5'6" & small framed girls. What's your goal weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• AhlaWahda
    AhlaWahda Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4" and my goal is to a certain size. I try not to focus on the number on the scale because I know that I have gained muscle weight. Generally though I know that I can maintain 125 and stay healthy. The important thing is to make sure you are taking in enough calories (and the right calories).

I agree. I do want to have a goal weight as well though since it helps me stay motivated. My goal size is to be a US 4 (I'm a 6 now) and have a 23-24" waist (25.5" now). For me those are more important than my weight but I believe I'll accomplish all those at a weight of 115-118 lbs. I used a calculator that said with my current weight and body composition, I would reach 18% body fat at a weight of 118 lbs. I know it's just a guideline but I think it sounds about right.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I'm just under 5'6" and small-framed, but bottom-heavy. My natural waist isn't noticeably narrower than my rib cage (regardless of angle of viewing), unless I haven't eaten in a while. I'm also far from gifted genetically when it comes to breasts/butt (I blame Asian genes...), so when I was up at a "normal" weight of ~135 lbs a couple years ago, I pretty much had a pot belly/flabby limbs/visible ribs/still no feminine curves, and it was just downright ridiculous.

Been aiming to drop about 15 lbs and end up around 100-105. Maybe. I know I can maintain around 110-115 without really paying attention to calories, but I doubt 100-105 is going to be long-term unless I want to "diet" for the rest of my life.

I don't really care what people think, since my body doesn't give me the option of being at a so-called "normal" weight without looking stupid. I do lift, but I have no intention of gaining enough muscle to have an athletic physique either.

from what you have said, you just need to lose a bit of bodyfat, not really scale weight.

do you do any strength training at the moment?
  • AhlaWahda
    Options
    Weight shouldn't be your governing factor of a goal if you are not in the "obese" range IMO. Without starting any type of debate, my own opinion is "frame size" is also not a factor. IMO, body fat percentage should really be what you are eyeing.

I'm 5'4" tall. I've never had anyone call me "tiny, thin, or small" I'm german built and always grew up "big boned". Frankly it's rather silly, because I had to learn that in the big picture this really never made a different.

I'm currently 130 lbs - I've gained about 10lbs since I broke my ankle in October and am hopeful to lose some to get my body fat percentage back down the the 15% it was when I was injured. However, I'm a size 0, and even with a 10lb weight gain, my clothes still fit the same. I know my body fat is higher than it was, but the weight really didn't make a different in the overall picture of my body.

My son was looking at a photo of me and my first race and my photo from my marathon I broke my ankle in - it was about 2 1/2 years between the two photos. He said "WOW mom, you really lost a lot of weight." I didn't really, it's a 10lb weight difference in the photos. But I was a size 6 (down from size 12/14 where I started) in the first photo and in the last photo a size 0.

Weight training made the difference, I lost inches, got lean, had abs, muscle definition, etc, not just the number on the scale.

I'm not sure if I understood you correctly but I do believe in frame sizes. I mean our bone structures are different and we'll look different even if we're the same height, weight and muscle mass. You can look at two people that are the same height and weight but still look so different from one another. You could say it has to do with muscle mass and yes that too, but also their body composition and frame size. It's like people automatically assume that if I'm 5'6" and weigh 115 lbs, I'm gonna be super skinny and don't have a lot of muscle mass which I don't believe is true. Many on this forum seem a bit obsessed with building muscle. It may look good on others but I don't want to increase my muscle mass but only lose body fat and for that I would naturally need to lose more weight. Vertical lines are already visible on my belly and I really don't want to have horizontal lines as well.
  • Missyb322
    Missyb322 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" tall and have a small frame. I found that if I weigh low 120's I look too thin. My perfect weight seems to be around 130-135.
  • BarbaraBarrHaylock
    Options
    At your height, 115 lbs put you at 18.6 BMI where Normal weight = 18.5–24.9 BMI.

Re-adjusting your goals is always good but I can see where people who care about you may get concerned with your striving to get thinner. Hopefully you are getting fitter because remember muscle weighs more than fat so if you've really shaped up, to others you may really look thin.

Why not try living at your latest goal of 120 for 6 months and see how much effort it is to maintain. All your great effort should go into a life-style change not just a number change on your scale.

If after 5-months you're still at 120 and are comfortable with the effort level to maintain that weight, you can then decide whether you want to drop the other 5 lbs.

Good job!

Barbara
  • FitMrsR
    FitMrsR Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" and I was 112lbs before I got pregnant. I really didn't look too thin at all. I would like to get back to that size after I have the baby but with more muscle this time. This is what I looked like at 112

f7b231e00ef611e29be31231381b5339_7.jpg

Edited for typos
  • Aleysia87
    Aleysia87 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm just under 5'6" and small-framed, but bottom-heavy. My natural waist isn't noticeably narrower than my rib cage (regardless of angle of viewing), unless I haven't eaten in a while. I'm also far from gifted genetically when it comes to breasts/butt (I blame Asian genes...), so when I was up at a "normal" weight of ~135 lbs a couple years ago, I pretty much had a pot belly/flabby limbs/visible ribs/still no feminine curves, and it was just downright ridiculous.

Been aiming to drop about 15 lbs and end up around 100-105. Maybe. I know I can maintain around 110-115 without really paying attention to calories, but I doubt 100-105 is going to be long-term unless I want to "diet" for the rest of my life.

I don't really care what people think, since my body doesn't give me the option of being at a so-called "normal" weight without looking stupid. I do lift, but I have no intention of gaining enough muscle to have an athletic physique either.

from what you have said, you just need to lose a bit of bodyfat, not really scale weight.

do you do any strength training at the moment?

I do body weight exercises at home, yes, usually either 5 x 12 reps or 5 x 5 reps depending on the exercise. While I look a bit skinny-fat, I can do pistols (single-leg squats), full push-ups, walk up 500-step staircases, hold a plank for 2 minutes, whatever. Not amazing, but not terrible either, I hope. Maybe I'll work towards handstand push-ups. :tongue:

I'll put it this way... my rib cage right under my breasts measures something like 26.8 inches. I literally DO NOT HAVE A WAIST unless my stomach is smaller than that. Aiming for 23 inches, which means being pretty thin by normal standards. I also don't really think I want a 6-pack or 4-pack, maybe just a slight 2-pack. :laugh:
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6 small frame I guess.
    Don't know my current weight, but my first goal is under 120lbs and then i would absolutely love to be back at 113lbs.
    But I would be happy at 115.
  • crlyxx
    crlyxx Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" and I was 112lbs before I got pregnant. I really didn't look too thin at all. I would like to get back to that size after I have the baby but with more muscle this time. This is what I looked like at 112

Edited for typos

Sheesh, that's awesome. I'm nearly 5'7", 114 but I feel I don't look that thin at all :I
  • AhlaWahda
    Options

Edited for typos

Thanks for the pic! You look great and not too skinny at all in my opinion. :-) Good to know that I'm not the only one who needs to weigh less to look my best. :-)