Most accurate exercise calorie calculator

Options
Can anyone recommend an accurate calculator for calories burnt through exercise? I've been using the ibiker app linked to myfitnesspal but it seems very generous! I cycled for 50 mins at quite a leisurely pace on a fairly flat surface and it said I'd burned up 440 calories! I want to eat my exercise calories back but am very concerned that its not accurate...

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I recommend a HRM with chest strap for cardio. (I got mine for $26 off amazon.com) Nothing is going to be 100% accurate, but hrm can help you get a more accurate number.
  • chrissi024
    chrissi024 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    HRM for sure! You probably only burnt about 250 at most on the bike.
  • Griffin220x
    Griffin220x Posts: 399
    Options
    Can anyone recommend an accurate calculator for calories burnt through exercise? I've been using the ibiker app linked to myfitnesspal but it seems very generous! I cycled for 50 mins at quite a leisurely pace on a fairly flat surface and it said I'd burned up 440 calories! I want to eat my exercise calories back but am very concerned that its not accurate...

The real truth is you probably won't find one that is accurate. I would start with a tdee calculator and weigh yourself once a week and adjust calories as needed. I found this approach to be the most accurate.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/943139-weight-loss-cheat-sheet-ipoarm
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    80-110 calories for 10 minutes is normal. Forget about fancy calculators.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    What seems to work for me without the expense of getting a HRM ... While in weight loss mode (vs maint.) I would cut my time in half when using the MFP calculator, as well as reducing the "intensity" level a couple notches...such as entering walking 2.5 mph for 30 minutes instead of entering walking 4 mph for 60 minutes that I actually did. MFP always seems generous vs what *I* feel I have done.