Bob Harper's new book--only 800 calories/day?!

Options

Replies

• Ascolti_la_musica
    Ascolti_la_musica Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Doesn't he usually train people who are morbidly obese, though?

This is problematic thinking, and you are not the only one in this thread posting along those lines.

Morbidly obese people need MORE calories. Not less. Moving 400 pounds requires more energy (calories) than moving 150 pounds. Why do so many people think it is ok for morbidly obese people to practice habits that would, in a healthy person, be considered dangerously anorexic? Burn 3,000 calories per day from exercise, but only eat 800. Really? Would you recommend that to ANYONE you care about?

As a recently morbidly obese person, I call BULL**** on the very idea!

No matter what your starting weight, you should eat AT LEAST your BMR. Not because "zomg starvation mode." If you have access to food, there is no reason to starve yourself. (Starving is painful, and causes all kinds of long term damage- but I don't consider 800 calories "starving.")

Eating BMR calories allows your heart to beat, your brain to process information, and your lungs to breathe. Eating your TDEE allows you to do all that while maintaining your current body weight. A happy medium in between allows you to lose weight and still have energy to exercise and improve your health.

PLEASE STOP PROMOTING ANOREXIA FOR OBESE PEOPLE! We enjoy our body functions just as much as you do!
  • perfectionisntme
    perfectionisntme Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    yep! He was on a morning show the other day promoting this "diet"!! He was saying it's safe if you only do it for say 3 weeks to get into a wedding dress or swim suit!! Looks like he's gone the way of the dollar and quick fixes instead of health as well. Sad!

She knocked it on the head.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    I would hate life at 800 calories a day. There would be no point in living, at least not for me.
    If I can be fit with 1800-2000+ calories a day, I'll definitely choose that route.
  • jreese5226
    jreese5226 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Not sticking up for him per se... However, if you only saw a brief excerpt there might be more to it. For example, I heard he said in his book that he doesn't count fruits and vegetables as calories. So maybe he means 800 calories of just meats, dairy, grains and oils?

He was on Doctor Oz and this was exactly what he said. Eat as many fruits and vegs as you want throughout the day (even 800 calories worth if you wanted to). Don't know enough about it to have a full opinion.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Well, it would be really hard to get in all the nutrients your body needs on 800 cals a day. And no, supplements aren't good enough to make up for it.

Its actually not hard to get the nutrients necessary. There is no room for any packaged food and such. Protein, fat, vegetables and fruit.

It will be very basic, yet easy to follow.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Well, it would be really hard to get in all the nutrients your body needs on 800 cals a day. And no, supplements aren't good enough to make up for it.

Its actually not hard to get the nutrients necessary. There is no room for any packaged food and such. Protein, fat, vegetables and fruit.

• Clemsonlkg
    Clemsonlkg Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Serving size: less than 1
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options

And he's not advocating just 800/day anyway..unlimited fruits and veg. Plenty of nutrients there. Mountain out of a mole hill really. Most of us kind of do this anyway. Try doing your diary for a day and see what you eat at base without fruit n veg and packaged food. Probably won't be far off 800.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    A 300 pound person with 75% BF has a much lower BMR than a 300 pound person with 10% BF. Stored body fat is a great fuel source, so people who are obese can eat at a much lower calorie level without harming themselves, as long as they are getting in the necessary nutrients.
    Unfortunately, many people will just see the 800 cal number and not pay attention to choosing the right foods.

100 gr Protein = 400 cals
    40 gr Healthy fats= 360 cals
    10 gr of small grain serving in the morning= 40 cals

Total cals= 800 for core diet. Add in unlimited fruits and non starch veggies and you can easily surpass 1200 cals.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

This is problematic thinking, and you are not the only one in this thread posting along those lines.

Morbidly obese people need MORE calories. Not less. Moving 400 pounds requires more energy (calories) than moving 150 pounds. Why do so many people think it is ok for morbidly obese people to practice habits that would, in a healthy person, be considered dangerously anorexic? Burn 3,000 calories per day from exercise, but only eat 800. Really? Would you recommend that to ANYONE you care about?

No matter what your starting weight, you should eat AT LEAST your BMR. Not because "zomg starvation mode." If you have access to food, there is no reason to starve yourself. (Starving is painful, and causes all kinds of long term damage- but I don't consider 800 calories "starving.")

Eating BMR calories allows your heart to beat, your brain to process information, and your lungs to breathe. Eating your TDEE allows you to do all that while maintaining your current body weight. A happy medium in between allows you to lose weight and still have energy to exercise and improve your health.

PLEASE STOP PROMOTING ANOREXIA FOR OBESE PEOPLE! We enjoy our body functions just as much as you do!

Yeah, no, it actually doesn't work that way. Anorexia would be anyone with a BMI of 18.5 or less so i'll just skip that whole shpeal altogether. The larger you are the greater a deficit you can safely have because the more fat you have stored.

It's clear that you are not trained on the subject in any way shape or form if you think your BMR is significantly more important than the deficit created from your tdee. Eating below your BMR does not cause "starvation mode" in someone who is morbidly obese. Or probably anyone for that matter.

Your body WILL continue to function, because you have over 100lbs of purely body fat.

This is the part you need to research. I'm sure your education level is that of the standard MFP forum poster; so i emplore you to go beyond MFP and speak with a nutritionist, a physician, someone trained in this field with years of study and experience. Even patient's who have gastric bypass surgery consume 800-1000 calories a day to lose weight.
  • gr8pillock
    gr8pillock Posts: 374 Member
    Options

Yeah, no, it actually doesn't work that way. Anorexia would be anyone with a BMI of 18.5 or less so i'll just skip that whole shpeal altogether. The larger you are the greater a deficit you can safely have because the more fat you have stored.

It's clear that you are not trained on the subject in any way shape or form if you think your BMR is significantly more important than the deficit created from your tdee. Eating below your BMR does not cause "starvation mode" in someone who is morbidly obese. Or probably anyone for that matter.

Your body WILL continue to function, because you have over 100lbs of purely body fat.

This is the part you need to research. I'm sure your education level is that of the standard MFP forum poster; so i emplore you to go beyond MFP and speak with a nutritionist, a physician, someone trained in this field with years of study and experience. Even patient's who have gastric bypass surgery consume 800-1000 calories a day to lose weight.

In response to the first part of this post, I have to say go look up Eat, Fast, and Live Longer by Michael Mosely. Being hungry/fasting when done in pattern and for healthy periods (and as long as you're not pregnant, underweight, or suffering from some form of eating disorder) is not life threatening by any means. In fact, calorie restriction causes your cells to repair, your brain to repair and build new brain cells, your IGF1, cholesterol and triglycerides to drop, and helps maintain healthy body fat and weight. WHEN DONE PROPERLY, I emphasize.

My response to the second comment (and the first really) is the free use of the word Anorexia. I mean no offense to either of you, by any means, I simply draw attention to the fact that Anorexia isn't a BMI or a calorie deficit and cannot be diagnosed by either. It's a mental disorder and can happen in a person who is both very large, or very small, though yes, the very large person will not remain that way for long if not helped. The factors are not in their weight, but in their relationship with food.

Eating 800 calories a day is a low number in the western world, but many do it with safe results and are prescribed to do so by doctors. Short spans of high caloric restriction in itself are not a gateway to mental disorders, starvation mode, or any other melange of health issues, unless the person's relationship with food changes. It was prescribed as a short term approach to weight loss which may have good results for some, but if their approach to food reverts to the previous unhealthy habits from before this restrictive approach, chances are they'll gain it all back...
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

In response to the first part of this post, I have to say go look up Eat, Fast, and Live Longer by Michael Mosely. Being hungry/fasting when done in pattern and for healthy periods (and as long as you're not pregnant, underweight, or suffering from some form of eating disorder) is not life threatening by any means. In fact, calorie restriction causes your cells to repair, your brain to repair and build new brain cells, your IGF1, cholesterol and triglycerides to drop, and helps maintain healthy body fat and weight. WHEN DONE PROPERLY, I emphasize.

My response to the second comment (and the first really) is the free use of the word Anorexia. I mean no offense to either of you, by any means, I simply draw attention to the fact that Anorexia isn't a BMI or a calorie deficit and cannot be diagnosed by either. It's a mental disorder and can happen in a person who is both very large, or very small, though yes, the very large person will not remain that way for long if not helped. The factors are not in their weight, but in their relationship with food.

Eating 800 calories a day is a low number in the western world, but many do it with safe results and are prescribed to do so by doctors. Short spans of high caloric restriction in itself are not a gateway to mental disorders, starvation mode, or any other melange of health issues, unless the person's relationship with food changes. It was prescribed as a short term approach to weight loss which may have good results for some, but if their approach to food reverts to the previous unhealthy habits from before this restrictive approach, chances are they'll gain it all back...

That's actually incorrect-

What is the DSM IV Diagnostic Criteria for Anorexia Nervosa?

The DSM-IV (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual, Volume 4) provides guidelines and criteria for mental disorders. In terms of eating disorders the DSM-IV provides diagnostic criteria for anorexia, bulimia and EDNOS (Eating Disorders Not Otherwise Specified). It is important to remember that someone can still have an eating disorder or body image issues and not meet the diagnostic criteria.

The DSM-IV criteria for Anorexia Nervosa is as follows:

A. A refusal to maintain body weight at or above a minimally normal weight for age and height (e.g. weight loss leading to a maintenance of body weight less than 85% of that expected, or failure to make expected weight gain during period of growth, leading to body weight less than 85% of that expected).

B. Intense fear of gaining weight or becoming fat, even though underweight.

C. Disturbance in the way in which one's body weight or shape is experienced, undue influence of body weight or shape on self-evaluation, or denial of the seriousness of the current low body weight.

Specify type:

Restricting Type: During the current episode of Anorexia Nervosa, the person has not regularly engaged in binge-eating or purging behaviour (i.e. self-induced vomiting or the misuse of laxatives, diuretics or enemas)

Binge-Eating/Purging Type: During the current episode of Anorexia Nervosa, the person has regularly engaged in binge-eating or purging behaviour (i.e. self induced vomiting or the misuse of laxatives, diuretics or enemas).

References:
    American Psychiatric Association. (1994). Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (4th Ed.) United States of America: American Psychiatric Association.

So, again, you must be 85% less than expected to be considered "anorexic" or have anorexia nervosa.

I am not saying people should eat a low amount of calories for an extended period of time. My point was simply that the larger you are the greater your deficit can be without causing ill effects. Hence my point of "doesn't he usually train obese people?" because if that's the case... i can see why he might think it would be okay to suggest that. He is not a physician and i don't think him or a lot of the people writing diet books should be giving advice.... would eating 800 calories a day for a long period of time for someone ALREADY with a small amount of weight to lose be good advice? No, not really. But if you are morbidly obese and can withstand the greater deficit... well... assuming you are getting proper nutrition, who cares?
  • lisamarie1780
    lisamarie1780 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    *sigh* that's all I can do
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    He is a celebrity. He doesn't care about health anymore, just sales from quick fixes...I mean he sells diet pills...
  • 130annie
    130annie Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I thought he had more sense!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    This dumb *kitten* recommends 1200 for guys....I was eating 2200 calories per day and lost my 35 Lbs...**** off with 1200 calories, I'd rather shoot myself.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    What do you expect? Biggest loser goes to extremes to get people to lose weight for the cameras. Bob Harper and Jillian Michaels are brands, they need to sell and will do/say anything to make money.
  • perfekta
    perfekta Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I would be in the fetal position sucking my thumb with only1200 calories a day.

I second that. And 800? Someone would get murdered.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    He's stupid. No complex carbs after breakfast???? First off breakfast is breaking a fast and when you break a fast protein is a lot more important than eating a lot of complex carbs, for most people it doesn't really matter, but if you have a metabolic disorder it might. Secondly a lot of vegetables contain complex carbs so much for no complex carbs after breakfast. Looks to me like Bob is the biggest loser. Too bad his book will allow him to take a check to the bank.
  • whosthathotchick
    Options
    This is why I must prefer to read Jillian Michael's books. She practices what she preaches and she is concerned about your overall health versus a quick fix.