Teachers/ Working Moms trying to lose weight!

Options
Hi! I'm a teacher that wants to keep going throughout the school year. But sometimes it's hard when we care about others all day long to come home and focus on yourself. It happens every year. I work out in the summer and then when school comes back with its meetings, parent conferences, grading papers, and lesson plans, I don't make the time to keep going.

What types of things do you do to make time during your day to keep exercising and making healthy food choices during the school year?

Please share...BTW any working mom faces this- so please chime in with all your ideas for motivation. =) THX!!

Replies

• tcam70455
    tcam70455 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm also a teacher, and I'm worried about keeping up with exercising when school begins. (That is in 2 weeks for me.) Right now I have been walking 2 miles and doing the elliptical early every morning, but I'm already trying to add in evening time to get in the habit. I know that once school starts, the mornings won't work for me. Between getting 3 boys ready for school, my husband and myself ready for work, I would never have time for a shower....something I'm sure neither my colleagues nor my students would appreciate.lol As far as food goes, I can continue to eat healthy breakfasts, bring a healthy lunch from home, and I usually plan my dinner menus ahead of time. I try to cook at least a week's worth of meals before the first day of class. I know I am overwhelmed that week. I also try to do it each weekend, but sometimes doesn't work out. I do know if I plan out my meals, than I am less likely to get fastfood if I'm in a bind.
  • meliamom
    meliamom Posts: 23
    Options
    I am so there with you! I'm also a teacher, and I tend to lose weight during the summer because I try and hit the gym every day. Then comes the fall. I tend to get stressed and I slowly gain the weight back. Then comes Christmas and Thanksgiving! I usually just give up until January when it becomes my New Years Resolution. That's been the cycle for the past few years. Anyway, this year I really want to continue to work out and eat right all the way through.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,526 Member
    Options
    It IS hard for working moms. I, too, am a teacher, and I always do much better with fitness in the summer. The only redeeming factor about going back in the fall, is I don't tend to eat as much, since I am not walking through the kitchen every 15 minutes, and I don't have to feed my kids constantly, like in the summer.

Here is my plan, though, (this is what I was doing in the winter/spring)--just make it my goal to get 30 minutes of SOMETHING in every day. I tend to get so focused on whatever I am doing that I am inflexibe (i. e. "if I can't run for 45 minutes today,-- fill in with your favorite activity-- I just won't do anything!) So I will just make up my mind to do whatever is available, from walking around the gym while my kids practice, to using a tv workout, or doing the exercise bike (my most hated form of exercise!!). Even if it is not what I really want to do, I've just got to fit something in!! And even a short workout is better than none, if that's all that works (again, I think to myself--"only 20 minutes? Not worth it" I have to change my thinking!).

Let's hang in there!!!!!
  • jamiesgotagun
    jamiesgotagun Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I am a mother of 2 and own my own business, working usually 6 days a week. I too have the same struggles, trying to find the time to work out. Lately I have been working out at night after the kids are in bed. This is really the only time I have to get it done, most nights don't want to because by the time that rolls around, usually 8:30 or later, I am tired and ready for bed. I know everyone says to get up in the morning but that would be like 5am for me, and I have tried it, I am so tired I don't feel like I am getting a good workout at all. Sorry to ramble. Good Luck!!
  • raelbee
    raelbee Posts: 219
    Options
    Hi! I'm also a full-time working mom.

I find that planning healthy food for the workday has been a key to my success. I usually get everything ready for the week on Sunday, including packing any leftovers into single serving containers. Fruits, veggies, nuts, and homemade trail mix are great for snacks. Feel free to look at my diary. Monday thru Thursday I am in the office and my diet is pretty regimented.

As for taking the time for myself at home...that's hard to do, but the more you do it, the easier it becomes. It was really hard for me to realize that I needed "me time" and that time was benefiting not only myself, but the whole family b/c I had a clearer head, felt more energized, and generally more upbeat after spending 30-60 minutes working out. I realized that the better I feel, the happier the family is. It's worth taking that time for yourself.

If I go for a walk, I bring my daughter and husband with me. It allows us to do something together, and I am still working out. My husband and I make fitness goals together, and involving him makes me feel stronger and healthier as a family.

Good luck :)
  • meliamom
    meliamom Posts: 23
    Options
    Hi, I'm also a teacher, and I'm worried about keeping up with exercising when school begins. (That is in 2 weeks for me.) Right now I have been walking 2 miles and doing the elliptical early every morning, but I'm already trying to add in evening time to get in the habit. I know that once school starts, the mornings won't work for me. Between getting 3 boys ready for school, my husband and myself ready for work, I would never have time for a shower....something I'm sure neither my colleagues nor my students would appreciate.lol As far as food goes, I can continue to eat healthy breakfasts, bring a healthy lunch from home, and I usually plan my dinner menus ahead of time. I try to cook at least a week's worth of meals before the first day of class. I know I am overwhelmed that week. I also try to do it each weekend, but sometimes doesn't work out. I do know if I plan out my meals, than I am less likely to get fastfood if I'm in a bind.

Making meals beforehand is a great idea. This whole summer I've planned out the meals for everyday, went grocery shopping and sometimes made meals in advance. I'm hoping to continue this trend when school starts.
  • michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I have found that the only way I can keep working out consistantly throughout the school year is by saying no to others and yes to myself. Example: My principal asks me to head a comittee without compensation, I respectfully decline. If I feel that I am only saying yes to a comittment out of fear or in wanting to please others, then I have to remind myself who is number one here! It's okay for us to say no!
  • LilMizzSunshine
    Options
    Great Idea!! I too work out in the morning in the summer. But of course it is not feasible in the school year. I am gonna start transitioning like you to get my body used to it! Good luck!
  • LilMizzSunshine
    Options
    I have found that the only way I can keep working out consistantly throughout the school year is by saying no to others and yes to myself. Example: My principal asks me to head a comittee without compensation, I respectfully decline. If I feel that I am only saying yes to a comittment out of fear or in wanting to please others, then I have to remind myself who is number one here! It's okay for us to say no!

Yes, so true! It's hard to say NO! But I'll have to because as selfish as it sounds I have to put myself first so that I can be healthy!! I'll have to be strong and think of my health! Thanks for sharing..
  • LilMizzSunshine
    Options
    It IS hard for working moms. I, too, am a teacher, and I always do much better with fitness in the summer. The only redeeming factor about going back in the fall, is I don't tend to eat as much, since I am not walking through the kitchen every 15 minutes, and I don't have to feed my kids constantly, like in the summer.

Here is my plan, though, (this is what I was doing in the winter/spring)--just make it my goal to get 30 minutes of SOMETHING in every day. I tend to get so focused on whatever I am doing that I am inflexibe (i. e. "if I can't run for 45 minutes today,-- fill in with your favorite activity-- I just won't do anything!) So I will just make up my mind to do whatever is available, from walking around the gym while my kids practice, to using a tv workout, or doing the exercise bike (my most hated form of exercise!!). Even if it is not what I really want to do, I've just got to fit something in!! And even a short workout is better than none, if that's all that works (again, I think to myself--"only 20 minutes? Not worth it" I have to change my thinking!).

Yeah, exercise is exercise. Just get sweatin' =) I feel ya about the summer eating. It's hard being at home and not getting the munchies, but I stock the pantry with healthy eats and log all I eat in my food diary to stay honest with myself. We can do this!! Keep it up!

Let's hang in there!!!!!
  • Laianna
    Laianna Posts: 5
    Options
    I am so exhausted at the end of the school day so I know I am going to have to make my workouts in the morning. The place where I am doing my cardio opens at 5am and my plan is to get there and do my cardio and be back home by 5:30 which is my normal shower time. I know getting up at 4:45 is going to suck but it is my time for me.

My boyfriend is a weight lifter so he is about to start me on a weight training program at home. The plan is to do that in the evenings. The kids will have to find something else to do because this is our time to work together. That is the plan. I know i am going to have to discipline myself to achieve my goals. But at 34, I want to be the best teacher, mom, girlfriend I can be and that will require me to sacrifice my time and find the time for the important things. I may need to revisit this post come September... :)
  • cduke25
    cduke25 Posts: 5
    Options
    Thank you for this thread! I am super nervous about going back to school in a few weeks and trying to maintain my health and fitness. I have learned to say no to many things over the last couple years, but my problem is that I am afraid I won't eat during the school day.I just get so involved in the daily tasks of being a teacher that I literally forget to eat. I'm still waiting to find out my exact schedule, but I'm already planning out my preliminary eating schedule to coincide with non-class times. Since I am a very structured person, I'm hoping that seeing those times written in front of me or posted somewhere will keep me disciplined.
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I started my journey about this time last summer. Throughout the school year last year, I would take the first 30-45 minutes when we got home to work out. I was doing the Wii Fit Free Step for 30 minutes because I could start my exercise and then switch over to a show for my kids while I did it. *Please don't get on me for using the TV to babysit my kids! They were right beside me while I worked out, and would frequently "step" with me onto carpet squares.* After I was done with my steps, I would start dinner. On nights that I have school functions (which was frequently because I'm a band and choir teacher!) I would try to walk for 30 minutes in the gym.
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I started back to school 7/26. Since it's half days until 8/13, I've got some time to ease into the new routine. The biggest problem for me at school isn't what I bring for lunch or snacks, it's what's in the break room and communal kitchen area at lunch time. Stressful times of year, around report cards, etc, are the worst since we tend to nonnurture each other with high fat foods.

Last year, I did well when I brought a large package of prewashed greens and containers of salad vegetables to compose for lunch. I fell apart when my husband moved for work, however, and I started single-parenting.... here's to a better year ahead!
  • diet45
    diet45 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I go back the 16th after a 2 yr leave. We adopted a little baby 2 yrs ago and I've been home with her. I have four kids and really have no idea how I will juggle everything. I have been working out in the morning and at night during this summer. I always do my elliptical after my daughter goes to bed, so I will definitely continue that. I think I will try to do the 30 minute Shred a few afternoons a week and then on the week-end. My plan for eating is to plan my meals and snacks in advance. I don't mind eating a protein bar for lunch and healthy snacks. I usually work through my lunch, so that works for me. I'm not sure what I'm doing about family meals. I like the precooking and planning meals, but with three teenage boys in the house...we can't keep food in it. Luckily, my husband doesn't mind grocery shopping or picking something up. The other trick I plan on doing is getting up before everyone else and getting myself completely ready....this makes my day go so much smoother. Then I have time to focus on getting everyone else ready for their day. Hope everyone has a great first week of school.
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I'm a teacher who will be married in a about half a year. I struggle just eating well and working out on my own. I'm not sure what will happen once I'm married. I'm always in awe of what teachers will children do. You're all amazing!

Shannon