Exercise / Calorie question

Options
Hi everone, I had a question that I hope someone can clear up for me. I just started this MFP on April 2nd and was at 321lbs. Today April 26th I'm at 306lbs. No excercise just sticking to the calorie count the program designed for me after I put in all my settings. Now, I've started to do some light to moderate exercising with this program my daughter has on the families XBox called "The Biggest Loser Challange" I was able to tally up burning 193 total calories, when I updated my status on MFP with this information at 7pm it changed my total calorie intake from 311 left for the day to 525 left for the day. My question is this: Do I need to eat my remaining calories (525) before the clock strikes 12 midnight OR can I just snack on 1 or 2 hundred protien bars just to satisfy my appitite? I'm kinda confused. Any and all replies truly welcomed.......I'm a 50 year old male and just looking to lose this nagging belly and get back the body I had 12 years ago when I retired from the US Navy, and before I have to walk my daughter down the isle on her wedding day (When ever that might be). Thanks to everyone! :wink:

Replies

• cherio256
    cherio256 Posts: 219
    Options
    I always eat back my exercise calories. If you don't you are netting too low. Your body used that many calories to exercise and needs it back. An example, this is what I do.

I get 1200 calories a day
    I burn 200 through exercise
    My net calories would be 1000 which is too low
    I eat 1400 , burn 200 and net 1200

I do this because I am consuming the lowest possible calories. Some people don't eat them back if they are eating more calories.
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    as a Skins fan, id say BOOOO GIANTS!! LOL BUT u do not have to eat em back, some do some dont. it depends on how hungry u r. wishin u the best, even tho u like NY.. lol
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    I personally think mfp over estimates the amount of calories burned with exercise, but you need to do what works for you.
    Remember that there is every age group, body size and fitness level on mfp and everyone has their opinions.
    You don't have the same metabolism as a 20-something guy, but you already knew that. :wink:
    Experiment with your exercise and calories a bit to see what works.
    Definitely stay at or below your calorie goal and continue to get exercise.
    Also, consider adding some strength training.
    I do my logging before midnight but often look at my weekly, rather than daily average.

Oh, and welcome :smile:
  • lowdog5
    lowdog5 Posts: 33
    Options
    Thank you everyone, even 'Thena81" being a skins fan.... :) We will get you this year! I just posted a question on my schedule and hopefully I'll get some good answers....Thank you again for everyones replies!
  • Changing_Charity
    Changing_Charity Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I always eat back my exercise calories. If you don't you are netting too low. Your body used that many calories to exercise and needs it back. An example, this is what I do.

I do this because I am consuming the lowest possible calories. Some people don't eat them back if they are eating more calories.

so why even exercise if you are just going to put those calories back into your body?? the point of exercising is to burn calories to create more of a deficit.
  • Oncebittentwiceshy38
    Oncebittentwiceshy38 Posts: 127 Member
    Options

so why even exercise if you are just going to put those calories back into your body?? the point of exercising is to burn calories to create more of a deficit.
    I disagree with this completely. Sorry-editing, I meant I disagree that you can't eat back your exercise calories. You will still have a significant deficit even when you eat back your calories. I eat mine back when I am hungry and have still lost weight.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options

Because creating too much of a deficit for long periods can slow your metabolism and cause other health problems over time (You might not notice it now, or even 6 months from now, but it is a very risky game to play). Exercise is not just for creating a bigger deficit. That is why MFP wants you to eat them back. Cardio is good for heart health. Strength training is good for maintaining lean body mass and getting stronger.
  • flywithabowtie
    flywithabowtie Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Personally from all the research I have done from the NON-1200 Calories posts & outside of this website, to lose weight you have to create a calorie deficit. My suggestion would be, that if you are not hungry, then do not eat back your calories. If you are still hungry & you have room left based on your calories, then eat foods that will keep you within a reasonable range of your calorie limit. If you are having days where you are under your calorie limit, then a day or two where you are over by a 100 or so calories will in no way ruin your progress. You will hear a lot of people saying you need to eat your minimum calories or your bodies metabolism will slow down. This statement is true if you constantly are eating too few calories, but if it only happens a couple times you should be fine. Every person is different as to what gives them the best results & you may have to use different techniques & calorie fluctuations to achieve your final goal. Don't give up on your journey.
  • lowdog5
    lowdog5 Posts: 33
    Options
    MAN! Some great replies to this question, first off, Thank you to all. Secondly, I'm actually keeping my calories around 100-150 below my daily requirements and thats just because of ensuring my measureing of food is either correct or off. After I exercise I'm not actually hungry only thursty for water, so hunger is not a problem after my workouts. I was just wondering if I "SHOULD" eat the calories I gained back on my daily schedule after working out..... and what that would do to me.......Thanks again, everyone!