Calorie deficit, I just dont get it??

Options
Everyone has told me today you need a calorie deficit to loose weight...Well my typical meal before starting this journey last month was roughly 4000 to 6000 cals, so isnt dropping to 1200-1500 a day a deficit?

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    You need enough calories to fuel your body, but not too much. That's why most people suggest TDEE-20%. TDEE is the total amount of calories you burn during a normal day (regular activity, exercise, digestion, brain function, etc). Reducing that number by 20% provides enough of a deficit to ensure you lose weight without sacrificing lean mass. When you don't eat enough your body will start using your lean mass instead of fat to fill in calories.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Check this out. It's got one of the best easy and straightforward explanations.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/952996-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Lose* weight
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    1200 probably would be at a deficit for you. Or 1800 might be. You don't know until you do a little math and figure it out. Its eating below what your body needs to maintain, figuring in your height, weight, activity level, age, sex, shoe size....ok, not shoe size, but you get the picture. You eat below whatever than maintainence level is. You don't want too big a deficit, that can be self defeating and slow your loss. Besides, that wouldn't give you many calories to enjoy, and to fuel the healthy body you want to have, and that you deserve.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Everyone has told me today you need a calorie deficit to loose weight...Well my typical meal before starting this journey last month was roughly 4000 to 6000 cals, so isnt dropping to 1200-1500 a day a deficit?

yes.
  • Mavrick_RN
    Mavrick_RN Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Lose* weight

Thank you, Thank you, THANK YOU!!
  • crystal2point0
    crystal2point0 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Lose* weight

ugh. don't thank me. i was half asleep and buzzed last night, and i became that guy on the internet that corrects peoples grammer.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options

What it means is a deficit from the amount you would need to maintain (rather than the amount you've actually been eating at). If you've been putting on weight, you've probably been eating at a surplus.

For instance if you only needed 2500 to maintain, but had been eating 4000 a day, then you'd have to eat below 2500 to have a deficit. You'd lose weight if you ate 2000 calories a day, but you'd gain weight if you ate 3000 calories a day (even though that's 1000 less then what you were eating).
  • Martina_A_M
    Martina_A_M Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    people's* grammar* :happy: :glasses:
    Lose* weight

ugh. don't thank me. i was half asleep and buzzed last night, and i became that guy on the internet that corrects peoples grammer.
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    people's* grammar* :happy: :glasses:
    Lose* weight

Thank you ha-ha