I am changing my future one pound at a time...

Options
I started this weight loss journey back in January. I was 39 year old, insulin resistant(on medications), high cholesterol(on medications), obese and depressed(on medications..) I watched my father die in 2002 due to stroke from years of diabetes and an unhealthy lifestyle. He died at 66, his died died of stroke at 65, and his grandmother died of a stroke at 64...

July 3rd, I found my mother in her home...no one could get a hold of her on the phone. I found her on the kitchen floor she had fallen and broken her hip..she had been down for 2-4 hours. In the ambulance her pulse was 38-42...we literally were within hours of losing her. Since then she had one surgery, but the pins sheared..due to brittle bones, she then had another surgery to replace the hip. She has been considered high risk due to diabetes, lesions on her heart and other heart problems. Her recovery will be long and difficult, however, it is a lesson and testament to me. I have been given this one life..I have been given a family to love and cherish. I can not do all that I am supposed to do in this life following in my parents foot steps...Their mistakes and unhealthy lifestyles will forever be a wake up call to me. I can be an example to my children. I can do all that I can to live healthy so I can minimize the chances of them having to find me lying on the floor in my kitchen when I am older...I can show them how good it feels to be healthy and live a young life even when they are old..

This is my motivation...and this is why I will continue this journey.

Replies

• april522
    april522 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Brought a tear to my eyes! So glad to hear you are highly motivated! I wish your mom and full and speedy recovery!
  • JUSTFORME2010
    JUSTFORME2010 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Wow that is an amazing story. I use to think one pound at a time would be exhausting or depressing but now that I am doing it I understand that it is the only way to do it. Keep it up youre doing great and your children will be happy to have you here longer than you had your parents.
  • tcam70455
    tcam70455 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I wish your mom a speedy recovery. I am so glad you are making choices to change your lifestyle so that your children can see a difference and a good example.
  • Lisa0711
    Lisa0711 Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry for your losses and hope your mom recovers quickly. :flowerforyou:

Awesome job for taking those experiences and turning them into positives for you to push yourself to be healthy and be a great role model for your kids and others! You're doing an amazing job - keep it up!!
  • ml8801
    ml8801 Posts: 5
    Options
    I really wish you the best. :) And I hope your mother recovers quickly.