Hikers United!

Options

Replies

• wahelga
    wahelga Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I wish I had a program that I could calculate how many miles there. Say we start in Boston and I put in New York as a destination then I can put in the miles we did and it calculate where we are on the route.

Google maps is quite good as you can ask for directions if driving or walking. If you ask for walking directions between Boston and New York it gives you directions (a route) and the total distance, so you could print it off and mark off progress that way.

But I have also recently signed up for a site that does virtual walks, allowing you to put in your steps and mark off progress - www.walkingwithattitude.com. Jeannie also recommended Virtual Walk/Run/Cycle Thru US @ exercise.lbl.gov and said that on Spark People there is a Spark Team called "Where Are YOU Walking To" - Thanks Jeannie :flowerforyou:
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    Tannie, you are doing as good or Better than I would be, so No Wo\rrys!!
    Did you try Google Maps? I used it when I was trying to figure out Distances in Las Vegas for a Virtual Walk. I am not sure if I ever got it right, but I did find some interesting Pictures. I think you have to have an Actual Beginning & Ending Address to get it to work.
  • penguinlally
    penguinlally Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    count me in we hike in the open spaces when we can and are out geocaching...I wear a FITBIT and keep track of my miles----hit about 15K steps daily loads more on the weekends 7.5 miles so far today nd its early
  • LJCannon
    Options
    April 24 = 10,575 Steps -- 4.52 Mile

April 25 = 11,960 Steps -- 2.87 Mile
  • wahelga
    Options
    3.26 miles for me (26 April)
  • LJCannon
    Options
    :drinker: 3.12 miles today.

Will be doing the 5K in Oklahoma City Sunday Morning. Going over Saturday Morning to pick up my Packet.
  • tanniew78
    tanniew78 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    96.92-24.73=72.19 Miles left!

I logged 1.5 miles! Woop woop..... Not the many many miles you guys seem to be able to put in, but working on it. lol. What I do, poops me out as it is. lol.

We are just past Milford Connecticut. It seems to be a beautiful bay town.

ar12121028390749_zps67a8de90.jpg[/URL]

cfiles60696_zps43469186.jpg[/URL]
  • wahelga
    Options
    4.42 miles for the 27 April, sure is pretty countryside we are walking through :happy:

and don't worry Tannie, we all walk at our own pace. Its Autumn (Fall) here and I'm sure our weather is much better than yours. The days are so good, they practical call for you to come out and enjoy them
  • S0nsh1ne
    S0nsh1ne Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    have you ever heard of geocaching? We go to the most crazy places almost every day looking for hidden treasure.

We love geocaching. My dad is in his mid-60s and that's how I get him out with the grandkids. We are going to an Exploring the Outdoors event sponsored by PBS tomorrow and our local geocaching association will be there. I am updating my Geomate Jr's as I type.
  • jeanettechicago
    Options
    10 mile hike at kettle moraine state Forrest Nordic trail.. 1700 cal burned
  • LJCannon
    Options
    :heart: When I started out, I was barely able to walk to the end of the friveway. I just gradually increased it as I was able.

5.28 Miles Walking Plus 7.37 Miles on the Recumbent Bike = 12.65 Total Miles Today.
  • wahelga
    Options
    7.04 miles for me today (28 April)

BTW: My odd numbers come from converting from kilometres to miles
  • wahelga
    Options
    and 3.29 miles for 29 April :smile:
  • barb1241
    barb1241 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I have more or less hiked my way to an 80-ish lb. loss. It has taken me 3 years, and I can assure you, it used to almost a crwal. And I was not skinny for sure. You can do it!
  • LJCannon
    Options
    :heart: Sunday, April 28 -- 5.08 Miles (includes the Oklahoma City Memorial 5k, completed in 51 Minutes!!)

:drinker: Monday, April 29 -- 3.72 Miles
  • Steffani911
    Steffani911 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    This is such a grea idea. I wonder why I haven't seen it sooner. I'm a hiker and I love it! Count me in. So are we counting walking, running, and hiking miles?

My hiking miles since the thread began April 1st:

April 1-5.26 miles to Melmont Ghost Town, Wa
    April 14-2.34 miles Pinaccle Peak-really tough hike up and back with an ascent of 990 ft in the 1.17 miles up. phew!
    April 24-1.57 miles Pinaccle Peak again but I was wiped out and my hamstrings were hurting.
    April 27-2.27 mile hike to Fairfax, Wa ghost town.

This Sunday I am doing another hike to yet another ghost town. That's my theme this month. I am really close to Mt. Rainier in Washington state, so weather permitting, I live in great hiking territory.

If we are counting miles other than hiking, I have a total of 41.95 so far in April. I am training for a half marathon too, so I am doing a 5 miler in the AM. I love to hike more, but I can run out my front door rather than drive the 50 miles or so round trip to do a good hike.
  • LJCannon
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Welcome, Steffani!! I Love Your Idea of Hiking to all the Ghost Towns - I have to ask, are you REALLY going there, or are they Virtual Hikes? If they are Real, can we look forward to seeing Pictures?
  • LJCannon
    Options
    :drinker: Oh, BTW, we are counting anything that you can measure in Miles, Steffani -- Hiking, Running, Bike, Elliptical, etc.
  • Steffani911
    Steffani911 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Welcome, Steffani!! I Love Your Idea of Hiking to all the Ghost Towns - I have to ask, are you REALLY going there, or are they Virtual Hikes? If they are Real, can we look forward to seeing Pictures?

Thanks for the welcome. Yes I am really going there. My profile pic is from last Saturday's hike to Fairfax. I'm standing on what's left of the steps into the schools swimming pool. I will post some pics in my profile as I don't know how to do it in a thread. :) Well I'll try anyway. lol
  • LJCannon
    Options
    That is AWESOME!! What a Fun way to Burn Calories!! I am Now VERY VERY Jealous of You, LOL!!
    The nearest I have ever come to that is climbing the hill at Turner Falls (Oklahoma) to explore an abandoned, dilapidated "Castle". I LOVED that!!