Green Tea Ideas to make it more tasty?

Options
Green tea has no flavor whatsoever to me, it sort of taste bitter. People always brag about how good green tea is, what are some cool ways to drink this without necessarily having to add sugar? Any suggestions?

Replies

• Project_Jodie
    Options
    Maybe try a different brand - some normal green tea is yuck to me - I much prefer the flavour of green tea with Jasmine. I find different brands have different tastes
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Jasmine makes it taste nice, but if it is bitter you are over-brewing it. Without the jasmine, the flavour is very delicate and easily drowned out. 1-2 minutes should be more than enough depending on the brand; if you brew it like PG Tips or similar, you end up with the bitterness.

Personally, I think green tea is over-hyped and tend to drink Earl Grey more than anything else!
  • meg_wickett
    Options
    I am a huge tea fan. Totally agree with above poster...can't let it steep too long. Also good if you don't steep it at hot temperatures....ideally 80 degrees celcius ??170 farenheit is better
  • rad3585
    rad3585 Posts: 7
    Options
    I like to add a little Truvia (no calorie natural sweetener) and lemon juice!
  • celinabelle
    Options
    I loooove my green tea - and it is a crazy good source of EGCG.

If you're not super down to sweeten it with a little honey, try the Celestial Seasonings Green Tea with White Tea (not an ad, I just like this one). It's got an elephant on the box - it's legitimately so much sweeter than normal green tea, you won't even need honey.
  • ThatSoundsHard
    ThatSoundsHard Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Try some different blends. Some with fruit or other teas. The tin of green tea in my pantry ATM isn't totally awesome on its own but I've been mixing in just a touch of the honeybush that I have and it's really nice. If you really don't like it though. Just don't drink it. There are so many teas out there
  • tattygun
    tattygun Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Take green tea caps!
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I don't care for the taste of green tea--tastes like hay to me, and not in a good way. So when I brew it for iced tea, I throw in a few mint tea bags. When I drink it hot, I just buy the fruit-flavored green teas (like any of the Lipton Superfruit line), and all the ones I've tried have tasted good.
  • jbruced
    jbruced Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Green tea needs to be brewed for a short time, some for only 30 to 40 seconds, in water that is between 145 F to 170 F. Some green teas you can brew the same leaves 4 to 5 times and the 4th brewing is the best cup in the series. It can take some time for your taste buds to appreciate the subtle flavors in any of the green or white teas. Most beverages we drink are so overloaded with flavorings that anything else seems bland or tasteless until we practice tasting the real thing.
  • MrsNina1972
    MrsNina1972 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I buy different kinds of green tea, if it is just lipton green tea bags I squeeze some fresh lemon juice into it.
  • ldbuster0
    ldbuster0 Posts: 207
    Options
    I like lemon herbal green tea. If I buy regular green tea, I add some lemon juice.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I second (third?) flavored green tea. I love lemon myrtle green tea.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    The only way to make green tea taste good is to use it to water your heirloom organic tomatoes...then eat the tomatoes.
  • Danni3ll3
    Danni3ll3 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Green tea needs to be brewed for a short time, some for only 30 to 40 seconds, in water that is between 145 F to 170 F. Some green teas you can brew the same leaves 4 to 5 times and the 4th brewing is the best cup in the series. It can take some time for your taste buds to appreciate the subtle flavors in any of the green or white teas. Most beverages we drink are so overloaded with flavorings that anything else seems bland or tasteless until we practice tasting the real thing.

This ^. If you brew it with water that it too hot or you brew it too long, it will be bitter. Also look into the flavoured green teas, some of them are awesome, some of them not so much. Some of the tea places such as Teavana or David's Tea will make up samples so you an figure out what you like. The toasted walnut from David's Tea is to die for. Teavana will make combinations of various teas. I had them put in green tea in my combos instead of black tea so I still get the chai or fruity flavours and I get my green tea in there too as the doctor ordered. =)
  • amaysngrace
    amaysngrace Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    Jasmine makes it taste nice, but if it is bitter you are over-brewing it. Without the jasmine, the flavour is very delicate and easily drowned out. 1-2 minutes should be more than enough depending on the brand; if you brew it like PG Tips or similar, you end up with the bitterness.

Personally, I think green tea is over-hyped and tend to drink Earl Grey more than anything else!
    Good advice! Thanks!
  • amaysngrace
    Options
    True.
  • amaysngrace
    Options
    The only way to make green tea taste good is to use it to water your heirloom organic tomatoes...then eat the tomatoes.
    Ha ha funny-good one.
  • amaysngrace
    Options

This ^. If you brew it with water that it too hot or you brew it too long, it will be bitter. Also look into the flavoured green teas, some of them are awesome, some of them not so much. Some of the tea places such as Teavana or David's Tea will make up samples so you an figure out what you like. The toasted walnut from David's Tea is to die for. Teavana will make combinations of various teas. I had them put in green tea in my combos instead of black tea so I still get the chai or fruity flavours and I get my green tea in there too as the doctor ordered. =)
    I dont think we have those places here in Blue Springs.
  • kerricus
    kerricus Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I personally like green tea, but only a few brands. I thought it tasted like grass/lawn the first time I tried it.

Test a few different brands. Try adding another tea to it. Try adding lemon peal or lime to it.

Are you in the US? If yes, I like Tazo's Zen, but it's too expensive most of the time. You can try buying a generic green tea and adding one of Bigelow's fruit flavored teas. Just brew 2 cups at once. They also sell Earl Grey green tea.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    This is going to sound very odd but I love green tea with sage. I have a stainless steel tea ball and I just tuck some loose green tea (don't like the paper tea bag taste) and a pinch of sage in it and brew it for just a couple of minutes (let the tea kettle sit for 15 seconds after it boils to cool the water to the appropriate temperature). The aroma is really nice. Sometimes I add a squeeze of lemon juice too.