PLZZZZZ ANSWER MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Options
my tdee is like 1700 just over that seems loads, but i gues if im doing 5:2 I should be eating my tdee on my normal days right? I suppose it would help with my binges? Im just scared if I eat at my tdee im going to ballooon! However I binge way over my tdee at least once a week. What do you think?

Replies

• MrsBozz1
    MrsBozz1 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Eat your tdee! ...and watch what happens. If you start to gain adjust. And just try to make sure its good healthy food, you have a better chance of gaining if its extra junk. Good luck! :flowerforyou:

If you binge way over once a week you may be close to your tdee anyway if you average it over the week so just spred it out instead. :smile:
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    don't do 5:2 until you are able to properly eat on all days. try TDEE -20%.

i feel that a lot of people misuse 5:2 so that they can justify severe binging or under eating in the name of doing intermittent fasting.
  • sonograssa
    Options
    I didn't start losing until I ate enough calories! Thought I was eating enough until I started recording. Anyway, add in some extra exercise, too.
  • ganzelly
    ganzelly Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    And I know some people say it doesn't matter what you eat, just stay under your goal calories. but when i eat better (less cookies, sweets, etc) but am eating the same amount of calories, then I start losing again. Weeks with a lot of desserts and snacks I don't lose. So I totally believe that what you eat is important too, not just staying under your goal calories.
  • missybct
    missybct Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    If you are binging, it's because you feel you are being denied something - when I went on fasting diets, or even low calorie diets (minus exercise) I used to crave stuff, mostly junk, like crazy.

I agree with Capt_Apollo - get to grips with TDEE - 20% first. Work it around you, tweak it - we're not all the same. If you gain a pound, in the grand scheme of things, it's not the end of the world - you will know what your calorie deficit should be. It's trial and error in the purest sense of the word.

Having done the whole intermittent fasting/low cal followed by high days it just doesn't work for me. I do calorie count, but at the same time, if I'm hungry, I'll eat something. Also, be mindful of what you are spending your calories on - sustainable food is far better than a ready meal, etc etc.
  • SenseiCole
    SenseiCole Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    personal I would do this type of "diet"

try eating clean healthy foods
  • leecharlesworth7
    Options
    I too am doing the 5:2 lifestyle, since end January. I have noticed recently that even if I am ok calorie wise if I have had too much bread or sweet things, even if it is within my calorie budget, I still won't lose - hard lesson :(

I do find the 5:2 way is the only way for me though and I don't see it as a diet rather than a lifestyle so if one week I stay the same I know if I tweek it next week another lb will come off - no rush no stress, just a lot healthier & happier :)
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

i feel that a lot of people misuse 5:2 so that they can justify severe binging or under eating in the name of doing intermittent fasting.

^ All of this.
  • melmonroe
    melmonroe Posts: 111
    Options
    The whole reason for the fastdiet is to allow freedom on free days. FREEDOM! So, yeah, if I want to binge on non- fast days, I'm going to binge. So WHAT if people are using it as an EXCUSE to stuff themselves. It's likely that they were already STUFFING themselves and to cut back by 2 days is a definite improvement and progress to them. That is the basic premise of the thing.

When I actually READ the book and eat healthy on fast days, the healthy eating and learning what feeling hungry is simply carries over into regular days. I've had all you can eat buffet and big meals on off days -- but I am NOT feeling overstuffed and I am walking around for hours those days while doing errands on foot.

On the fast day yesterday, I netted a negative -1,550.:bigsmile: Someone who can suffer calorie restrictions on a daily basis (I cannot) can bring themselves to understand someone like me with a scarcity mentality and how a fast day is much easier than day in and day out restrictions.:embarassed:
  • jffrydale
    jffrydale Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Definitely the quality of what you eat matters. What are you binging on? What are your diet weaknesses? sugar? crunchy salty fried? The recommendations here are good TDEE -20%. I use Sunday as a cheat day. Started out that I would cheat from morning til night, as I grew accustomed to the change in my eating my cheating gradually subsided to the point that I eat a nice brunch in the morning and then just the occasional sweets/fattening foods through the rest of the day. Monday through Friday I am quite strict and if I crave something during the week I make a mental note of it and just plan to eat it on Sunday. A lot of times by the time Sunday comes around I no longer crave whatever the item was as the cravings are usually temporary
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

^ All of this.

Just for emphasis ^^^
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Figure out WHY you binge and just stop it. End of problem. It can be done. I have been following this program for three months and have not been over even once. It isn't difficult at all, you just exercise a little self control.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options

This! I don't do 5:2 myself, but this seems very logical to me. Don't impose more restrictions on yourself than you are emotionally ready to handle. Eating more normally first and getting a grip on just that makes sense.
  • bsmith404
    bsmith404 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I was eating at TDEE -20% on my non fast days for 3 weeks and losing over 2lbs each week but I wasn't feeling good and after 3 weeks I lost none the following week .8 the next. So I upped my calories to my TDEE and I feel better and I lost 3lbs the week after doing that.

I had to listen to my body. There are days where I schedule myself to fast and I may feel like I have to eat and I can't do it so I do it another day.
  • melmonroe
    melmonroe Posts: 111
    Options
    If you ever read a book called "Thin Commandments" you might change your mind about "self-control. Certain foods for certain people make them eating automatons... And no I'm NOT kidding. Have you ever said to yourself that you would not eat xyz because it wasn't good for you but then you felt a switch in your head that said it was okay to A-Z??? I feel like there is a whole other person in there. They are not asking either, they just take over. Well, I have, it's like I'm really possessed. Eating is a very primal instinct that self control and will power does not work for some.

You are correct about figuring the triggers so that the automaton stays asleep.
    Figure out WHY you binge and just stop it. End of problem. It can be done. I have been following this program for three months and have not been over even once. It isn't difficult at all, you just exercise a little self control.