Bored while exercising

Options
What do you do to keep exercise interesting?

Replies

• Etienne54
    Etienne54 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    How intense is your workout?

Try music?
  • robinellis
    Options
    i workout at home on an elliptical so i just watch my favorite tv show. and i watch it online so that there are no commercials to bore me. it takes the guilt out of watching tv and keeps me distracted so that i don't get bored or tired of working out.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    If possible, try to find an engaging workout that you might actually enjoy. On my days, I look forward to mine, either because they're kind of fun and/or I know that I'll feel better afterward. In the twelve weeks I've been working out regularly, I can honestly say that I've never felt bored during a workout.
  • Alan
    Alan Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I watch little to no TV at home, but at the gym I watch TV episodes on my phone. Not only does it give me something to do, but I look forward to going to the gym to catch the next episode.
  • brassballa
    brassballa Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Workouts don't have be boring ....forget the traditional idea of a workout....go roller skating get a hoopla hoop ...dance ...go hiking ...think outside the box save the regular workouts for rainy days....join roller derby 3 hour workouts it will kick your but and have fun :happy: ........trampoline parks have excercise classes ....cross fit at the park....have fun!!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Do something else you like. I am bored out of my mind on the treadmill, but strength training isn't dull at all for me.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Find something you enjoy and want to actually do.
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    I try to keep my exercise outdoors. I'm never bored.
    I also have so much on my mind at all times that I couldn't be bored even if locked in a room for 24 hours with nothing else to do, but think.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I watch stream TV episodes while doing the recumbent biking thing, e.g. I'm currently working my way through the Canadian detective series "Murdoch." I tried reading but too much bouncing up and down for comfort. Now that I'm starting to walk greater distances, hubby and I plan to investigate nearby state parks and walk there.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I load up the podkicker with really geeky engaging podcasts that are totally engrossing. I'm so interested in the stories, I can spend an hour on the eliptical and stationary bike easy! Some favorites include:

* This American Life
    * The Moth
    * Radio Lab
    *Stuff You Should Have Learned in History
    * More Hip than Hippie
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    If you're bored by exercise, then you're doing it wrong. Either the intensity is too low, or the activity you're doing is not interesting to you - maybe a little bit of both.
  • greenandcurly
    greenandcurly Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    In the gym, I write myself a program that keeps me moving and using lots of toys. Weights, jump rope, balls, push ups, etc. I have a whole list of things that I incorporate into my exercise. Each day I'm at the gym is a program that is different than the one I did before. When I run outside (I run a LOT), I listen to audio books. I check them out from the library and put them on my ipod. A good book will make me forget I'm running. This is what I do. Everybody entertains themselves differently.
  • jgcurry3
    jgcurry3 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Train harder, if you can read or play on your phone during a workout you're not training.
  • Etienne54
    Etienne54 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Train harder, if you can read or play on your phone during a workout you're not training.

Exactly, I didn't want to be rude and say it upfront but yeah.. if you're bored it's because you're not training hard enough.
    It takes a certain amount of concentration whenever it comes to training, so the mind doesn't have the time to get "bored".

Good luck!
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    When I do CrossFit, there isn't time to get bored. But when I run long distance, it's just me and my thoughts for hours at a time. I listen to music and let my mind be free of everything I'm worried about. Or I use the time to work through issues, or just blow off steam. I can't say I've ever been bored on a run. I love running; I look forward to it. I'd be bored out of my mind on the treadmill. My only advice is to find something that challenges you or keeps you interested.
  • harrybananas
    harrybananas Posts: 292 Member
    Options

Exactly, I didn't want to be rude and say it upfront but yeah.. if you're bored it's because you're not training hard enough.
    It takes a certain amount of concentration whenever it comes to training, so the mind doesn't have the time to get "bored".

Good luck!

This.

I never text or so anything on my phone when I'm training. I only look at it to change songs for music. I also put it in airplane mode so I can't receive texts or calls or notifications. Mind over matter.
  • violettatx
    violettatx Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I was bored with doing cardio, so I started doing dumbbell complex workouts instead. When I do that I'm too busy sweating and cursing to be bored.
  • jeremybrooks
    jeremybrooks Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I enjoy my jogging/running routine because my life has stress. That hour on the track is a great time to let it all go and renew myself. I pray and meditate and think while I run.
  • laele75
    laele75 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I watched several yoga videos until I found one with an instructor I really liked. That makes it easier to do yoga for me.

I watch TV shows on Netflix and Amazon while I bike. On pain days when I only do twenty minutes, I watch cartoons like Justice League (because I'm a big old geek) and on normal days when I do 30- 45 minutes, I watch a true crime show, a documentary, one of the Law and Orders or Supernatural. (I mentioned I was a geek, yes?)
  • ileen327
    ileen327 Posts: 21
    Options
    I watch Star Trek on my Kindle!!! Love the old episodes and love no commercials!
    I am gonna start listening to books when I do the treadmill. I can't walk and read, makes me dizzy!
    When I swim I have a waterproof MP3 player and that helps me as I swim my endless laps!!!! ( I would go crazy otherwise) I have worn out 4 of them. ( Darn , I swim a mile most of the time, I should be a skinny dolfin not an over 200 pounder!! LOL
    Embrace the exercise as fun! I do switch things up alot!!!! Good luck!