From Fat to Fitness & Boston Marathon in 2 years

Options
mikmowtx
mikmowtx Posts: 8 Member
Two years ago I was 49 years old, significantly overweight and headed for certain diabetes. That all changed when I made a decision to change my life and also found MyFitnessPal!!! Yes, I had to do the work but MyFitnessPal kept me on-track and accountable to myself.
In less than a year I went from 260+ down to the 150's. Dropped 16 to 17 inches off my waistline but more importantly, I fell in love and became passionate about running (well, maybe obsessed). I set a goal of running my first half marathon in October of 2011 and my first full marathon in December of 2011. I was able to accomplish both of those goals and in a year and a half completed a total of 3 half marathons and 5 full marathons. My 2nd dream/goal was to attempt to qualify for the Boston Marathon. In October 2012 I accomplished that goal by completing the Chicago Marathon with a Boston qualifying time. Two weeks ago, I completed the Boston Marathon in what was for me a new personal record.
New goals to achieve are a half or full marathon ran in every state and complete a sub three hour marathon within the next year.
I post all this not to brag (well maybe a little :smile: ) but let anyone struggling with weight and/or health issues know, YOU CAN DO IT!!!! I was overweight, lazy and had resigned myself to being that way until the day I died (which may have not been that many years away). Yes, there was a bit of an epiphany that occurred in my life (another story) but a decision must be made and you have to remain committed to it...

Replies

• toritumtum
    Options
    wow. that's impressive! congratulation for a job well done. one more time ..wow
  • mjpTennis
    mjpTennis Posts: 6,165 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your story and congrats on changing your life around. I am currently starting to train for marathons with my first 10 mile run coming this weekend. Hoping to be running in Boston some day soon.
  • Jedil
    Jedil Posts: 62
    Options
    Thanks for the inspiring post! Being 50, it is great to read posts like this. It kind of kicks me in the tail and makes me want to shoot for the stars (If I miss, I will still get the moon! It's a wonderful life!). :happy:
  • squirrell79
    squirrell79 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Holy cow, that's amazing! Congratulations on your successful journey, and thank you for sharing your story.
  • Karrie262
    Karrie262 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    YOU ARE AMAZING! Yes, I wrote that in all caps...because you are. Such an inspiration!
  • ktrn0312
    ktrn0312 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Applause! Applause! Thank you for sharing.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Two years ago I was 49 years old, significantly overweight and headed for certain diabetes. That all changed when I made a decision to change my life and also found MyFitnessPal!!! Yes, I had to do the work but MyFitnessPal kept me on-track and accountable to myself.
    In less than a year I went from 260+ down to the 150's. Dropped 16 to 17 inches off my waistline but more importantly, I fell in love and became passionate about running (well, maybe obsessed). I set a goal of running my first half marathon in October of 2011 and my first full marathon in December of 2011. I was able to accomplish both of those goals and in a year and a half completed a total of 3 half marathons and 5 full marathons. My 2nd dream/goal was to attempt to qualify for the Boston Marathon. In October 2012 I accomplished that goal by completing the Chicago Marathon with a Boston qualifying time. Two weeks ago, I completed the Boston Marathon in what was for me a new personal record.
    New goals to achieve are a half or full marathon ran in every state and complete a sub three hour marathon within the next year.
    I post all this not to brag (well maybe a little :smile: ) but let anyone struggling with weight and/or health issues know, YOU CAN DO IT!!!! I was overweight, lazy and had resigned myself to being that way until the day I died (which may have not been that many years away). Yes, there was a bit of an epiphany that occurred in my life (another story) but a decision must be made and you have to remain committed to it...

WOW. This made my jaw DROP..we a similar same age and did a very similar weight loss journey. I aspire to all the things you have achieved. What a fantastic post to read 7 days before my first ever marathon. Thank you for sharing your amazing story. Utterly inspiring.
  • kerricus
    kerricus Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Way to go! Also, so glad that you did not get hurt.
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad that you took control of your life.

Congratulations on your new found health and vitality!
  • mikmowtx
    Options
    Good luck with your first marathon!!! Which one are you running?
  • mikmowtx
    Options
    Thank you for the kind words.... the only down side to my first Boston Marathon was not really being able to celebrate given the tragedy that occurred there. I will really be looking forward to going back next year and he great part is that I am already qualified based on my time from this year.
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!

And as a Massachsetts resident,glad you made it safe!
  • kara2
    kara2 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing and bragging a little. Your journey gives hope and inspiration to people like me. Congratulations.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    That was a good time you got !
  • ErinG6191
    ErinG6191 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! That is amazing and so inspirational to me. I never thought I could be a runner, but after finding the right shoes and doing the c25k program I am running a 5k next weekend and am so psyched for it. I am also running the Falmouth Road Race (I live on the Cape) which is 7.1 miles in August. I have a goal to try a half marathon in October and then will evaluate after that if I want to try to run Boston next year. My heart says yes, my brain is still telling me I'm crazy.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! What an amazing accomplishment (everything!!)

There WAS a down-side, but you still deserve to have a huge celebration!!
  • ChasingKatie
    ChasingKatie Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Nice job and great time!!! Congrats!
  • brit_ks_89
    brit_ks_89 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    WOW ! you are a rock star, and an inspiration ! i just started running this week and i am so in love with it. !
    thank you for posting !!! i appreciate it.
  • aliciaaw
    aliciaaw Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    What a story, you have every right to brag! I just started the couch 2 5k with my 21 year granddaughter. And we are going to do the color run in Nov. in Az. Can't wait till I get to where you're at today
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!