Time to Tone - Wedding Six Months Away

Options
Hey y'all,

As of today my Vegas bachelorette party is only three months away and the wedding is six months away. I have lost a little over 20 pounds since January, but I really need to focus on toning up now.

I am not a gym person and have found I can be good about working out at home (basic weights, jogging around the neighborhood, yoga, etc.). Just curious if anyone has any suggestions for at-home workouts. It can be a YouTube link, a DVD, a routine you’ve come up with yourself etc.

Like any bride-to-be, I am really focusing on my arms, stomach-area, hips and legs. Luckily, my legs have been toning up quickly with yoga and basic cardio, so I especially hope to emphasize the other three categories (at least for a little while). Any suggestions for me (aside from the obvious of doing more crunches, push-ups etc.)?

P.S. Feel free to add me as a friend, especially if you’re a bride-to-be. Have a great day, and thanks in advance for the tips. :smile:

Replies

• junctiongirl
    junctiongirl Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Any Jillian Michaels DVD will get you toned up and feeling good at home. I swear by her workouts!
  • mrswine
    mrswine Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I am six months away too! Feel free to add me! I am doing TurboFire for the next couple months, and when I finish its on to Insanity!
  • hersheyskiss
    Options
    Slim in 6 is a great at home workout.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Get some weights and get to lifting. If you can't go for the whole bench/bar/rack set up, get some heavy resistance bands. Don't get sucked into the high weights, low reps trap. "Toning" is achieved through diet. It's what happens when you lose fat and can see muscle underneath. Lifting good, challenging weights will help you maintain LBM while losing fat so you have a more defined, "toned" look as the fat comes off.
  • sweatydebs416
    Options
    Hi Ladies! I'm brand new here & am trying to get involved because my wedding is in September ahhh & I have some weight to lose! I joined MFP because I need help keeping track of what i'm eating for sure! I used P90X & Insanity before I started my most recent job (12+ hours/day) & it got me in great shape & helped me maintain it, but I have not had the energy to do it again after work or before work, i'm exhausted! I've been following a blog/fb page for bride to be fitness (really great recipes, fitness articles, motivation & wedding inspiration photos) & the creator runs monthly "sweating for the wedding" challenge groups online. Her website ( http://www.bride2befitness.com/p/sweating-for-wedding-challenge.html ) describes them as private, intimate online accountability groups with simple daily assignments & check-ins, as well as non-stop support throughout the day to make sure that you get your workout done & stick to your meal plan. I really feel like this is what I need to get me back on the ball and make sure that I stick to it for my big day, so I think I'm going to sign up for a may challenge. plus you get a really cute workout tank for free & I love free stuff lol It would be cool if a bunch of MFP soon to be brides joined one of the challenges together, maybe i'll make a new thread about it this wknd!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    <
    Nike Training Club - free app for smart phones, heaps of great workouts from 15-45 minutes.

http://www.nike.com/us/en_us/c/womens-training/apps/nike-training-club
  • Catlady87
    Catlady87 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I'm in a slightly different boat because my wedding isn't for another 2 years! We got engaged 9 days ago. So once I lose my weight I've got to keep it off!
    I've also booked my first dress fitting for the 1st August so that's in 3 months.
    I'm wondering if I should start trying to tone up so I look good for my fitting?
  • mrsfoster102613
    mrsfoster102613 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the input, y'all! I already have five-pound weights I use (I know it's not much, but I'm still new to this). However, I think I need to step it up to eight pounds. The five is definitely less of a challenge at this point.

I will check out all of your suggestions, and again, thank you for taking the time. I REALLY appreciate it.

~Andrea
  • pestopoli
    pestopoli Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Youtube is your friend! Spark People have great ab and rear workouts, and a whole mess of other videos on there! Good luck girl
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    What is "tone"?

If you want more muscle mass then lift. If you want more muscle definition then diet. For best results, do both. "Tone" isn't a thing.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

^^ This is very complete .... Debbie is great (very motivating) .... the "6" is six weeks

Also, I like Kelly Coffey Meyers 30 Minutes to Fitness series ....lots of styles, weights, bootcamp, circuit
    http://www.collagevideo.com/exercise-videos/kelly-coffey-meyer-exercise-videos-107

Collage Video is a great place to get reviews & see video clips .... lots of info on equipment needed, fitness level, impact level, etc.

http://www.collagevideo.com/
  • mrsfoster102613
    mrsfoster102613 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    What is "tone"?

If you want more muscle mass then lift. If you want more muscle definition then diet. For best results, do both. "Tone" isn't a thing.

Sorry if my word choice of tone isn't technical, but what I want is to build some muscle AND define it, too. I'm no work-out guru...I just know when I look in the mirror I don't see that much definition and I know I could be stronger, too.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    What is "tone"?

Sorry if my word choice of tone isn't technical, but what I want is to build some muscle AND define it, too. I'm no work-out guru...I just know when I look in the mirror I don't see that much definition and I know I could be stronger, too.

OK, now you have your goals defined :smile:

To retain your current muscle mass and build a little more, start with a strength based lifting program like SS/SL, 5/3/1, etc. You'll need a bare minimum of four months on a strength program before considering going on a hypertrophy program, but six months is ideal. For more muscle definition, just keep your diet in check. Excessive cardio hurts your gains so limit it to no more than 3-4 times a week. Cardio is optional so you can even cut it out of you want.
  • ECos81
    ECos81 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm also a little under 6 months away!! It's crunch time! I have incereased my work outs to 5 days per week from 3. Hot yoga sculpt, HPF, spin classes, and general cardio and ab classes at the gym. I'm hoping mixing it up will give me better results. I'm down about 11 lbs now, but am only half way there! Good Luck ladies!!
  • junctiongirl
    junctiongirl Posts: 57 Member
    Options

I Totally forgot I had this and pulled it out again last night. It is a great workout :) thanks for the reminder!
  • Lysander666
    Lysander666 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    What is "tone"?

When anyone uses the word 'tone' now I just ignore it. I know what they mean. My gym have given up correcting people. When people say they want to tone up, they just nod and tell them what they want to hear.