Horses as motivation - Anyone else?

Options
My new and biggest motivation for losing weight.

553008_10151301666117701_1095471157_n_zps31998bea.jpg

This is my boy bear and I am too heavy to ride him. My husband will be able to but I really want to be able to. I have a second horse as well coming that will be able to handle me but I want to be less of a burden when riding. Its also a great workout and good for the muscles as well. Anyone else have their horses as motivation? Please share! :)

Replies

• Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I don't have horses but love them.

I wouldn't dream of getting on one again and expecting them to carry me until I get to about 160lb.

if nothing else, with legs as short as mine, to get a horse capable of taking my weight, I'd need a cobby one shaped rather like a barrel, so I'd have bandy legs - or some giant heavy horse where I'd look like an overweight jockey with high stirrups - and need a step ladder to get me up there.
  • kcaffee1
    kcaffee1 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Don't have any at the moment, and even if I did, I wouldn't DREAM of putting the poor thing through the effort of trying to carry me. I know that they can safely carry up to 10% of their body weight, but even a draft would have issues! Though, not for much longer, if I have anything to say about it!
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    The last run-in I had with a horse, was accidentally eating one...
  • Camilleathome
    Camilleathome Posts: 99 Member
    Options

I wouldn't dream of getting on one again and expecting them to carry me until I get to about 160lb.

if nothing else, with legs as short as mine, to get a horse capable of taking my weight, I'd need a cobby one shaped rather like a barrel, so I'd have bandy legs - or some giant heavy horse where I'd look like an overweight jockey with high stirrups - and need a step ladder to get me up there.

I know of larger riders with drafts that easily take their weight but its suggested NOT to try to get on from the ground as it pinches the gullet of the saddle. Also extra padding(Nice thick real wool saddle blanket or a bareback pad under your saddle and making sure the saddle fits your horse properly and that YOU PERSONALLY have a good seat and are not emcumbering the horse help with that.

If your getting on your horse its better to get on using a mounting block. Spirit my mare that Im getting is coming from a bible camp and she is cinchy and doesent like her cinch chafing her when someone is trying to get on anyway so I would never try to get on her from the ground. My horses arent home yet. They are coming next month and I cant wait. Lots of exercise tending to them for sure :D
  • white_horse
    white_horse Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    It's actually more than 10%. If you got that number from a recent article which has been circulating in a bunch of british publications that number is false. With the 10% number then almost no horse could be ridden by adults and most men wouldn't even qualify on a drafter. It comes does build of the horse, skill of the rider, and fitness of the horse. At my heaviest (245lbs) I was riding a 17.3 hand Oldenburg gelding and he had no problems carrying my weight (but I've also been riding since I was a kid). He was in very good shape (exercised and jumped 1-2 hours a day 3 days a week, sometimes 4 and would often be shown on Saturday). He was in much better shape than I was. I've since switched barns and was just getting to a weight I could ride the horse I do now when I got there (25 year old TB who still competes regularly at eventing. I was about 180lbs when I started riding him). He has definitely motivated me to keep losing weight - to make it easier on him and he's brought back some confidence in my riding that I had lost recently due to a fall.
  • Camilleathome
    Options
    It's actually more than 10%. If you got that number from a recent article which has been circulating in a bunch of british publications that number is false. With the 10% number then almost no horse could be ridden by adults and most men wouldn't even qualify on a drafter. It comes does build of the horse, skill of the rider, and fitness of the horse. At my heaviest (245lbs) I was riding a 17.3 hand Oldenburg gelding and he had no problems carrying my weight (but I've also been riding since I was a kid). He was in very good shape (exercised and jumped 1-2 hours a day 3 days a week, sometimes 4 and would often be shown on Saturday). He was in much better shape than I was. I've since switched barns and was just getting to a weight I could ride the horse I do now when I got there (25 year old TB who still competes regularly at eventing. I was about 180lbs when I started riding him). He has definitely motivated me to keep losing weight - to make it easier on him and he's brought back some confidence in my riding that I had lost recently due to a fall.

I fell off a horse and had really bad back pain for a year so I know how that is. i look forward to be able to go riding more regularly but for now Im just too heavy to do that to my horse. Ill stick to shorter rides to start until she is in better shape(She can handle my weight bear cannot).
  • BlueObsidian
    BlueObsidian Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I haven't ridden in over 10 years and I would love to start again, but I am definitely insecure about my size when it comes to getting on a horse! My plan is to use riding as my reward to myself when I get down below 184 (which was the lowest weight I've been as an adult).
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Two years ago, I was looking at retirement in one more year and soon after, moving where I would have one of our horses to ride again. At 215, I was really too heavy for him and so out of shape that I would have had a hard time even doing chores. I plastered pictures of my horse on MFP and my computer wallpaper to remind myself to keep eating right and exercising. By the time I got back to riding, I was at a reasonable weight (155-160) that I had maintained for over a year.

Now, the 3 hours daily that I spend at the barn, cleaning paddocks, grooming, ground work and riding, is plenty of varied exercise to help shed the last 10 or so pounds, and keep it off.
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options

I know of larger riders with drafts that easily take their weight but its suggested NOT to try to get on from the ground as it pinches the gullet of the saddle. Also extra padding(Nice thick real wool saddle blanket or a bareback pad under your saddle and making sure the saddle fits your horse properly and that YOU PERSONALLY have a good seat and are not emcumbering the horse help with that.

If your getting on your horse its better to get on using a mounting block. Spirit my mare that Im getting is coming from a bible camp and she is cinchy and doesent like her cinch chafing her when someone is trying to get on anyway so I would never try to get on her from the ground. My horses arent home yet. They are coming next month and I cant wait. Lots of exercise tending to them for sure :D

Oh, believe me, I used a mounting block when I rode. But the size of horse I'd need to take my current weight, and with the shortness of my legs - it would mean a block looking more like a staircase.

I'll wait and keep it as a major NSV/reward for me.
  • kcaffee1
    kcaffee1 Posts: 759 Member
    Options

Thanks for the updated numbers! Yes, I have been using old numbers from at least... 10 years ago (I think!)... Makes me think that I might actually be able to consider getting another hard foot "child" when I get back into the real workforce again! ::Does the excited dance:: Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!!!
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Yes. I have 13 Egyptian Arabians at present. Check out Reshan in my profile pictures.
  • Camilleathome
    Options
    Yes. I have 13 Egyptian Arabians at present. Check out Reshan in my profile pictures.

Gorgegous! :D
  • allshebe
    allshebe Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I was able to mount my 14/14.1 haflinger from the ground today. I think the last time I managed was maybe last fall and it was WAY harder then (more like a comedy act). I'm hoping to be able to mount EASILY from the ground when I make my goal weight so I can go trail riding without worrying what I'll do if I have DISMOUNT for some reason. Yes, I know mounting from a mounting block is better for the horse and I generally use a block, but it's good to know you have alternatives when no block is available. (Pony was weighed at something like 1126 pounds last fall, so at the 20% mark, which is what I've seen "bounced around" she's well up to my current weight or even more - at least for the time and speed I normally ride)

For reference, the Grand Canyon mule rides have an upper weight limit of 200 pounds (including clothing) for the overnight trip. Looking at several videos, I'm guessing that most of the mules are in the 1200-1500 pound range.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    OP, I don't know anything about horses, other than that they could crush me just by looking at me, but is that gorgeous thing in your pic a poodle? I have a lovely white standard myself. Best dog ever! :heart:
  • Camilleathome
    Options
    OP, I don't know anything about horses, other than that they could crush me just by looking at me, but is that gorgeous thing in your pic a poodle? I have a lovely white standard myself. Best dog ever! :heart:

It is :D. Im a poodle fan. I have two miniatures right now with another one on the way :D
  • Coyoteldy
    Coyoteldy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    AH..... my kingdom for a Bay... sigh.. ok look this is GREAT motivation for you.. hang a picture of that horse everywhere...but besides the horse there are other reasons for losing weight. I competed, rode, ran horse shows and ran a horse ranch for manyyyyy years and as you well know coming off a horse is painful but you are more at risk for serious injury if you are over weight and out of shape. I think that horse is great motivation ( any horse will motivate me to just about anything) Go for it sweety.. walk that horse clean up after it.. exercise and then when you hit where you need to be RIDE!!
  • ocragal
    ocragal Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    What a beautiful motivator! We've had saddlebreds and thoroughbreds for about 20 years. Cleaning stalls, trailers, hauling hay, feedbags, walking your horse to pasture, blanketing, walking the horse back to the barn, carrying tack, and washing and grooming your horse will be not only a wonderful workout for you, but will help you develop a rapport and trusting relationship with your horse so that when you hit that magic number, the two of you will both be ready for you to ride.

While you are working out, maybe consider exercises that will help you be flexible and develop strong inner thigh muscles. Keep your eye on the prize -- and PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE keep us all posted of your progress, and post pictures of that first ride!!!
  • pandoraw
    pandoraw Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    meart_zps8e61271c.jpg[/URL]
    I don't own horses anymore, but my daughter has 3. The pic is of me in Feb this year. I weighed about 220. I did use a mounting block as I am 5'3" and the horse is 16.3 hh. I want this horse when my daughter retires her from endurance riding(and I am lighter).
    I really had fun riding that day!
  • Camilleathome
    Options
    meart_zps8e61271c.jpg[/URL]
    I don't own horses anymore, but my daughter has 3. The pic is of me in Feb this year. I weighed about 220. I did use a mounting block as I am 5'3" and the horse is 16.3 hh. I want this horse when my daughter retires her from endurance riding(and I am lighter).
    I really had fun riding that day!

It is a lot of fun :). I look forward to having my horses here. I have two bitless bridles on order that should be here any day as bear is a bitless horse. He usually prefers bareback as well. He broke a leg a long time ago and recovered fully but after that when they cinched him for the firs time after he litterally fainted. She worked with him for a long time and got him to the point that he would kindof accept it but then moved him to a larger pasture and just rode him bareback then his last home he never got ridden except a few times here and there bareback(As long as he trusts you he will let you ride him bareback). I was told if I wanted to get him back to saddle I would have to slowly get him used to the cinch every day by pretending to cinch, then cinch, then tighten slowly and more and more everytime. Last time someone tried to put a saddle on him and did it the normal way he reared up. Im lucky enough to know two people who have owned him the majority of his life(He is 22 years old). So once hubby gains his trust I have taught him how to ride spirit(Who was used for kids camps and is used to inexperienced riders) he will be able to ride him bareback
  • sunshinestater
    sunshinestater Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Aren't horses a wonderful motivator? I have an Appaloosa gelding and felt bad riding him when I was at my heaviest. Now it's more of a matter of not having time, but I'll feel so much better getting back on him when I reach my goal.