No one likes a chunky Fireman...

Options
Ok, so here's the story.

I'm 42, 6'2" and have been on the north side of 300 lbs most of my adult life with a high of 366 lbs. I've been blessed with a body that reacts well to diet and exercise however it reacts equally as quickly to poor eating habits ad sloth.

As a trucker it was EXTREMELY difficult to lose weight due to the sedentary lifestyle. However, a couple of times I was able to drop down to the 250lb range and felt pretty good. But it never lasted.

On my 40th birthday I quit my job (mid life crisis anyone?) and decided to go back to school to be a Medic and pursue my dream job of being a paid Firefighter/Medic.

I was hired with a local municipality, part time, as a FF/Medic this year. Hoefully I will be full time soon.

When I went for my physical my blood pressure was through the roof and my weight was 347 lbs.

Since then I have adopted a healthy eating regimen and moderate exercise routine. I'm down to 309.8 lbs and my BP is way down.

The bottom line is career firemen die of heart attacks more often than anything else. This is due to the sedentary lifestyle on station followed by the cardio heavy physicality of fighting a fire.

I choose not to be part of that statistic.

And, I really want to look good in my uniform. I am single after all. LOL

So MFP has been a big help in not just getting my daily calorie burn in check but also organizing my meals in such a way that affords me the most and best balanced nutrition.

I'll get a uniform pic up this weekend a hopefully in a few months I can post another of me at my goal weight of 240 lbs and 16% body fat. (Assuming my scales BF% measurement is correct 240 puts me where I want to be.)

So anyway, Hi, I'm Chad.

Replies

• matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Congrats on getting hired for what you really want to and also on your progress thus far.

Keep it up :flowerforyou:
  • simonkurth
    simonkurth Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I was on the north side of 300lbs 9 months ago. Thankfully the slide down is SUCH a rewarding ride. Currently at 251 and dropping.
  • weevil66
    weevil66 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Welcome and congrats on getting your dream job.
  • wyattsmomvanessa
    Options
    My husband is a fireman, too! I promise, everyone likes you!

That said, you have a really stressful job. Stress and sleep deprivation are both associated with carbohydrate cravings and overeating, so don't be hard on yourself!

You have a little more on your plate than many because of your job, but you can do it!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    I wish you luck on your journey.

I am of the belief that firefighters need to be in excellent shape for their protection as well as being in shape to save the lives of others.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Agate69
    Agate69 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    My grandfather was a fireman in a small town, never drove a car, and was always walking, moving, lifting carrying. Day pre car erra, he was busy every day, all day doing gis reg job ob RR track crew. He did not drive but ran to meet fire truck, or rode bike. 40 years of service. He was a worker, a d good food eater. Today i see ft and pt firepersons in the gym working out in their spare time. Serious about work out and feeding their bodies. Good luck k tp move towards
  • sunman00
    sunman00 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Hi Chad, nice to read your story, thanks for sharing it;

this site is FAB, there are lots of great people here & loads of interesting articles,

lots of what you hear about diets & weight loss are myths, the core here is a change of lifestyle that will quite simply elongate our lives

you can get away with most things when you're young but being overweight catches you up and as you get older you are more susceptible to illnesses; heart disease, diabetes, joint pains, arthritis to name but a few

and so my friend, at aged 42 it's important that you do some stuff, it's that simple

I have a 3 word mantra to my lifestyle change,

Commitment - to start the new lifestyle

Dedication - to stay with it for the rest of my life

honesty - to record EVERYTHING that passes my lips

so can I suggest using the resources on here; find out your TDEE & your BMR, establish a sensible caloric deficit, read about our bodies Macros and how to source them in a way that you can enjoy, & log in every day & read other people's stories, they are truly inspirational

it's one step at a time my friend, VERY good luck with your journey
  • csnyder0007
    csnyder0007 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    TDEE?
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    I can't decide if Chunky Fireman sounds like a cocktail or a sex thing
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Firemen are my favorite of men in uniform! Stick to it!
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Welcome Chad! I've been pretty successful so far and know you can do this if you're willing to commit to a LIFETIME change, not just a quick fix. I was interested in your post because I'm considering volunteering for the local volunteer fire department, but told myself I wanted to get to my goal weight before I did so. Hopefully here in another 6-8 months, I'll be at my goal weight and feeling healthy enough to go for it!

Feel free to add me to your friend list if you're so inclined.
  • kerricus
    kerricus Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Hi Chad, here's the info on TDEE: http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/
  • neacail
    neacail Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Hi Chad.

I like all firemen, chunky or not. :bigsmile:
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I think firemen are hot!! I would date one but I am happily married. I admire your courage to fight fires and get kitties from trees! Congrats on your losses so far.
  • jessichri
    jessichri Posts: 81 Member
    Options

Both.

And boy do I love me some firemen. You wont be single too long buddy..the ladies love men in uniform! :P

Good luck! I wish you the best and kudos for deciding to not be a statistic!!
  • BldHny2002
    BldHny2002 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Please don't take this as discouragement! I think it's AWESOME that you're going to lose weight. Remember, you have a job that requires you to be typically strong with great lungs. DO NOT STARVE YOURSELF. Stick with it! Lift weights! I'm so happy for you!

Now, that all being said, personally, I don't think any straight woman would care how "chunky" you are - you're a freaking FIREMAN. Like, homg. You're a damn hero!

I wish you ALL the best in your journey!! Seriously, you freaking rock face.
  • JodyTurner1
    Options
    Hello:

I think you are doing a great job, realizing a decrease in weight will get you on the fast tract to better health and that you have already begun your journey Kudos!

I too need to lose at least 40 lbs of weight and like you need to get my BP under control. The pounds seemed to just appear overnight and it has been an up hill battle to try to lose them. Staying consistent, writing everything down that I put in my mouth and exercising the biggest and best components to weight loss are sometimes the most difficult in staying true. Preparation in meal planning at times falls by the wayside when wanting to join others in eating out.

Soon you will be fitting into those new clothes and feeling like a new person.
    Jody
  • csnyder0007
    csnyder0007 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    A cocktail or a dance step...
  • RobP1192
    RobP1192 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    That job as a truck driver probably made it difficult for you. I had a friend who became a firefighter, and he lost crazy weight just from the job. I drive a truck for my job too, but i'm constantly moving, in and out of the truck. But i know those guys with the tractor trailers always have it tough. But yeah, now that you gave up that gig, you'll definitely see the pounds drop! Good luck!
  • 2stepz
    2stepz Posts: 814 Member
    Options

Both.

I was thinking some sort of sushi roll with spicy tuna...