Is it possible for lactose intolerance to pass?

Options
So I've had numerous food allergies growing up. With most I grew out of them, like kidney beans and blackcurrent juice, but for my whole life I've stayed away from milk because it has always made me very sick. I could never have it without throwing up straight away.
But as my other allergies passed, I decided to have cereal with milk yesterday (gasp!) and nothing happened, and again today. LI is the only allergy that never just went away when I grew up so I don't want to push my luck and end up in hospital again, but so far, so good.
Anyone else experience this?
Also, is there a correlation between the type of milk and how it affects you? Because Skimmed milk in small quantities seems ok for me, but semi-skimmed or whole has me running to the bathroom.

Replies

• neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    lactose intolerance and milk allergy are two different things

milk allergy may go away over time, because allergies can be fickle like that. You can grow out of them, and they can suddenly develop out of nowhere. (only in people who have the genetic tendency for allergies)

Lactose intolerance is caused by a lack of the enzyme that breaks down lactase (milk sugar) which results in the inability to digest milk and all kinds of digestive problems. You don't grow out of this, because your body doesn't suddenly learn how to produce this enzyme.

If you had a milk allergy and it disappeared, then that sounds reasonable. If you were lactose intolerant, but now you're not, then it's probably the case that you had a milk allergy, not lactose intolerance.
  • LadyZephyr
    LadyZephyr Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Oh, I didn't know that. I was diagnosed with lactose intolerance when I was a child and it's always been put down as that in my medical files. I guess it was a milk allergy, then. Thanks!
  • Munchiemooka
    Munchiemooka Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I am the same, but mine started when I was a teenager. I can drink skimmed milk but am really ill if I have creams and whole milk (yoguarts included). I will get acute stomac spasm's and urgent need to rush to the bathroom (this can go on all night sometimes).

Try the lactose free milk you can get in most supermarkets http://www.lactofree.co.uk/

I now get skimmed Goats milk as it have smaller lactose molecules and is eayser for your body to digeste (semi-skimed/skimmed).

Hope this helps :)
  • LadyZephyr
    LadyZephyr Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Yeah, yoghurts or the creamier milk still make me feel icky sometimes. I like the lacto free stuff (:
    I used to have goats milk when I was a child but it's hard to find where I live now.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Have you tried lactaid or similar? Lactose used to, even in the smallest amounts, give me blinding migraines. Tried lactaid and now I can eat as much lactose as I want with no issues whatsoever. It seriously changed my life.
  • Munchiemooka
    Munchiemooka Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I know Sainsburys and ASDA stock Goats Milk. If only the larger stores in your area stock it buy in bulk and freeze.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I really do not wanna be lactose intolerant OR have a dairy allergy, but my doctor says I have both. I've been trying to abstain from all dairy for a good long period, and then I will try a bit and see what happens. I've had mixed results. For me, it is highly dependent on the product as well as the quantity and frequency I consume it.

Not sure of the exact answer to your question, but that's how I've been dealing with it. You might try lactase tablets and see if they are of any help.
  • boroko
    boroko Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    My son was diagnosed as lactose intolerant and we were advised that he could, and probably would, grow out of it or at least become less intolerant. This has certainly seemed to be the case and he is now able to tolerate things that he couldn't previously but sticks to lactose free milk for cereal and drinking.

Lactase is produced on the tips of the villi in the gut which can become damaged and depending on the extent of the damage may repair themselves so you can become better at producing lactase. Some people inherit a genetic makeup that means they don't produce enough so will never be able to tolerate latcose - this is particularly the case in people of oriental or african descent.

The levels of lactose in dairy products varies considerably so you shouldn't need to avoid all dairy products. Lactose is water soluble to there is proportionally less lactose in higher fat dairy products. Skimmed milk typically has slightly higher levels of lactose that full fat milk, and low fat yoghurt has more lactose than full fat yoghurt.

Goats milk (and sheep or buffalo milk) has the same amount of lactose as cows milk.

Maybe it's not the lactose that's the problem for you? I suggest speaking to your doctor.

Edited to add: I just read your profile and see that you mention bulimia - this could have contributed to damage so hopefully that is healing if you are recovering.
  • drgnfly4
    drgnfly4 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    A lot of people find that Raw Whole Milk solves both lactose intolerance and milk alergies. The reasons are lengthy and complex, but I will suffice myself to simply explain, in summary, that homogenized milk has it's fats bonded to it's whey by the process which keeps the cream form separating and keeps our bodies from digesting it, and the pasteurization process not only denatures the nutrients, such as the proteins, it also kills the enzymes that help us digest the milk. Because of the homogenization we become alergic a toxic response, and because of the pasteurization we become lactose intolerant.

The fact is that homogenized milk becomes a neurotoxin in our bodies and is deadly over time, more so for sensitive individuals, and that pasteurized (cooked) milk is denatured and hard to digest, and limited in nutritional value anyway. Neither should be consumed, ever.

Abundant literature is available on these topics, at places like the Weston A Price Foundation website, RealMilk.com etc...

There are plenty of books on the subject as well. But its interesting ti note that before modern patented drugs became the ONLY way doctors like to treat disease anymore prevention through nutrition was the norm and places like the world famous Mayo clinic in the 1800's cured a lot of people's various health issues with Raw Milk. Raw Milk from grass fed cows is health food, a near super food. Whereas, pasteurized Homogenized milk from grain fed cattle is limited in nutrients even before it is processed and then it is transformed into poison. Milk like other natural foods is best consumed whole. The fats in grass fed dairy are actually filled with CLA a fatty acid that has been clinically proven to reduce body fat and increase lean body mass. Homogenized and pasteurized whole milk may be unhealthy, but Raw Whole Milk from Grass Fed Cattle is very healthy.

There are ways to get Organic Raw Grass Fed Milk locally at near store bought milk prices. I get a lot of people who automatically assume it costs to much. It does not have to. But I also have to ask, what is your health worth.

To my way of thinking, Milk is no different than anything else where if we know what we are doing we make a better choice. Cheap vitamins with lab grown chemical nutrients or high cost vitamins with whole food sourced complete nutrients; Organic Sprouted Grain Breads or cheap white bread. Money is a frequent limiting factor for us all, but when we know the difference it will make in our bodies we sacrifice and pay the price. While I often settle for conventional produce instead of organic, or white bread instead of wholegrain, or cheaper vitamins because I am saving the money for my Wife's high quality vitamins since she breast feeds our baby, I do not EVER buy standard milk. My milk either raw grass fed whole milk or I have NONE at all!

There is no compromise for me on this. I know way too much to ever put conventional milk in my body again. My children have never even tasted pasteurized or homogenized milk. Oh which leads me to flavor! There is no comparison! The better the grass fed milk just like more natural chicken eggs the deeper the color. Our milk is yellow, and the butter it makes is a deep yellow almost orange, just like a healthy egg yolk. Nutrients add color, only nutrient lacking foods are pale, and the flavor of nutrient dense foods is awesome!

Before we knew any of this, my wife had a bad dairy allergy shortly after we married, which led to a few years of complete dairy abstinence. After our research we suspected she could likely have raw milk, and eventually when we figured out how to get some, we were proven correct, she now drinks our whole raw grass fed milk without any issues.

On the great topic of allergies and asthma I must mention that I have cured myself entirly of both a couple of times by drinking whole fruit smoothies. This is a smoothie where you throw the whole apple seeds and all, the whole strawberry leaves and all into a blender and drink the results. The huge volume of micro-nutrients in such food is a pretty awesome cure for a great deal of our health issues. (A lot of people "juice" to get the same results) Works every time, within a week or two my airways were clear as a bell!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Lactase is produced on the tips of the villi in the gut which can become damaged and depending on the extent of the damage may repair themselves so you can become better at producing lactase. Some people inherit a genetic makeup that means they don't produce enough so will never be able to tolerate latcose - this is particularly the case in people of oriental or african descent.

that's very interesting. I wasn't aware that someone could get lactose intolerance due to damage to the gut... I was only aware of the genetic kind until now. Thank you.
  • lejohnston87
    Options
    Off topic of the initial post (my apologies!) but as a vet student having to study milk hygiene as part of the veterinary degree (This is one of the many jobs vets are responsible for, although we help sick animals the main job of vets is actually pubic health.) I have to disagree with many of your points raised.

Of course there are many raw milk products available and you can drink them your entire life with no problems what so ever (I am not disagreeing with you there) but I don't believe pasteurization and homogenization are the evil, harmful to health processes are trying to make out to be.

Firstly the truth about the pasteurization process:

1) Pasteurization is a heat treatment aimed at reducing the number of harmful microorganisms in milk and cream to a level at which they do not constitute a significant health hazard. It is intended to result in an extended shelf life of milk and in only minimal chemical, physical and organoleptic changes. Pasteurization conditions are designed to effectively destroy the organism Mycobacterium tuberculosis.

2) The effects of pasteurization on milk with regard to minerals... Of course vitamin and mineral content is lost. Soluble calcium and phosphorus decrease by 5%, thiamin and vitamin B12 by 10%, and vitamin C by 20%. Because losses are small in comparison to the large amount of the two B-vitamins present, milk continues to provide significant amounts of thiamin and vitamin B12. As milk is not an important dietary source of vitamin C, this loss is not nutritionally significant.

3) Proponents of non-pasteurized raw milk credit it with having more beneficial bacteria and enzymes than its processed counterpart; however, raw milk is far more likely to contain harmful microbial contaminants, and pasteurization is the only effective way of killing most pathogenic bacteria

4) Pasteurization with regard to Protein denaturing... The caseins in milk are stable to heat treatment. Typical high temperature short time (HTST) pasteurization conditions will not affect the functional and nutritional properties of the casein proteins. High temperature treatments can cause interactions between casein and whey proteins that affect the functional but not the nutritional properties. For example, at high temperatures, ß-lactoglobulin can form a layer over the casein micelle that prevents curd formation in cheese.

5) the good side... Diseases pasteurization can prevent include tuberculosis, brucellosis, diphtheria, scarlet fever, and Q-fever; it also kills the harmful bacteria Salmonella, Listeria, Yersinia, Campylobacter, Staphylococcus aureus, and Escherichia coli O157:H7, among others.

6) Enzymes! The enzymes in milk do not make a major contribution to the digestion of milk in humans, which is accomplished by enzymes in the human stomach and small intestine.

An example of milk enzymes;
    a) Lipases are enzymes that degrade fats. The major lipase in milk is lipoprotein lipase. It is associated with the casein micelle. Agitation during processing may bring the lipase into contact with the milk fat resulting in fat degradation and off-flavors. Pasteurization will inactivate the lipase in milk and increase shelf life.
    b) Proteases are enzymes that degrade proteins. The major protease in milk is plasmin. Some proteases are inactivated by heat and some are not. Protein degradation can be undesirable and result in bitter off-flavors, or it may provide a desirable texture to cheese during ripening.
    Maybe the good enzymes you were thinking of?
    c) Lactoperoxidase is one of the most heat-stable enzymes found in milk. Lactoperoxidase, when combined with hydrogen peroxide and thiocyanate, has antibacterial properties. It is suggested that the presence of lactoperoxidase in raw milk inhibits the disease causing microorganisms (pathogens) present in milk. However, since there is no hydrogen peroxide or thiocyanate present in fresh milk, these compounds would have to be added to milk in order to achieve the antibacterial benefits.
    d) Lysozyme is another enzyme that has some antibacterial activities, although the amount of lysozyme present in milk is very small.

"The fact is that homogenized milk becomes a neurotoxin in our bodies and is deadly over time"
    I must ask, can you share your source on this as I would be interested to read this. I can not work out how there has been a link made between homogenization and neurotoxicity.

Homogenization is a high pressure process (ca 15 MPa) that forces milk at a high velocity to a small orifice to break up the large fat globules, the result is the creation of many more fat globules of a smaller size.This treatment gives the milk flavour and a texture more smooth for the same fat content.
    Basically,Homogenization breaks the fat into smaller sizes so it no longer separates, allowing the sale of non-separating milk at any fat specification (skimmed, semi-skimmed, full fat)

"Because of the homogenization we become alergic a toxic response, and because of the pasteurization we become lactose intolerant. " Im sure if you said this to any doctor you would cause a confused expression on their face, maybe even a chuckle or two. This statement shows a distinct lack of understanding on how the body works. I would get on to all the ways this is wrong but I have already taken too much space answering the other points.

To conclude (finally!), Pasteurization and Homogenization should never be considered as a bad thing. They help prevent many diseases that can be carried by raw milk either from the cow itself or from the milking process (fecal matter, improper cleaning of the equipment etc. etc.)
    I understand many people choose to drink raw milk and lead healthy lives and if you choose to take that risk, good for you.
  • boroko
    boroko Posts: 358 Member
    Options

that's very interesting. I wasn't aware that someone could get lactose intolerance due to damage to the gut... I was only aware of the genetic kind until now. Thank you.

This is the reason that many coeliacs are also lactose intolerant as coeliac disease damages the villi, thus destroying the source of lactaze as well as reducing the ability to absorb nutrients. Double whammy!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    Off topic of the initial post (my apologies!) but as a vet student having to study milk hygiene as part of the veterinary degree (This is one of the many jobs vets are responsible for, although we help sick animals the main job of vets is actually pubic health.) I have to disagree with many of your points raised.

Of course there are many raw milk products available and you can drink them your entire life with no problems what so ever (I am not disagreeing with you there) but I don't believe pasteurization and homogenization are the evil, harmful to health processes are trying to make out to be.

Firstly the truth about the pasteurization process:

1) Pasteurization is a heat treatment aimed at reducing the number of harmful microorganisms in milk and cream to a level at which they do not constitute a significant health hazard. It is intended to result in an extended shelf life of milk and in only minimal chemical, physical and organoleptic changes. Pasteurization conditions are designed to effectively destroy the organism Mycobacterium tuberculosis.

2) The effects of pasteurization on milk with regard to minerals... Of course vitamin and mineral content is lost. Soluble calcium and phosphorus decrease by 5%, thiamin and vitamin B12 by 10%, and vitamin C by 20%. Because losses are small in comparison to the large amount of the two B-vitamins present, milk continues to provide significant amounts of thiamin and vitamin B12. As milk is not an important dietary source of vitamin C, this loss is not nutritionally significant.

3) Proponents of non-pasteurized raw milk credit it with having more beneficial bacteria and enzymes than its processed counterpart; however, raw milk is far more likely to contain harmful microbial contaminants, and pasteurization is the only effective way of killing most pathogenic bacteria

4) Pasteurization with regard to Protein denaturing... The caseins in milk are stable to heat treatment. Typical high temperature short time (HTST) pasteurization conditions will not affect the functional and nutritional properties of the casein proteins. High temperature treatments can cause interactions between casein and whey proteins that affect the functional but not the nutritional properties. For example, at high temperatures, ß-lactoglobulin can form a layer over the casein micelle that prevents curd formation in cheese.

5) the good side... Diseases pasteurization can prevent include tuberculosis, brucellosis, diphtheria, scarlet fever, and Q-fever; it also kills the harmful bacteria Salmonella, Listeria, Yersinia, Campylobacter, Staphylococcus aureus, and Escherichia coli O157:H7, among others.

6) Enzymes! The enzymes in milk do not make a major contribution to the digestion of milk in humans, which is accomplished by enzymes in the human stomach and small intestine.

An example of milk enzymes;
    a) Lipases are enzymes that degrade fats. The major lipase in milk is lipoprotein lipase. It is associated with the casein micelle. Agitation during processing may bring the lipase into contact with the milk fat resulting in fat degradation and off-flavors. Pasteurization will inactivate the lipase in milk and increase shelf life.
    b) Proteases are enzymes that degrade proteins. The major protease in milk is plasmin. Some proteases are inactivated by heat and some are not. Protein degradation can be undesirable and result in bitter off-flavors, or it may provide a desirable texture to cheese during ripening.
    Maybe the good enzymes you were thinking of?
    c) Lactoperoxidase is one of the most heat-stable enzymes found in milk. Lactoperoxidase, when combined with hydrogen peroxide and thiocyanate, has antibacterial properties. It is suggested that the presence of lactoperoxidase in raw milk inhibits the disease causing microorganisms (pathogens) present in milk. However, since there is no hydrogen peroxide or thiocyanate present in fresh milk, these compounds would have to be added to milk in order to achieve the antibacterial benefits.
    d) Lysozyme is another enzyme that has some antibacterial activities, although the amount of lysozyme present in milk is very small.

"The fact is that homogenized milk becomes a neurotoxin in our bodies and is deadly over time"
    I must ask, can you share your source on this as I would be interested to read this. I can not work out how there has been a link made between homogenization and neurotoxicity.

Homogenization is a high pressure process (ca 15 MPa) that forces milk at a high velocity to a small orifice to break up the large fat globules, the result is the creation of many more fat globules of a smaller size.This treatment gives the milk flavour and a texture more smooth for the same fat content.
    Basically,Homogenization breaks the fat into smaller sizes so it no longer separates, allowing the sale of non-separating milk at any fat specification (skimmed, semi-skimmed, full fat)

"Because of the homogenization we become alergic a toxic response, and because of the pasteurization we become lactose intolerant. " Im sure if you said this to any doctor you would cause a confused expression on their face, maybe even a chuckle or two. This statement shows a distinct lack of understanding on how the body works. I would get on to all the ways this is wrong but I have already taken too much space answering the other points.

To conclude (finally!), Pasteurization and Homogenization should never be considered as a bad thing. They help prevent many diseases that can be carried by raw milk either from the cow itself or from the milking process (fecal matter, improper cleaning of the equipment etc. etc.)
    I understand many people choose to drink raw milk and lead healthy lives and if you choose to take that risk, good for you.
    Thank you for taking the time and saving me time rebutting this post. Cheers.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options

On top of that, one can temporarily lose the ability to produce lactase from infectious diseases. So if you have recently had an illness involving diarrhea or vomiting, reintroduce milk in a careful manner.
  • thecakelocker
    thecakelocker Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    You can use a carton of lactose free milk to treat several gallons of regular milk. Pour off a bit of the regular milk, add a cup or so of lactose free, and let it sit for a day. Saves money!