Can someone explain the TDEE to me

Options
So, I figured out my TDEE including my 3-5 days of exercise. So it is 2609 - I am suppose to EAT 2609 CALS a day and still lose weight - how is that possible - I am confused. I am doing the 1200 cals now and not eating my exercise cals back. I am down 41 lbs so far, do I just keep doing what I am doing?? HELP please!!! I do not want to fail this time! Thanks

Replies

• diane1223
    diane1223 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I think that is how much you actually burn each day. So, you could maintain by eating this much. you could lose one pound per week by eating 500 calories less. Hope someone else will chime in on this.
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    TDEE is how much you burn in your normal life. you gotta eat 20% less than that :)

also, work out your BMR and make sure that you eat more than that. I doubt 1200 is enough for you.
  • niqua215
    niqua215 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    You eat a percentage less than your tdee. Typically 20% less.
  • diane1223
    diane1223 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Where can you find your TDEE?
  • nisey_75
    nisey_75 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    TDEE is how much you burn in your normal life. you gotta eat 20% less than that :)

also, work out your BMR and make sure that you eat more than that. I doubt 1200 is enough for you.

My BMR is 1683 - and 20% less than my TDEE is like 2000 cals!! seriously?! How is that possible?! And why does MFP put me at 1200 cals then - this is soooo confusing!! Oh Thanks for the replies!!!
  • nisey_75
    Options
    Where can you find your TDEE?
    Just type in TDEE on the google search page and it will give you some websites to use. I used "The fit girls" website.
    Good luck!
  • trudijoy
    Options

My BMR is 1683 - and 20% less than my TDEE is like 2000 cals!! seriously?! How is that possible?! And why does MFP put me at 1200 cals then - this is soooo confusing!! Oh Thanks for the replies!!!

MFP expects you to eat back your excercise calories.

So if you were excercising say 400 a day and MFP tells you 1200, you're really expected to eat 1600 to account for the 400 cal burn. They don't explain that well.

For me, on a light week my TDEE is 2300 and a better excercise week it's 2600, so i work out my intake on lowest TDEE - 500 and I eat at 1800. If i've been working out a lot that week and i'm hungry i'll eat back up to another 200 excercise calories so on the odd occasion i might eat 2000.

if your BMR is 1683 you have to minimum eat more than that. If TDEE-20% is 2000, eat up until what you feel comfy with, then eat peanut butter to top it up. It works
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I like this post which gives a concise summary of what your TDEE is, and how much of a cut you should make:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/943139-weight-loss-cheat-sheet-ipoarm

As others have said, your TDEE is the amount of calories you burn in a typical day. Or, it's the amount of calories you would eat if you wanted to stay exactly the same weight. If you want to lose weight, you have to eat less than your TDEE.
  • wllwsmmr
    wllwsmmr Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Read this!!!!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013

Also, 1200 cals is probably because you chose the most aggressive weight loss option, 2lb/week. And also, mfp expects you to eat exercise cals back!
  • nisey_75
    Options

So if you were excercising say 400 a day and MFP tells you 1200, you're really expected to eat 1600 to account for the 400 cal burn. They don't explain that well.

For me, on a light week my TDEE is 2300 and a better excercise week it's 2600, so i work out my intake on lowest TDEE - 500 and I eat at 1800. If i've been working out a lot that week and i'm hungry i'll eat back up to another 200 excercise calories so on the odd occasion i might eat 2000.

if your BMR is 1683 you have to minimum eat more than that. If TDEE-20% is 2000, eat up until what you feel comfy with, then eat peanut butter to top it up. It works
    THANK YOU!!!!!
  • trudijoy
    Options

THANK YOU!!!!!

you're welcome. It took me so long to work things out here. I hate the freaking 'in place of a road map' thing. It never made any sense to me that way and people here can be SO condescending when you're new and working it out.

good luck x sounds like you're well on your way!
  • nisey_75
    Options
    Read this!!!!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013

Also, 1200 cals is probably because you chose the most aggressive weight loss option, 2lb/week. And also, mfp expects you to eat exercise cals back!
    THANK YOU!!!
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options

A lot of people say MFP calorie estimates are too low. Remember the calorie estimates are net, AFTER eating back exerices calories earned. So depending on what you set your weight loss goals at and what your BMR is, MFP might have assigned you the "safest" (and I use that term loosely), minimum amount of calories to avoid "starvation mode". Start eating your calories back at the very least and work your way up to TDEE-20% from there.
  • jadeyq1
    jadeyq1 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    It is really really hard to up your calories from 1200 to much higher. I've just recently made the change myself and seriously struggled in the first week to eat more!

Check out my post here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/950715-what-to-eat-to-up-your-calories

I had lots of helpful feedback on things to eat to up the calories without eating lots of high fat food :)

Good luck! xxx