quick healthy preparation meals

Options
I'm a student and work at a local hospital. Times in the morning consume of me studying/hw, cleaning/chores, and then off to work till five....I am now walking after work, taking care of animals, and then dinner arrangements etc. Does anyone have any suggestions on quick prep meals that are healthy and not a ton of processed foods??? I am struggling with fast food at lunch time because it's easy to grab and go.

Replies

• Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Because I am a quantity eater my all time favorite is below.

Fill a large skillet with diced zuchinni, mushrooms green peppers, onions, carrots and whatever else. Stir fry until desired tenderness. Then just scramble two eggs into it. Add salsa...YUM Very few calories, time or energy involved for a large plate full.

Shirley in Sunny Oregon (today at least)
  • whiskeysister510
    whiskeysister510 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Quick prep healthy is just about all I do anymore! Here are my current staples:

Breakfast - Hardboiled eggs, nuts, fruit (prep & portion out on Sunday night for the whole week)

Lunch - Pre-cook chicken breast--poached or baked is easy (once Sunday and again Tue/Wed) for the week, top w/ guacamole, salsa, lime juice, hummus, steak sauce, or whatever you like. Cold veggies on the side (jicama, celery, carrots, cucumber, whatever you like as long it can be chopped and washed ahead of time and lasts for a few days). Or use the chicken for salad w/ pre-mixed dressing or good bottled vinaigrette.

Dinner - Pop any hunk of tough, lean meat in the crockpot early in the morning, cook all day (for me, this means 12 hours) in whatever you like (tomatoes, wine, chicken stock, brandy, fresh herbs, quartered onions, garlic cloves, coconut milk, curry paste, balsamic vinegar). Serve with steamed veggies or salad.

Good luck! :)
  • DeserveVictory
    DeserveVictory Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    You need a slow cooker/crock pot!

I can make a slow cooker meal on Sunday and have enough to cover lunches for the rest of the week! It tends to be fairly cheap on a student budget too!

Here are some of the sites I use:

http://blog.texasfitchicks.com/2011/12/10-skinny-crock-pot-recipes.html#.UE9Fqby6dlE.pinterest

http://www.kellyskornerblog.com/2011/08/crockpotalooza.html

http://crockpot365.blogspot.ca/

**A word of caution: there is a plethora of recipes here, some of them won't be diet friendly :( **
  • rangersgal87
    Options
    Thank y'all so much!!! Very helpful!!! Going to go grocery shopping today and try to prep on Sundays and with crockpot recipes....I completely forgot about my crockpot!!! :)
  • rangersgal87
    Options
    And great sites!! I have bookmarked them!
  • ClementineGeorg
    ClementineGeorg Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    You can try some of Jamie Olivers recipie from the series 15 minutes meals. Well, most time unexperienced cooks will need more than 15 minutes. But they are fast and sometimes you can have left overs.

Also, cooking in bulk when you have time and freezing meals can be a solution.