Just joined here...already discouraged :(

Options
Let me start off by saying I don't have a lot to lose. I am 5'6 (and 3/4 to be exact...lol!) and weigh 127. But for me 127 is high. I'm normally in the 125-123 range. I feel best at the lower end of that so I'm trying to lose those 5 lbs. I joined a 6 week boot camp session and have gone 2-3 times a week. I have been watching what I eat, but more so this week since I joined here and started logging my food intake. Today we had our first weigh in. I lost 1 lb and an inch in my belly. Nothing else changed even a bit. I feel like I've been killing myself these last 3 weeks for nothing! I have cut out every single food or junk that I love. I haven't had a chocolate bar, girl scout cookie or PBJ in 3 weeks! I'm about to throw in the towel. But first I thought I'd come on here and as you all....What else can I do to lose these last few lbs?

Replies

• KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    For only wanting to lose 5 lbs, 1/week is damn good. Also, you don't have to completely give up girl scout cookies and PBJ, especially if it's not going to be sustainable after you lose those 5 lbs.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    You lost an inch in your belly.

I repeat. You lost an inch in your belly.
  • hymescs
    hymescs Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I read this article not too long ago:
    http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-9159/the-top-12-reasons-you-cant-shed-that-extra-weight.html

I hope it helps and give you the inspiration you need to keep going. Not sure how much you're trying to shed, but if your body is already used to a routine, sometimes you have to change it up a bit to get the results you want. Good luck.
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    How much are you eating and what are you eating?

If you're 127 and feeling fat (even though I'm sure you're not), perhaps what you actually want/need to do is build some lean body mass. Start lifting heavy weights, eat enough protein (and fat) to support that and don't beat yourself up when results take a while to come.
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Inches > Weight when you're pretty much at your goal weight. Muscle takes up less space than fat. You're likely losing fat, so in the long run you'll look better and feel better while your weight stays the same or even increase a bit.
  • imfivebyfive
    Options
    I would say practice being patient. To lose 5 lbs should take you around 5 weeks or so if you simply track your cals and don't cheat. Anything worth it takes time.
  • Emmadivens
    Options
    Wow, you are right, you don't have a lot to lose, most people on her would envy you. stop with the process foods first. Are you a small, medium or large framed person? a small framed person should weight a 120-133. so more for a medium or large framed person.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    You have very little to lose, so you will lose it slowly. Good news is, it is more likely to stay off.

Plus you lose an inch on your belly! That's awesome!

And finally, think of all the other good you are doing your body. Your heart, lungs, metabolism and general health all thank you. There is so much more to it than a number on the scale.
  • barebon
    barebon Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    The more pounds you have the faster you will lose. I've noticed the closer I get to my ideal weight the slower it is to lose weight but if you are doing it correctly then that's what you want. There is nothing worse than losing muscle and still having the same fat in your body. Just keep it up, you will get there! And don't stress about what you can't eat. I eat what I want but in proportion.
  • JessicaDumont2
    JessicaDumont2 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Wow, you are right, you don't have a lot to lose, most people on her would envy you. stop with the process foods first. Are you a small, medium or large framed person? a small framed person should weight a 120-133. so more for a medium or large framed person. I'm sorry, but I thing you are doing fine and should leave this website for the people who really need assistants.

Not to sound rude, but this is a fitness site. Not ONLY a weight loss site and tool. It's for people looking to lose, tone up, get healthy, get fit, etc. So she is in the right place.

And like others have said, be patient. The less you have to lose, the harder it is. And be happy, you lost an inch off your stomach. That shows right there you are making progress. :D
  • bjean0
    bjean0 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    what? you did fine. the smaller you are the slower it is. if you are feeling fat you're not, but if you are then you should incorporate weight training to lean up.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    SQUAT.
  • Wow, you are right, you don't have a lot to lose, most people on her would envy you. stop with the process foods first. Are you a small, medium or large framed person? a small framed person should weight a 120-133. so more for a medium or large framed person. I'm sorry, but I thing you are doing fine and should leave this website for the people who really need assistants.

Not to sound rude, but this is a fitness site. Not ONLY a weight loss site and tool. It's for people looking to lose, tone up, get healthy, get fit, etc. So she is in the right place.

And like others have said, be patient. The less you have to lose, the harder it is. And be happy, you lost an inch off your stomach. That shows right there you are making progress. :D

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • PrettyPearl88
    PrettyPearl88 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Let me start off by saying I don't have a lot to lose. I am 5'6 (and 3/4 to be exact...lol!) and weigh 127. But for me 127 is high. I'm normally in the 125-123 range. I feel best at the lower end of that so I'm trying to lose those 5 lbs. I joined a 6 week boot camp session and have gone 2-3 times a week. I have been watching what I eat, but more so this week since I joined here and started logging my food intake. Today we had our first weigh in. I lost 1 lb and an inch in my belly. Nothing else changed even a bit. I feel like I've been killing myself these last 3 weeks for nothing! I have cut out every single food or junk that I love. I haven't had a chocolate bar, girl scout cookie or PBJ in 3 weeks! I'm about to throw in the towel. But first I thought I'd come on here and as you all....What else can I do to lose these last few lbs?

First of all, CONGRATS!!! That's AMAZING!!! You lost 1 lb and an inch in your belly! You're making PROGRESS!!! :bigsmile:

Second, you're making PROGRESS so why do you want to stop?! It's because you're not making progress as quickly as you want. :frown: I know that feeling. But half of the battle of losing weight is practicing something called PATIENCE. The only people who are successful in the end with weight loss are the ones who are PATIENT to keep going, keep working hard, until they get the results they want, doesn't matter how long it takes! And sometimes it takes A LONG TIME! (Take me for example, I've been at this for almost 3 years, and I'm still about 9 or so lbs from my goal. But if I would have quit in the first or second month, I wouldn't be almost 50 lbs down right now! I'd still be chunky and overweight!) Another thing to remember that applies to you (and to me right now as well), is that when you have only a little to lose, like 5 to 10 lbs, it comes off more slowly and stubbornly because you're already at a healthy weight. Which means you need even more patience.

So my advice to you? DON'T GIVE UP! Celebrate your victory (because it IS a victory) of losing 1 lb and one inch! Go out for a drink or something to celebrate! (But stay within your calorie limit lol!) And then keep going! It might take a while, it might even take a few months, but keep going! Because when you finally do lose that weight and get to where you want to be, you'll be SO GLAD that you didn't quit!

Good luck and keep up your awesome work! *hugs*

Also, this:
    If you're 127 and feeling fat (even though I'm sure you're not), perhaps what you actually want/need to do is build some lean body mass. Start lifting heavy weights, eat enough protein (and fat) to support that and don't beat yourself up when results take a while to come.
    This is very good advice as well! If you're NOT strength training, consider doing so! It'll completely transform your body!
  • wcj61
    wcj61 Posts: 13
    Options
    Look how much most of us eith have lost or are trying to lose. I'm trying to drop 40 pounds. Consider your self very lucky and stick with it. Believe me, you won't regret it.
  • quasilaur
    quasilaur Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Here's the deal. A pound of fat and a pound of muscle weigh the same. A pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat. That's the first thing to know, because if you're fit, and are exercising, you're in the very least maintaining muscles, if not building them. You will likely lose inches, but the scale might not show the "progress" you anticipated. Also, if your muscles ache, that means your muscles are healing themselves. When your body is healing itself, it has a tendency to retain more water than usual. That also adds, obviously, to a higher weight on the scale.

I have a blog that I've been following for many years of a woman who is VERY fit, cycling, weight lifting, etc, and wears a single digit size, very lean and muscular, and weighs 20 lbs above her BMI. If she wasn't fit, if she wasn't active, and if that weight was NOT muscle, she would not be the size she was, and she also stated, she wouldn't feel as good as she does.

My best advice to you, especially since you've got so little to lose, is focus on eating the nutrients that positively fuel your body and mind, exercise and enjoy the movements of your body, and if you're going to measure your progress, do so with a measuring tape, a hydrostatic body fat test, how many miles you can run, your blood pressure, how many squats you can do, etc, and not with a scale. I know a number is so much easier to conceptualize, but remember, you can be a totally unhealthy 125, or a very health 125 - you can be that weight and feel energized and strong, or lethargic and weak.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    SQUAT.

The answer to all things. :heart:
  • seanezekiel
    seanezekiel Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    You lost 20% of your goal and a FULL INCH?? Good luck to you if that is discouraging.
  • Shellsmiley
    Shellsmiley Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    First off let me say CONGRATULATIONS on losing 1 lbs and 1 inch on your stomach!! That is awesome!! :bigsmile:

I can't tell you NOT to be discouraged, all I can tell you is to find balance. You cannot give up things you love (chocolate etc) for a short time to lose weight if you don't want to continue your journey without them. YOU NEED to find balance. Example. I've lost 63 lbs together so far. I eat chocolate, brownies, cake, ice cream, chips, etc - ALL IN MODERATION. I eat out at restaurants. I track what I eat and drink no matter what it is. I'm still losing weight. In fact, last week I lost 4 lbs, this week I lost 1 lb. It varies every week.

I love chocolate and my sweets and I am not going to give them up because I know IF I DO (which I tried this before when I lost 115 lbs previously) I will gain all my weight back (which is exactly what happened). I was depriving myself of foods I love instead of moderating them and I paid a great price - gained almost all 115 lbs back. I would binge on foods I had deprived myself of for weeks and then feel awful for doing it. So it's a vicious circle of binge and guilt. I stopped that.

So to find balance and moderation is key. You've lost weight and inches, you shouldn't be discouraged. It can only get better if you allow it. The last 10 lbs are the hardest to lose, sometimes it takes months for people to lost just a few pounds, but as long as you are working toward your goal, then you will succeed!! :heart:

Good Luck On Your Journey!! Congratulations Once Again! :flowerforyou:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    You need to realize that having so little to lose means you have to lose it slower. Set MFP to half a pound per week. Eat back half of your exercise calories. Weigh your food using a food scale and log accurately. Look into a compound lifting program like Stronglifts 5x5. And be patient.

You're making great progress, don't give up so soon.

ETA: also I would recommend not cutting out everything you enjoy. I do an 80/20 approach. 80% of my diet is nutritious healthy food, and I leave myself 20% for treats.