Low Carb Diaries I can view?

Options
Please let me know if you are on a low carb plan and I can view your diary. I need ideas! Thanks!

Replies

• Kimaw65
    Kimaw65 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    bumping this because I am interested in low carb diets also. I try to keep the carbs low but am not sure how and would like to peruse other diaries to get some inspiration.
  • JumpingDog
    JumpingDog Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a relatively low carb diet. Of course, I haven't been logging well recently, I cheat sometimes, and I'm a 5'0" tall woman so don't gain inspiration from my calorie amounts.

I try to not eat grains, and refined sugars. April 4, 14, 15, 17, and 22 have sort of good days.

Some things to consider: cooking in more butter and fat, eating lots of veggies (they can be very filling but low carb), eating fruit in moderation, and having nuts, cheese, and cream. Eat the skin on your chicken, and have more than one portion of meat.

Forego large amounts of breads, pastas, white potatoes, bananas, rice, etc.
  • celinabelle
    Options
    Hi all!

Low carb diets are always tempting, but please be careful! JumpingDog, reducing refined sugar intake is always a plus, but be careful with all the additional fat you're consuming in the form of creams, nuts, cheese or butter. If you're working out, your body needs to be able to replenish its energy supplies, and most nutritionists actually recommend that 50% of your daily calories come from carbohydrates! Choosing the right carbs are key.

My sources come from a college nutrition class (would be happy to share the research articles with anyone interested :) )
  • gingabebe
    gingabebe Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    You can add me, my diary is open but I haven't been doing low carb recently- I am always under on carbs. Monday I am buckling down, back to low carb since my husband asked me why we weren't eating that way anymore! He wants me to cook out of my paleo diet recipe books, but I hate hate hate to give up beans! You can get sick of salad real fast if you don't have other options so I would be interested in befriending other low carbers for meal ideas.
  • DeniseMCronin
    DeniseMCronin Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I had blood tests done before I started a low carb diet in Jan 2013 & I have bloods tested every 6 weeks. It's a load of BS that with all of the extra fat that it can be dangerous. My cholesterol is back to normal since I started this. All my blood tests are back to normal or vastly improved. My resting pulse rate is 64 & my blood pressure is 108/68. I have never been fitter or healthier
  • mumof5
    mumof5 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

Low carb diets are always tempting, but please be careful! JumpingDog, reducing refined sugar intake is always a plus, but be careful with all the additional fat you're consuming in the form of creams, nuts, cheese or butter. If you're working out, your body needs to be able to replenish its energy supplies, and most nutritionists actually recommend that 50% of your daily calories come from carbohydrates! Choosing the right carbs are key.

My sources come from a college nutrition class (would be happy to share the research articles with anyone interested :) )

^^^^^ agree - do your research, expect changes. low carb does work but it will have in impact on your mental and physical state. research research research, trial it, then do what makes you feel amazing :)
  • JumpingDog
    JumpingDog Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

No worries, I usually eat between 25% and 37% carbohydrate on any given day (which translates to up to 115g sometimes). Honestly, expert opinions change frequently. I am not of the mind that every person requires up to 11 servings of grain in a day. I also agree, don't eat super low carb and don't eat low carb and low fat.
    Fats are fantastic energy supplies though; I think science will continue to find out more fascinating things about fats.
    Do your research, expect changes. low carb does work but it will have in impact on your mental and physical state. research research research, trial it, then do what makes you feel amazing :)

This has been my way of doing things. I just feel energetic and happy to be outside when before I felt mopey and tired. Below ~70g of carb, I feel tired again.
  • ChrystalDutton
    ChrystalDutton Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    mine is usually under 150 carbs per day :)
  • fitnessmare
    fitnessmare Posts: 117
    Options
    The main reason I ask to see what others are eating is so that I can get an idea of what things are out there that I'm missing. I am not interested in losing a lot of weight but, because of my age (51), I am starting to hang onto that fat around my middle and I'm trying to cut carbs (not drastically) to see if that will help my struggle. My dietary needs have changed over the past few years along with my metabolism. I'm just interested to see what a day looks like for others. :)
  • linbert57
    linbert57 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    You can add me if you'd like. My breakfast is the same every day. I have a nutribullet and I make a "blast". I don't eat red meat but have chicken and fish and eggs as my proteins. I have lost over 6 lbs in the last couple of weeks with NET carbs at around 20 per day. I eat an average of 1200-1400 cals/day. I'm burning fat as my fuel!!
  • ronrstaats
    ronrstaats Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I do low carb but I doubt I would be of much help. Lost 150 pounds from June-2011 to July-2012. I have been on the maintenance phase of low carb since July-2012. My diet is a bit more modified now. Added a little bit more carbs in my diet as well as more protein since I have been working out.

I have yet to have any organs explode, or forget where I live or drop dead from doing between 20 to 50 carbs a day. I have no idea where all the myths come from when it comes to doing low carb/ketogenic diet.

That being said, the best thing that ever happened to me to help loose weight on low carb was to join several Facebook groups that deal with only low carb so you can get real information about it. MFP people seem to really hate people who ask about Low Carb advice and spew out the myths about it.
  • fitnessmare
    fitnessmare Posts: 117
    Options
    I do low carb but I doubt I would be of much help. Lost 150 pounds from June-2011 to July-2012. I have been on the maintenance phase of low carb since July-2012. My diet is a bit more modified now. Added a little bit more carbs in my diet as well as more protein since I have been working out.

I have yet to have any organs explode, or forget where I live or drop dead from doing between 20 to 50 carbs a day. I have no idea where all the myths come from when it comes to doing low carb/ketogenic diet.

That being said, the best thing that ever happened to me to help loose weight on low carb was to join several Facebook groups that deal with only low carb so you can get real information about it. MFP people seem to really hate people who ask about Low Carb advice and spew out the myths about it.

I appreciate the advice! I guess I opened a can of worms here. lol
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I'm low-carb due to diabetes and Hashimoto's ( and have celiac sprue as well, which made giving up grains even easier) My ratios are 20% carb/30%protein/50%fat and my diary is open.

I've never felt better. My blood glucose is under tight control (A1C 5.2) and my lipid profile is greatly improved
    TC - 161 , HDL - 53, LDL - 89 , triglycerides - 86)
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Not sure how low you mean but I have diabetes and I have to keep my carbs low. My diary is public...feel free to look.
  • mumof5
    mumof5 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    i hope i didnt sound like a hater - i eat a low carb diet. when i talk carbs i talk total carbs - that found in vegies, fruits..everything not just grains. i eat around 30-40% carbs every day. lower then that puts my kids at serious risk. i am one nasty bi#%h!!! im not saying dont do it, im just saying do your research, trial and error to find the right level for you :) your welcome to add me to check out my diary.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    There are youtube channels that do it better sometimes for meal ideas than MFP.
  • audrianamoody
    Options
    Hey!! I am doing a low-carb diet! I dont have any diaries, but I can sure give you advice on it. This is my third time doing it!
  • Annie83uk
    Annie83uk Posts: 128
    Options
    i don't know what amount of carbs is classed as low, my goal is 254 but i'm usually under, i don't eat potatoes or pasta very often if i do eat pasta it's wholewheat. my diary is open if you want to look
  • Code7526
    Code7526 Posts: 52
    Options
    Instead of eating bread with your food, you can eat a good fat with your food like olive oil or avocado. I think good fats like olive oil or avocados makes you feel satisfied like bread does. I sometimes eat a can of Cannellini in brine with some olive oil and feel satisfied without having any bread. Uncooked sunflower oil in moderation is also meant to be good for you. Dr Atkins claimed that you need a high protein, high fat(good fats) low carb diet to loose weight. I lost weight by cutting out sugar and wheat.

Breakfast: Big Bowl of oats with full cream milk but no sugar
    or
    Two boiled eggs, an orange and a glass of full cream milk

Snack: 1 fruit

Lunch: Protein(Chickpeas, lentils, navy beans, black beans ,eggs, tuna or skinless chicken) + salad with olive oil

Snack: 1 fruit

Supper: Protein(Chickpeas, lentils, navy beans, black beans, eggs, tuna or skinless chicken) + dark green vegetables with olive oil

Drink 2 litres of water a day
    No refined sugar in any form
    No wheat in any form