz
    BlueLikeJazz Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    If you're serious about doing Weight Watchers, you might want to look into doing the At-Home program, where you pay a one-time fee (it was a little over $100 when I bought my stuff 6 years ago). That way you have everything you need and don't have to pay the monthly fee, unless you really want to go to meetings.

I personally preferred WW because you are free to eat what you want, with an emphasis on choosing lots of non-starchy vegetables, high fiber foods and mostly low-fat foods.

The thing I want to note, though, is if you keep the above guidelines in mind, MFP is all you need. WW really is just a way of converting calories to Points, except that it takes into account fat (where more fat will make the point value slightly higher) and fiber (where more fiber will make the point value slightly lower).

South Beach works, but it works because you're eating a lower number of calories, just like you would be if you keep track of what you eat daily here and make sure you're not going over your limit.