Hypothyroid

Options

Replies

• pinksparklefairy
    pinksparklefairy Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    One thing I have found with hypothyroidism - I think it is connected - is that I started getting migraines when I did not eat regularly. I tried doing the 5:2 diet but had to stop because of the headaches. Keep your blood sugar level from dropping too low by eating every 3 hours.

I also feel like I need to do lots of high-impact aerobics to speed up my metabolism.

You can lose the weight but be prepared to spend a year or more before you reach your goal!
  • Hi_Im_Jess
    Hi_Im_Jess Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I agree about the migraines! People think Im just being a drama queen when Im hungry but I genuinely don't feel good and Ive even gotten dizzy (passed out once) and I immediately feel better after I eat something.
  • Hi_Im_Jess
    Hi_Im_Jess Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Also... would it be ok if I added some of you? Its so hard to find people that understand hypothyroidism :(
  • lorieric5037
    Options
    I've been on Synthroid for 38 years since most of my thyroid was removed when I was 12. Lab tests every 6 months or so keep me on track & I've never had a problem losing weight when I choose to. Everybody reacts differently to meds.:flowerforyou:
  • patty43ck
    patty43ck Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    One thing I have found with hypothyroidism - I think it is connected - is that I started getting migraines when I did not eat regularly. I tried doing the 5:2 diet but had to stop because of the headaches. Keep your blood sugar level from dropping too low by eating every 3 hours.

I also feel like I need to do lots of high-impact aerobics to speed up my metabolism.

You can lose the weight but be prepared to spend a year or more before you reach your goal!

I am doing 5:2 as well and have not been bothered by headaches at all. It is actually the best diet plan I have tried because I can see myself doing it long term. Everyone is different and different things work for different people which is truly evidenced by people with thyroid disorder. Several people with the same condition but on different medications with different doses. One thing that is common is that we are all here to lose weight and if it was easy we wouldn't be here right?
  • Kaylsabails
    Options
    So I came home from the Doctors office today crying my eyes out... turns out my thyroid is producing hormones on its own and that is not my problem... I have an extreme amount of TPO antibodies (normal would be 30 or under my number is 400) that are attacking my thyroid. My doctor pretty much said that there is really nothing she can do for me other than wait and get another blood test in 6 months.. I am devastated I thought I would be put on medication and start to feel better... but nothing... now what ... I am so depressed and don't see a light at the end of this tunnel... devastated! Still no answers as to why I work out like a crazy person, barely eat and put on enough weight to not fit into any of my clothes... :(
  • stephcalcott
    stephcalcott Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    So I came home from the Doctors office today crying my eyes out... turns out my thyroid is producing hormones on its own and that is not my problem... I have an extreme amount of TPO antibodies (normal would be 30 or under my number is 400) that are attacking my thyroid. My doctor pretty much said that there is really nothing she can do for me other than wait and get another blood test in 6 months.. I am devastated I thought I would be put on medication and start to feel better... but nothing... now what ... I am so depressed and don't see a light at the end of this tunnel... devastated! Still no answers as to why I work out like a crazy person, barely eat and put on enough weight to not fit into any of my clothes... :(

Is it possible to go see an endocrinologist? I think that a lot of times people do take a "wait and see" approach to raised TPO antibodies, but 6 months seems like a long time to wait. I read somewhere that taking selenium helps with raised TPO antibodies - maybe do some research and see if there is anything to that.

Try not to get too stressed out about this (it could make it worse). Just keep eating well, stay hydrated and exercise. I am also a believer that a lot of our food has an impact on all these hormones. Thinking about the hormones that are pumped into cows and chickens - unless you buy grass fed, or organic, or free range you never know what you're putting into your body. It's not always possible (or economically feasible) to buy your food like this but if you can it might help too.

I'm sorry that you're dealing with this!
  • groovyreba
    groovyreba Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Also... would it be ok if I added some of you? Its so hard to find people that understand hypothyroidism :(

Feel free.
  • Dlacenere
    Dlacenere Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    You seriously need a new doctor and I am not joking. I am 43 years old and have had Hashimoto's - where antibodies are attacking my thyroid and it only functions on medication - since I was 25. You are probably not losing weight because of this issue and the stress of how much you workout could potentially be making it worse - exercise is stress to your body - and when you have too many antibodies, this is an autoimmune situation and extreme stress will make it worse. Also, when you eat in such an extreme deficit (I saw your other post that you are eating 700-900 calories per day - is that net or gross? Either way, it's way too low - low calories suppresses your T3 hormones - even when you don't have a thyroid issue - and T3 is crucial to losing weight). I have been on medication since my 20's and when you have it under control and eat enough of the right calories and exercise moderately, you can definitely lose, build muscle and keep up the same as everyone else. Do you have your lab results? I would be interested to hear where your levels were at and am very surprised they held back on medication. My heart goes out to you as I know exactly how you feel :-(. You need to take control of this situation and get a new doctor - and educate yourself as much as possible before you go, when you have a thyroid issue it's a must. I suggest starting with going to www.stopthethyroidmadness.com, it has everything you would ever want to know about this. I hope everything works out sooner than later.
  • Frankenbarbie01
    Frankenbarbie01 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Just my two bits.......
    I struggled with inability to lose weight (3 months of P90X...down 2 pounds!!!!!) dry skin, freezing all the time, crazy hormone moods, irregular menstrual cycle, hair falling out in clumps....To have my family doctor tell me "Well I dont think you are honest about what you are eating. Your thyroid is fine!!! It's in RANGE!!!!....." He was less than helpful, so I went to a naturopath...which he reprimanded me for and called it "hoakey, psudio witch doctoring"

I found a naturopath who was female and understood why it was horrible having 18 day periods!! She put me on an iodine solution, vit D and we started with 25mg dose of natural dessicated thyroid, from a natural source. I began feeling better almost IMMEDIATELY. That was about 5 months ago and almost ALL of those issues have been resolved or greatly improved.

YOU NEED TO BE YOUR OWN ADVOCATE!!!!!!!! I found that my family doctor wanted to treat my 'issues' (re: heres a pill for this, a pill for that...) my naturopath is more interested in how I feel and my quality of life. But this is my experience.
    Dont give up! If you dont feel GOOD you need to keep telling health care professionals until someone says, well lets find out WHY you feel like this!! Keep your chin up...I believe you will find a solution that will improve your quality of life, just dont quit! =)
  • lalonmeg000
    lalonmeg000 Posts: 276 Member
    Options

1. NEVER take generic Synthroid. Always insist on the brand name drug.
    2. Listen to your body. Unfortunately, you won't always be using the same prescription. Your body will change, things like birth control (going on it or off it) pregnancy, getting older, etc. mess with your hormones and your prescription will need to be adjusted accordingly.
    3. In case you haven't gotten a theme with the first two - get an endocrinologist!
    4. You CAN lose weight.

Couldn't have said it better!

My endo doesn't even prescribe Synthroid, I take Armour for my hypothyroidizm. I was very fortunate to found a doctor that also tested the different sub categories if you will, of the thyroid , and realized my T3 wasn't normal so he prescribed me a special compound of just the T3 in conjunction with the armour. My mom took Synthroid for a while and it actually worsened her depression which made for a vicious cycle. Finally once I was diaganosed and put on Armour she had her doctor switch her to armour and all has been well.

Keep in mind it takes a good 3 months minimum to level out your levels. Mine took an entire year before I could get the right combo of meds, however in the past 9 months I have been able to finally drop 30lbs that otherwise was not going to come off.

Through all of this I also found out I was severly annemic and deficcient in B12 and D, you may ask your doctor to check those levels as well which can affect overall health, weight loss, and energy.

best of luck, it does get better, promise!
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    On the generic vs name brand Synthroid...I actually was started on the generic, & when a new doctor tried to switch me to the name brand...my body wasn't absorbing it as well...breakthrough symptoms...so I switched back to generic. Everyone's different, & if the cheaper generic works for you, then why not.
  • FP4HSharon
    Options
    Kim can you give me more information about the coconut oil. What does it actually do. How do you take it? Do you use it instead of olive oil in cooking and putting on salads. Does it really help with the weight loss?

I couldn't stomach the coconut oil, but I started eating just one Archway Coconut Macaroon a day & was able to cut my Synthroid dose in half.

ON THE MIGRAINES...I notice that when I'm getting too much Synthroid, I have migraines. For me, a lot of migraines is usually a sign I need to have my levels checked & not take as much Synthroid.
  • avatrx
    avatrx Posts: 52
    Options
    I am one of those self -employed small business owners who had to give up health insurance several years ago and is eagerly awaiting some health care plan my hubby and I can afford. We've always been healthy, but when we went over 50 - even though we rarely had any claims and really ever visited a doctor - our insurance skyrocketed from about $450mo to almost $1500 with a 10K deductible and other really crappy things.

I started taking Iodoral - an iodine supplement which did seem to help. Here in the rustbelt we get very little iodine in anything. I've wondered whether or not I had a thyroid issue but probably won't find out until I'm 65 and on Medicare of sooner if I move to France or they do something about the for-profit health care in THIS country.

I do try very hard at logging calories, and I do move as much as possible. average step per day of 5K - but try to do more whenever possible. do workouts of 30+ minutes at least 4 times per week. I used to be able to lose weight easily. Not so much anymore despite my efforts. I refuse to give up. I'm losing girth by a little, but pounds are pretty much staying the same.

sure can get discouraging....................wish I could blame it on a thyroid, but I guess I'll never know.............

I have learned that the tests to indicate thyroid issues don't always show a problem even if there is one - because their standards are off. learned that from a friend who studies that stuff.
  • FP4HSharon
    Options
    I have learned that the tests to indicate thyroid issues don't always show a problem even if there is one - because their standards are off. learned that from a friend who studies that stuff.

A lot of doctors/labs are using out of date standards, based on American Board of Endocrinologists recommendations. Also, some people are subclinical, where they are having symptoms, but test in the ok range, indicating their bodies may just need more.
  • crosbymo
    crosbymo Posts: 15
    Options
    I recently started actually using My Fitness Pal and am happy I found this board!

I am 24 and was diagnosed with hypothyroidism 2 years ago. In these 2 years I have gained between 15-20 pounds and have found it basically impossible to lose this weight. I exercise regularly, but now I've come to the realization that I need to be very strict with my diet and exercise, so I'm hoping this calorie counting will help!

In response to a couple of points people have raised:

-I have taken generic (levothyroxine) and synthroid. I've never noticed a difference between the two.
    -I have noticed a difference after going to an ENDOCRINOLOGIST. She did extensive testing and ultimately upped my dosage. I will always go to an endocrinologist from now on.

I will definitely check out coconut oil--didn't know that could help.
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    yes, you can lose weight once your synthroid is optimized. I have lost 44 pounds so far.
  • weinbagel
    weinbagel Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I have hashimoto's, which is similar to hypo. I am on a natural thyroid medication, and up until recently, I was not able to lose much weight. I was similar to you, in that I ate a lot of fruit, but everything else I ate was really clean. I cut out fruit almost entirely, I am back on track now. Good luck! Add if you want!
  • arizonastamplover
    arizonastamplover Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with hypothyroid after several years of trying to get a diagnosis. I am still adjusting with the medication, and go back for a recheck with my doctor in a week. I've been on Armour for three months, and I am able to lose weight on it, but it is a struggle. My eating needs to be spot on, and my carb intake needs to be very minimal in the late afternoon/evening, otherwise the weight won't budge. I also need the exercise to get the weight off - adjusting my calorie intake alone doesn't do it for me. With hypothyroidism, a large part of it is finding what works for your particular body.

My recommendation for all those that think they have hypothyroidism or hashimotos, or have been diagnosed with it, is that you are your own advocate for your health. Someone else said that on here, and it couldn't be further from the truth. I'm actually seeing an internist for the management of my thyroid because two endocrinologists turned me away. Find someone that is right for you and will listen to you. My doctors philosophy is that hormones are the root of many of the body's problems, and I tend to agree :)
  • nooshi82
    nooshi82 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you're really hypothyroid, then restoring your missing thyroid hormone should help you lose weight. It's a delicate balance between too much and too little thyroid hormone so sometimes you need close follow up to adjust your dose in the beginning. My thyroid levels have always been normal but I have all the symptoms of hypothyroid so my doctor tried me on a teeny dose and I've been losing. I was eating 1400 calories a day, exercising daily, and GAINING weight before going on the Synthroid (20 mcg btw). Since I started 2 weeks ago on the meds, I've lost 7 pounds. I have been trying for years to lose, and even have a personal trainer so I was very frustrated and at my wits end. Some people are subclinical hypothyroid. I really believe that.