Ouch! My shins!

Options
I'm doing the 30 Day Shred, and I am soon to start the C25K running program. During the shred, whenever I do jumping jacks, or the butt kicks, my shins hurt when I land each step. I'm scared that when I start running this same thing will happen and I will need to stop, which I don't want to do! I guess it feels a little like shin splints, though it doesn't hurt afterwards, but actually during the movement. Does this happen to anyone else? Is there anything I can do to prevent it? I know that I need better running shoes, but my shoes shouldn't really matter for jumping jacks, right?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

TIA!
Lori.

Replies

• baby_lovin_060206
    baby_lovin_060206 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    While doing level two of the shred my ankles would hurt whenever I would jump. I was also running about 2 miles which didn't help my ankles. I bought two ankle braces which helped take the pressure off of the jumps and after a few days rest I am able to do the shred and run without problems. I didn't have the problems you are having but if you need to rest your body then start again sometimes you just need a little time to heal.
  • ❤B☩❤
    ❤B☩❤ Posts: 634
    Options
    HI there! Actually, your shoes will always matter whenever there is impact on your feet. (Take it from someone who's had foot problems all her life and a foot surgery that took almost a year to recover from!) You will want to be kind to your feet and knees, and find something that will cushion the impact on your body. Until you can get some really good shoes, use a good slip-free mat (anti stress mat like the cashiers at the supermarket use).

As far as the shin splints go, I have just, today, started Week 4/Day 1 of Couch to 5K. The first day of Week 1/Day 1, I had the same thing happen to me, and only while I was walking (not running), but I immediately put cold pack on them when I was done, and I have had no problems since. I also found that by not putting the incline past more than a 2, for now, has helped tremendously! Hope this helps! Good luck with your C25K journey!:drinker:
  • jelazarus10
    Options
    When I did track in high school I would always get shin spints. Try to wrap them in medical tape before you work out and that should stop the pain. Eventually they will heal on there own. Hope this helps.
  • BeeZoe
    BeeZoe Posts: 37
    Options
    The shoes will matter in any impact movement. I sometimes get that muscle pain with brand new, well supported shoes because the muscle use is affected, it goes away after a couple of days. One tip for knee, ankle, hip discomfort get your Omega 3's in! Wild Salmon oil, fish oils, omega blends, these all lubricate the joints and the only way to get them is to eat them, the body doesn't manufacture omegas. Makes your skin nice too as a bonus!
  • catherine167
    Options
    Hey there,

We have these problems a lot in the PT program. Watch for dull pain around the area. This pain worsens while exercising, walking, or standing. Another symptom is swelling in the area. These are symptoms of stress fractures, which are much more common than people think! And, shin splints can lead to stress fractures, so either way you have to be careful.

In your diet, add more Omegas (I think someone already mentioned this) but another thing that helps is calcium. In basic training, if you are lactose intolerant, you are issued a calcium supplement. If not, you are required to drink 1 glass of milk per meal. This is a good practice for anyone on a regular exercise routine. And, even better for those trying to lose weight, skim milk actually contains MORE calcium than whole milk!

Running shoes wear out too. Most people say you need a new pair around every 300 miles. I say, when you start getting more aches and pains, it's time for new shoes. But, insoles are also a good option. They can hold off having to get new shoes for a while, which is good if you are on a budget, like me, and can't afford a new pair of $100 shoes every few months. Good shoe stores have guides as well that tell you what kind of shoes you need. People have differently formed feet, which means running shoes aren't one size fit all! Find a good shoe store and they should be able to recommend a good shoe for you!

Hope this helps! Good luck!
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the 30 Day Shred, and I am soon to start the C25K running program. During the shred, whenever I do jumping jacks, or the butt kicks, my shins hurt when I land each step. I'm scared that when I start running this same thing will happen and I will need to stop, which I don't want to do! I guess it feels a little like shin splints, though it doesn't hurt afterwards, but actually during the movement. Does this happen to anyone else? Is there anything I can do to prevent it? I know that I need better running shoes, but my shoes shouldn't really matter for jumping jacks, right?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

TIA!
    Lori.

Sorbothane insoles for your trainers will absorb be4tween 80-90% of the shock and can help prevent shin splints. They have a 10 year life and are fantastic.

They are expensive for insoles but anything that helps shin splints and knee troubles just has to be worth it in my opinion. They are excellent if you do a lot of running.

If you do get them, make sure you get the real deal and not insoles that profess to do the same thing. I had gel ones once when I was unable to get Sorbothane Insoles but for me, they didn't work and I began to get shin splints.
  • goal30Lori
    goal30Lori Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I will definitely have to put some time into getting the right running shoes - and I will be looking into those insoles also! I am determined to become a runner, or at least a jogger! So, I need to make sure I can get through it comfortably!

ETA- I'm sure I could use some more Omegas in my diet, and I absolutely love milk, and do drink skim, but have been cutting way down lately, basically just to save calories. I guess I have a reason to add milk back in!
  • LotusF1ower
    Options

Yes, those are the ones! As I said they are a bit expensive for insoles but they last 10 years and are so effective!
  • goal30Lori
    goal30Lori Posts: 307 Member
    Options

Yes, those are the ones! As I said they are a bit expensive for insoles but they last 10 years and are so effective!

Yay! I ordered them! :) And I got some Asics shoes as well, so once they get here, I will be set! Thank you!
  • LotusF1ower
    Options

Yay! I ordered them! :) And I got some Asics shoes as well, so once they get here, I will be set! Thank you!

More than welcome, enjoy your training!!! :flowerforyou:
  • xxgoriexx
    xxgoriexx Posts: 39
    Options
    1) New shoes (which you already mentioned).
    2) Gels! They really help tone the impact down.