Shin Splints, Running 5k tomorrow.

Options
2»

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    HELP! :sad:

Tomorrow I am running the Biggest Loser 5K in Laurel, Indiana and I have horrible shin splints. Right now I can't even walk down the hallway without pain shooting through my shins... What can I do by tomorrow to help ease the pain? Right now I am wearing heated wraps around my shins hoping that will help and of course, I will and am gobbing on the muscle cream. Any other "quick" fix remedies that you know of? :heart:

oxy.
    vicodin.
  • bobf279
    bobf279 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I used to have shin splints but rested, iced and got fitted for proper shoes and have never looked back
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I agree with pretty much everyone.... no quick fix, you probably shouldn't run this 5k and you should go out and get fitted for new running shoes.

Other things you can try, ice after every run. Get a foam roller, stretch your hips and calves on it after every run. You can use it on your shins too, as a normal course of business to prevent pain, but I wouldn't recomend doing it while you are having a problem, you'll either pass out or vommit. Make sure you are also getting adequate rest, if you have been running consecutive days, I'd try every other day for a little while. Sign up for a 5k in 4 to 6 weeks, this should give you time to rest up a bit and try out some new stretching techniques.

If you are going to run tomorrow, definitely ice today and take some advil. Be prepared to have to walk most of the way, but really think about it because at this point you are risking further injury and you are basically just running the race for the sake of it, not to do well.
  • eliz_in_pink
    eliz_in_pink Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    HELP! :sad:

Tomorrow I am running the Biggest Loser 5K in Laurel, Indiana and I have horrible shin splints. Right now I can't even walk down the hallway without pain shooting through my shins... What can I do by tomorrow to help ease the pain? Right now I am wearing heated wraps around my shins hoping that will help and of course, I will and am gobbing on the muscle cream. Any other "quick" fix remedies that you know of? :heart:

oxy.
    vicodin.

A man of few words.
  • suzee71
    suzee71 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Try KT tape. You can get it at athletic stores. They have online videos showing you how to use it. Just google kttape and see what you think. I se it for plantar problems and it really helps.
  • suzee71
    suzee71 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Try KT tape. You can get it at athletic stores. They have online videos showing you how to use it. Just google kttape and see what you think. I se it for plantar problems and it really helps.
  • eliz_in_pink
    eliz_in_pink Posts: 278 Member
    Options

One of my best friend's mom was an althetic trainer in track and field for several years- thats what she recommended too! Thanks!
  • meryl135
    meryl135 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I would suggest not running; but I understand if that's not an option you want to take.

If it's possible for you to find some Castor Oil (good quality, organic, from a health food store) you can slather it on your shins, cover with saran wrap and apply the heating pad you're already using. Keep it on for about 15 minutes or so. Repeat every 3-4 hours over the next day (It's really goopy and messy - so be careful with your clothes, the couch, etc).

Internally, castor oil is a nasty laxative but topically it has anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties.

Good luck with you run!