Full even below 1200 calories

Options
1235»

Replies

• SweetJoanne
    SweetJoanne Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I personally feel like a person needs a minimum of 1200 calories and if exercising maybe some more, I have 1200 for myself but I do eat more the days I exercise hard
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    No point forcing yourself to eat a certain way if doesn't make you happy.

What if it makes you healthy?

I don't 'want' to eat healthy foods, I want to eat junk and fatty stuff, that makes me happy, it will also kill me the same way your 600 calorie a day diet could do for you.

Well everyone is different with their relationship with food, fatty things make you happy so you have to work harder to eat healthy. I am just lucky that I enjoy healthy foods and not much of a fatty foods person.

I am not on a 600 calorie a day diet, I just said I ate 600-800 a day usually and sometimes 1000 usually on weekends. I am not on a "diet" this is just how I eat, and have done for quite a few years.

OP- I am not advising you to eat lower, just sharing my experience with not meeting the "1200" goal alot of people have,

You say you've been eating no more than 1000 calories a day for a few years? Not to be invasive, but how do you manage to not be underweight with that kind of intake? If I slack on my calories (probably to 1200-1300) I find the weight scaling down to under weight...and 600? I'd probably be pushing 80 pounds by now.

To hammomh,

Yes, I was wondering the same thing. If you eat a low cal, yet healthy diet, why do you want to lose 15 lbs?
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    Your metabolism is probably totally messed up. So you're eating nothing but gaining weight. You're going to have to eat a lot, lot more, for your metabolism to reset so you can actually lose weight.

I see this all the time, but the math doesn't add up. What percentage slower would you say a messed up metabolism is? And why can't we use slowed metabolism to solve world hunger and malnutrition?

Just wondering, because sometimes it feels like dieters are more likely to question the law of conservation of energy and matter than the 1200 net calories rule.

Soylent Green anyone?
  • phanmale
    phanmale Posts: 25
    Options
    Your metabolism is probably totally messed up. So you're eating nothing but gaining weight. You're going to have to eat a lot, lot more, for your metabolism to reset so you can actually lose weight.

I see this all the time, but the math doesn't add up. What percentage slower would you say a messed up metabolism is? And why can't we use slowed metabolism to solve world hunger and malnutrition?

Just wondering, because sometimes it feels like dieters are more likely to question the law of conservation of energy and matter than the 1200 net calories rule.

Soylent Green anyone?

I had to look up the Soylent Green quote, but my theory is that if you (or hungry world) eats nothing, then your body starts to eat itself. If you are already fat, you have plenty of energy reserves over and above hungry world chappie. HOWEVER, hungry world person doesn't get the opportunity of a nice big bar of chocolate, a bowl of Ben and Jerry's or a juicy hamburger. If fat person is in starvation mode, but every now and again binges on high fat and/or high calorie food, then fat bod hangs on to that for fear it might not get fed again. Hence fat person gets fatter and hungry world gets hungrier and more mal-nourished. How does that sound for a possibility?
    Not saying it's correct, just an observation...
  • skincy
    skincy Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Like I said previous. I do not eat weightwatchers meals all the time. I'm currently working mega long hours and it is convenient for me this week an this week only! I normally have chicken and veg for a main meal and say cracker bread and tuna for lunch. Iv still not tackled breakfast yet but I'm thinking the protein shakes may be a good idea on a morning to start with. It's hard to break a habit of a lifetime and eat right as I'm sure all of you well know. It is all very new to me! I'm training for a half marathon too which gives me even MORE calories to consume and it's hard work! Nuts ect are a good idea and full fat milk too.

The more miles you run I guarantee you, you will start getting hungry. I am an avid runner and if you do not fuel you body properly when running alot of miles you will likely gain weight! That is what happened to me. Make sure that you are eating those running calories back and do a moderate calorie deficit or your body will suffer while training.
  • jourdanerin
    Options
    yesterday you ate 500 calories....

i have absoultely no idea how you werent hungry enough to gnaw off your own arm after just a banana and cup of tea for breakfast....

I agree! Want to or not you need to eat more. Drink milk, cook with olive oil, eat peanut butter with your banana.
    I have no idea how you aren't starving to death.

I used to do what you said, eat nothing for days then binge for days. But eating so little everyday is not maintainable.
  • Almaviva14
    Almaviva14 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I can't say this is a problem that occurs very often for me LOL...but when occasionally it does, I find there are two things that sort of tickle the taste buds and appetite.
    1. A perfectly ripe mango. Totally delicious
    2. Those tiny little yakult drinks (I guess you have them in the USA too?)
  • jukyu
    jukyu Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Based on your history, your metabolism is shot. :( the only way to repair it is to a) eat more b) increase your LBM by lifting/resistance training
  • HotrodsGirl0107
    HotrodsGirl0107 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    No point forcing yourself to eat a certain way if doesn't make you happy.

What if it makes you healthy?

I don't 'want' to eat healthy foods, I want to eat junk and fatty stuff, that makes me happy, it will also kill me the same way your 600 calorie a day diet could do for you.

Well everyone is different with their relationship with food, fatty things make you happy so you have to work harder to eat healthy. I am just lucky that I enjoy healthy foods and not much of a fatty foods person.

I am not on a 600 calorie a day diet, I just said I ate 600-800 a day usually and sometimes 1000 usually on weekends. I am not on a "diet" this is just how I eat, and have done for quite a few years.

OP- I am not advising you to eat lower, just sharing my experience with not meeting the "1200" goal alot of people have,

You say you've been eating no more than 1000 calories a day for a few years? Not to be invasive, but how do you manage to not be underweight with that kind of intake? If I slack on my calories (probably to 1200-1300) I find the weight scaling down to under weight...and 600? I'd probably be pushing 80 pounds by now.

What has happened is this poster has completely destroyed their metabolism. I have done this when I was going through an Ed. I ate 800 or less for years and eventually 800 became maintenance. I also got very ill, damaged my heart and it took a long time to be able to feed my body correctly and I still will have to work hard for years to rebuild some of the muscle lost through starving myself. I just want people to know that starving yourself is never the answer I don't care how "successful" people claim they are or have been on them.

This poster also admitted they don't care about metabolism, I would say the number on the scale is what matters to people like this not health.