Feeling discouraged

Options
I have been so good with my diet and exercise for the past three months. Last week was my birthday and all of sudden I was inundated with baked goods and chocolate. I felt so loved by my friends, but also really upset because I ate so many sweets and felt like such a failure. How could I insult my loved ones by rejecting all of their gifts? I saw a picture of myself from this weekend and I wanted to cry. I feel like I have so far to go and will never reach my goal.

Replies

• paulina61
    paulina61 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    they are not true friends if not supportive! If you fall down get up try again!
  • evis67
    evis67 Posts: 2
    Options
    Well done keeping a good diet and exercising for three months!!!! Having sweets on your birthday is ok - don't feel guilty you can't uneat it;)
    So back on track, keep focus on your goal - the reason that you have kept a good diet and exercised for three months! Go go go!
    One step at a time <3
  • mikegales
    mikegales Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have kind of hit a motivational wall at right around 100 days into logging my food. Even with a ton of support. My sweet tooth haunts me. I have to remember I have made a lot of progress I dont want to give up. I feel better than I used to. I look better. My 'skinny' clothes I thought I would never wear fit me.

I have to remember this thing is working for me when I focus on today and not on yesterday or tomorrow. If I do that I have confidence that down the road, God willing, I will be more healthy than I am today.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Self-loathing and panic will only stall your goals. Easier said than done, but breathe, you're going to be okay.

It was your birthday. It's okay to eat sweets, especially then! One day of over eating didn't make you fat before, it won't now.

And if turning down friend's food is difficult, just remember that you are doing this for you - not for them or their sensitivities. You are your priority now.
  • happyme51
    Options
    I can sympathize! I always do that to myself. Chocolate and sweets are my great temptation in life. But when I do this I always get right back into the diet. After I beat myself up a while I get right back on the horse and try again. The thing is I don't think I'm meant to never have chocolate in my life or potatoes or birthday cake I just think I've got to learn to have portions that are smaller. Denying myself every indulgence seem to create in me a stronger will to have them. I want to have a balanced healthy approach to life but let's face it sometimes it's okay to say yes to piece of birthday cake. Don't beat yourself up just get back to calorie counting the very next day. And as for diet saboteurs well, I have one in my life...it's my mother-in-law. As soon as I say I'm on a diet she just loves to pop over with cakes, muffins, pies and ice cream. I finally realized I couldn't share that part of my life with her and quickly realized who my supporters were and surround myself with those people. Best wishes! You're doing fabulous!
  • jaystacers
    jaystacers Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Dont feel too bad......Everyone will back slide every now and again. about 6 months ago I thought I had my weightloss under control so I stopped coming on here and tracking my food and I slowly got back into the bad eating habits I had before. I have gained 10 of the 20 lbs back that I lost. So I am back now right back at it and I might be 10 lbs heavier than the last time I was on here but at least I didnt gain back the full 20 lbs......... Just let your family members know that you are very serious about your weight loss and your eating habits, if they decide not to listen to you and bring you baked goods and treats then you really shouldnt really worry about hurting their feelings by rejecting it, because they werent as concerned with your feelings when they brought you the sweets in the first place.
  • xstarxdustx
    xstarxdustx Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Remind yourself of the progress that you have made so far. It's just one weekend. As people have already said, it happens to ALL OF US. It's part of the 'program.' It is a lifestyle change and not just a 'diet.' It takes time, but eventually 'slipping up' is acceptable and you don't feel as 'bad' about it when you realize that it is just one small moment in time. It's not going to undo all of the hard work you've put in and the results that you have seen so far. You have the rest of your life to treat your body well and that includes indulging from time to time if that is what you desire. Don't beat yourself up over it. You'll get where you want to go as long as you remind yourself how badly you really want it. Good luck.