Recovery Runs

Options
JessiJean
JessiJean Posts: 1,207 Member
How many runners have really done recovery runs? I found it really hard to do an easy, slow recovery run today, but I did it and it was truly refreshing! If you've done recovery runs, what were your goals for that run? (speed, time, ect)

Replies

• agbaeb
    agbaeb Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    bump
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    I do 15-30 minutes out and then come back. Just try to keep my hr happy and kind of put it on cruise. Sometimes I drive it later to see how far i went so I know my pace, most of the time I just let it be.
  • ctpeace
    ctpeace Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    time only for me (as in time total running, not how fast). I'm training for my 2nd half marathon, and after a long run, my next run is basically about going through the motions and making my muscles untense long enough to work through the soreness. Sometimes they feel like s#!t during the run if I'm particularly sore, but the benefits afterwards are pretty great from my experience. Getting the blood pumping seems to help the body work through. No science here, but they work for me!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I do recovery runs by a combination of time and heartrate. Either around 40 minutes at easy run heartrate (around 75% max) or around an hour at recovery heartrate (around 65% max). Usually the former are on my own and the latter are my second run of the day with a group.

The main benefit is simply in running more miles in the week without trashing your body. More miles over time builds more aerobic capacity.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I do them after long races or when my legs are bothering me. Usually only 20ish minutes, and depending on how I'm feeling it might be a mix of running and jogging.

I prefer recovery bike rides though - more enjoyable and less impact, which is becoming a bigger deal as I get older and my races get longer.
  • JessiJean
    JessiJean Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    My body is definately less sore than it was this morning! I'm glad I decided to try a recovery run!
  • jsickman12
    jsickman12 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    love recovery runs, and bike rides for that matter, both are great. I go nice an easy as a percieved effort, which is a slightly elevated HR, would be able to hold a good conversation.