hello everyone :)

Options
Hi there!

My name is Chanda and I am new to the whole exercising regularly & eating healthily thing. I made an account on this website because I think I need to get serious about it. The only problem is that I have no idea where in the world to start! Any pointers along my undoubtedly arduous journey to becoming healthy will be greatly appreciated. :)

Replies

• Armyantzzz
    Armyantzzz Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Start with your diet... and select foods that will assist you in meeting the daily calorie counts.. Also, commit to execising to assist in your weight loss. Drinking water, cutting sodium, eliminating useless carbs..etc. It's a routine that will aid in your losing the weight you set as your personal goal. The concept is built around eliminating enough calories per day so that by the end of each week you'll begin to see positive results. And you will find this website to be quite supportive... with people of similar considerations , etc. I've been at this site for three + weeks and I like it a lot. I especially like the feature of searching for the foods you eat and getting a numbered readout for the amount of calories , etc. (you'll experience most brands of many type foods are in the inventory) . It's a user friendly website with very friendly people participating. I hope your experience is a good one!!:smile::smile:
  • chanzillaa
    chanzillaa Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the warm welcome, Armyantzzz! Sorry haha, I'm not quite sure what to call you. :P

I know that diet is a huge part of the becoming healthy process, but I have no idea how to really work on that. I've never really had to cook, so am unsure of what foods are actually cook-able for someone like me. The greatest extent of my cooking ability is scrambled eggs, really. I sure love eggs, but they get old after having them for dinner a couple of nights in a row haha.

Fortunately I do already have a few healthy habits, like always opting for water and disliking soda & coffee--so I know how to say 'no' to most unhealthy things, but don't actually know what healthy foods to eat. This obviously needs to change.
  • royvor
    royvor Posts: 271
    Options
    Hi, Welcome to MFP. I have sent you a friend request. What I would suggest is to really watch your portion of what you eat get a food scale and measuring cups/spoons and start planing small changes. So like if you want start with cooking one meal a day with herbs and spices for a healthy breakfast, lunch or dinner then adding a new goal when you see you have accomplished that small goal. It is all about starting small, switching old behaviors for new ones that will get you to that goal.
    I know you mentioned you don't know how to cook. I do not either but try making omlets with, spinach, green onion, or adding, asparagus, mushrooms, tomatoe, pickles, jalapenos. I eat that for my breakfast with half a cup of beans and since I change what I put in it I don't get tired of it. Then for lunch you could make some chicken you boil or back and brown rice, or a tuna sandwhich with whole wheat bread, no mayo I swap out that for non fat greek yougurt. Also try adding brown rice, some fish like tilapia and just cooking with things you like. Also I watched alot of youtube and people post lots of vlogs of what they eat. That helped me see ideas on snacks. You can do it.
  • chanzillaa
    Options
    Thank you royvor! I have accepted your friend request. :)

That sounds like great advice for when I have learned how to actually cook! I read some of your profile & see that you needed to learn how too as well, since you once ate mostly fast food & your mom's cooking; that's pretty much how it is for me right now. I'm used to getting fast food or restaurant food taken home, or the food that is already hot at the grocery stores - all of those are so much easier than of course cooking on my own.
  • HillCountryLynn
    HillCountryLynn Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    If you will go to sparkpeople.com you can get sample daily menus and even substitute items on there
    Lynell
  • Emmadivens
    Options
    cut out processed foods. Move, it doesn't matter how, just get up and walk, anytime you exercise standing up, you work your core.which helps the rest of the body. lots of fruits and veggies. You can do it. I have faith in you.
  • chanzillaa
    Options
    Thanks Lynell! I'll try making an account now! That's definitely a step in the right direction.

Hello Emmadivens - that will be incredibly tough for me! I think almost everything I eat is processed. I also have to wean myself off of junk foods: cookies, chips, etc. :( I didn't used to eat them so often but I've made it a ritual to have some after almost every dinner (which is obviously a terrible idea, but some kind of comfort to me & my spoiled taste buds).

I don't exercise very regularly but I will definitely try to! Getting out of the house can be a drag but I see now that I can simply youtube some easy stay-at-home exercises! Thank you for the well wishes.
  • runningnatural
    runningnatural Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm new looking to lose my last 15lbs. Lost 27lbs already. I exercise 5-6x a week already but have trouble with portion control and proper food choices. Looking for any support and suggestions! Thanks:happy: :happy:
  • chanzillaa
    Options
    Hi runningnatura! 27lbs - wow! That must have taken a lot of work! I hope to one day be able to exercise as often as you do. Good luck! :)