Would you...

Options
jasmineconley
jasmineconley Posts: 438 Member
Throw away your good eating for a day to totally go overboard for a good reason? Good reason being that even though it's totally yummy you'd get in some great time swimming, playing racquetball, and chasing your daughter around? The battle between cooking at home and going out to dinner has begun!

Replies

• MyPsalm63
    MyPsalm63 Posts: 303
    Options
    Go overboard? No. I do however go out to eat on occasion but choose healthier choices. To me...going overboard or crazy is not an option.
  • jasmineconley
    Options
    it's only over board because I've been trying to get into eating smaller meals at night whereas before it was by far the heaviest of the day. I'm sure I could burn it off but do I really want that outside of home meal?
  • 2stepscloser
    2stepscloser Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't go hog wild but I think it is important to have balance. You want to be able to eat out and feel comfortable making those choices. Is this a one time thing? Do you feel you've burned enough calories this week to make it worth it? Are comfortable with maintaining and not losing this week? If you can answer yes to all, I say go for it.
  • jasmineconley
    Options
    No this is definitely a one time thing. The problem is that darned molten cake sundae she wants to split. Honestly when I increase my calories I lose weight faster than at low cal. I'm also under calories for more than a two pound loss and I still have my workouts planned to the 9 for the next two months so this Y happening will be on top of my regular daily workouts which run around 1.5-2 hours
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I went out to dinner tonight and I'm under...smart choices can be made anywhere.
  • jasmineconley
    Options
    I'm sure I'll be under after I work out it's just that I switched my big meal for earlier and to be honest it's not like one day will undo 4 months
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Yes I do go overboard on calories alot, but it's pretty much always healthy. Like today I had just under 3,000 just because I was so hungry after lifting.
  • jasmineconley
    Options
    Yeah there's a difference in what you eat and how often you do it vs full blown binge. My body tells me when I am missing something in my diet and I make up for it at that time. Mind you my body doesn't need a sundae but it does need time with my preteen daughter and if a sundae is the price then is it really so bad?
  • ohenry78
    ohenry78 Posts: 228
    Options
    I'm going to go a bit against the grain here and say "yes". Some people call them "binge days" or "cheat days", I like to call them "sanity days".

If you've been doing great for a while and you truly are confident in your ability to get back on the wagon after one bad day, then go for it! I do this once in a while if I've done good with hitting a certain goal, or if I have gone a good long while without being substantially over my calories. Just a day to eat whatever I feel like in whatever quantities I feel like, and not feel bad about it because I know that tomorrow I'm going to continue doing what I've been doing.

For example, for baseball's opening day on April 1st, I was having my Dad over for a cookout. We're in Wisconsin, so a cookout means brats and chips and hot dogs and sauerkraut and awesomeness. I had done well for quite a while to that point, so I said "screw it" and put 4,000 calories as my intake for that day and didn't log on any more that day. I ate more brats than is probably legal. It was fantastic.

It was also refreshing to just let go for a day. Additionally, feeling that super-full stuffed-like-a-pig feeling made me appreciate the normality of my every day dieting. The next day I was back to normal and I didn't die or anything. :)

One day of crazy eating won't make you fat, just like one day of good eating won't make you skinny. Go for it! :)
  • jasmineconley
    Options
    I love you! Life happens and you should take those days as they come. We had a blast and that would've been less amazing had I been a calorie Nazi
  • ohenry78
    ohenry78 Posts: 228
    Options
    Woot! I'm glad you had fun :)
  • monizjm
    monizjm Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I went out to dinner tonight and I'm under...smart choices can be made anywhere.

I agree!
  • glamroxjax
    glamroxjax Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    The ONLY issue I have with big splurges like that are I feel sick afterwards. My body gets soooo used to not eating clean, that when I have a splurge day, I often end up sick. :/ I still do it on rare occasions though. I'm not going to say no to my kids delicious bday cake I make from scratch! lol
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    as long as it's only a one time thing, I say go for it!