Camping food!

Options
2»

Replies

• Southernb3lle
    Southernb3lle Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Make kebabs, foil packets with meat and veggies..etc. :)
  • bookyeti
    bookyeti Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Hubby and I always cook over a campfire - but then again, it's hard to bring a portable BBQ with us in our canoe or backpack, as we always wilderness camp. Here is our favourite meal. Needs to be eaten the first night - or in a pinch, the second - as it can spoil (a coolpack is necessary if you don't have a cooler).

CAMPERS' HASH

- heavy duty aluminum foil
    - medium or regular ground beef <-- lean will burn
    - onion, chopped
    - carrots, chopped
    - turnip, diced
    - parsnip (optional)
    - potato (optional)
    - butter
    - salt / pepper / thyme or any other seasoning, to taste

For one package: Rip off 2 large pieces of the foil - approx 22 inches in length each (the package will be double wrapped for durability). Work with the shiny side facing up (your food goes on the shiny side) -- this is important! Using butter or margarine, spread a relatively thick layer on the foil surface where your food will be. Cut up veggies into bite-size dices, and finely chop up an onion. Mix together in a bowl to distributed evenly. Place a handful for the veggie mix on the foil.

By the way, all the ratios of food are governed by how much you want to use of each, I like lots of onions b/c it gives it real flavor, but it's up to you. Using either regular or medium ground beef (I find lean is too lean and the stuff tends to burn), put large "dabs" of the raw meat amongst the veggies. I usually end up putting a few more dabs o' butter throughout the package as well, or spray with cooking spray on top, so it doesn't stick or burn to the top of the foil package when it's flipped over.

Now comes the important part - fold up the package (the inner package first and then the outer package. It is absolutely IMPERATIVE that there are no holes anywhere in the foil and that you fold the package up so that no steam will escape - the steam is what cooks your food. If there's a hole, you might as well start over because it wont turn out (it will burn really bad).

You place the packets right on top the campfire grill; carefully flip it over (with tongs or two flat sticks). It takes approx. 15-20 minutes to cook if you've got a hot fire. You can also put this directly on top of coals to cook, but reduce the cooking time slightly. ENJOY!

We freeze the packages before we go, so they're nice and cold, and will last a weekend.
  • AmyBeth719
    AmyBeth719 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Fair enough lol! I will be making a lot of my faves to bring, but I guess what I'm asking more specifically is for healthier options for burgers and snack type foods. I have yet to find a turkey burger recipe that I like, or healthy campfire foods.

I make turkey burgers and I add minced fresh mushrooms and onions, garlic, feta and bbq sauce to the meat mixture. So good!
  • penguinlally
    penguinlally Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    When we go camping our protein does consist of a decent amount of chicken and we'll splurge on a couple of relatively lean steaks one night. I've never been a ground beef fan so I would lean towards a healthier variety of sausage (turkey, chicken, tofu) on a bun anyway. You can also grill a number of veggies for the campfire taste without the guilt. (I also LOOOOVE grilled pineapple)

For snacks our main staple is definitely fruit or cut veggies, nuts are also great - especially if you're out and about.

^^^^ THIS FOR SURE! Grilled pineapple is amazing as is grilled mango and most stone fruit - add them to your sausage dishes or slice them up for your salads - if storage isn't an issue you should be fine! Get in some hiking and such to enjoy your evening treats - nothing as good as smarmy roasted marshmallow PEEPS! mmm
  • AmyBeth719
    AmyBeth719 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Hubby and I always cook over a campfire - but then again, it's hard to bring a portable BBQ with us in our canoe or backpack, as we always wilderness camp. Here is our favourite meal. Needs to be eaten the first night - or in a pinch, the second - as it can spoil (a coolpack is necessary if you don't have a cooler).

CAMPERS' HASH

- heavy duty aluminum foil
    - medium or regular ground beef <-- lean will burn
    - onion, chopped
    - carrots, chopped
    - turnip, diced
    - parsnip (optional)
    - potato (optional)
    - butter
    - salt / pepper / thyme or any other seasoning, to taste

For one package: Rip off 2 large pieces of the foil - approx 22 inches in length each (the package will be double wrapped for durability). Work with the shiny side facing up (your food goes on the shiny side) -- this is important! Using butter or margarine, spread a relatively thick layer on the foil surface where your food will be. Cut up veggies into bite-size dices, and finely chop up an onion. Mix together in a bowl to distributed evenly. Place a handful for the veggie mix on the foil.

By the way, all the ratios of food are governed by how much you want to use of each, I like lots of onions b/c it gives it real flavor, but it's up to you. Using either regular or medium ground beef (I find lean is too lean and the stuff tends to burn), put large "dabs" of the raw meat amongst the veggies. I usually end up putting a few more dabs o' butter throughout the package as well, or spray with cooking spray on top, so it doesn't stick or burn to the top of the foil package when it's flipped over.

Now comes the important part - fold up the package (the inner package first and then the outer package. It is absolutely IMPERATIVE that there are no holes anywhere in the foil and that you fold the package up so that no steam will escape - the steam is what cooks your food. If there's a hole, you might as well start over because it wont turn out (it will burn really bad).

You place the packets right on top the campfire grill; carefully flip it over (with tongs or two flat sticks). It takes approx. 15-20 minutes to cook if you've got a hot fire. You can also put this directly on top of coals to cook, but reduce the cooking time slightly. ENJOY!

We freeze the packages before we go, so they're nice and cold, and will last a weekend.

I do something similar...one of my favorite camping meals...we call it Pocket Stew. :-)
  • kegger1997
    Options
    when we camp, we premake our meals and freeze them. hardly bring junk food but then again my husband and 5 yr old is hypogycemic so s'mores are always OUT. we bring lots of veggies and fruits to snack on and lots of nuts and trail mixes. work great for carrying little baggies on loooong hikes.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Veggies. Raw and cooked in the foil packs. Raw nuts. Weight Watchers string cheese. Grilled chicken breasts. Lean steak. Try the egg beaters (or real eggs) in the zip lock bag (I use the freezer bags as they are thicker) mixed with veggies of your choice and a little cheese, turkey sausage crumbles or whatever you like. Place bags in boiling water for an omlete type breakfast. Dried and fresh fruit.
  • carrieo888
    carrieo888 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    We tend to be very active during our camping trips, so I feel ok about a few snackie foods. That said, I generally stay away from turkey burgers as they tend to be high in sodium to be palatable - we use ground bison, ground elk, or lean ground beef. Bison or elk steaks, and chicken breasts, are always in the mix (I keep them frozen, in freezer bags, with marinade, so they get seasoned as they thaw and keep other things cool during transit). Veggie packets (pre-cut and wrapped) to bury in the firepit are also easy. Plus all the fresh fruit and veggies (also pre-cut) you can handle - they're easy to grab & go.

But ya can't have a camping trip without s'mores!
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! Camping season is coming up and in my family we camp a lot! but that also means a lot of junk food and burgers and treats too. So this year I decided to try and bring healthy alternatives to all the goodies our family typically brings in order to stay on track. I'm currently working on a shopping list so I can load up on healthy food options and I'm wondering if anyone had any tips or ideas for healthy camp food?

I should add that we don't exactly rough it lol! we do have portable barbeques and mini fridges so storage and cooking isn't really a problem.

as long as your burgers are not the frozen kind and made from lean ground beef i see nothing wrong with having a great burger. love burgers. you can add almonds, string cheese, yogurt (freeze it), popsicles, baked chips (if you must have them), peanut butter crackers, frozen bananas, veggies, chicken (do fahita night), graham crackers, lots of stuff to eat as long as you have a fridge and bbq area. just stay away from the real bad but oh so good stuff. :) have fun camping.
  • Brialychr3
    Brialychr3 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you are getting at and I'm sure anyone who does a lot of camping would understand especially when there are kids around you tend to bring "easier" type of foods that can be cooked quickly or without must fuss. The other thing is that usually we camp with other people so we "share" the food load so we are not duplicating everything. This makes is much harder as NO ONE else that I know cares to much about what they eat. I also find there is a lot more alcoholic beverages too! Basically what I do is ensure that whatever is on the menu for that weekend or that week of holidays I bring something that fits into what I can eat. We typically BBQ every night so I always volunteer the salad - so whatever meat and a salad is typically the supper. For lunches we do a lot of dips and stuff like that. I make an avacado dip and I use plantain chips with. Its a mushed up avacado and add salsa (as much as you want to your liking) and always ensure that there are veggies & fruit to pick on. Nighttime is a little harder - I will bring nuts, sunflower seeds, if I am desparate I will buy baked chips, salted peanuts and of course I do have days where I have the goodies I just don't make a habit of it. I don't eat wheat so if we have burgers I just have mine without the bun - hotdogs by the campfire are ok as a treat too, I just buy the natural ones (for my kids too). Hope that helps a little bit!
  • MissSjolin
    MissSjolin Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Fantastic tips!! Thank you so much! I feel a little more confident now that I can make our camping experience this year a bit healthier. I'm going to make a lot of my own stuff for sure this time instead of buying it and I'm really excited to try some of your suggestions :):)
  • alsunrise
    alsunrise Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I use the great value (walmart brand) frozen ground beef patties 85/15. They're good, quick and easy, and they aren't horrible calorie wise.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I use the great value (walmart brand) frozen ground beef patties 85/15. They're good, quick and easy, and they aren't horrible calorie wise.

i was curious about the nutritional information on these so i looked it up. 240 calories for one burger not bad but 17 grams of fat thats a lot to me.

the extra lean 96/4 ground beef is 140 calories and 4.5 grams of fat. i could make myself a double burger and it would only cost me an additional 40 calories but i would still be WAY under the fat grams in the 85 lean.
  • cwatts0
    cwatts0 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    My first camping trip of the season is next weekend .. thanks for the ideas.
  • lisag789
    lisag789 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    We just had our first camping trip of the season...it's hard to stay away from the snacky foods...if it was just me and my husband camping it would be easy, but with kids, junk food is always around...so will power it has to be(

The biggest hurdle I have are the 'side dishes", we aren't really roughing it either, but the fridges are only so big and it's hard to pack a garden of veggies. If anyone has any great and easy side dish recipes, please post!

As far as I am concerned, grilled meat is always a healthy option
  • Shan790
    Shan790 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    When we are camping I do so much hiking and biking that I"m ok with a few snacks, I always find it hard to get enough veggies in though. Side dishes tend to lean towards deli salads. I try to make my own versions of them and make broccoli salad or quinoa salad loaded with veggies as side dishes with non mayo dressings.