Just joined

Options
Hi my name is Robbin. I just got the scare of my life to get me serious about losing this weight. I was diagnosed yesterday with type 2 diabetes. I have no clue where to start. I weight 218 lbs and my goal is to get to 130lbs. I need help and support. If anyone is willing to give me pointers, advice, I would greatly appreciate it. My doctor said to lose weight and exercise. Today, I have not eating much, I am afraid to even eat right now. I know that isn't healthy though. I am just at a loss as to what to eat. I need to get my blood sugar undercontrol and in lower numbers. Please anyone??? Help ! ! !

Replies

• RobbinByrd
    Options
    Is there no one out there that is willing to help me get started? Any advice would greatly be appreciated. Thanks in advance
  • Tarawitch2eyes
    Tarawitch2eyes Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm new to this site too, but not new to fitness. Picking up the diabetic diet book would be helpful for you to follow and take healthy recipes from. As someone that works in a hospital and sees so many diabetic patients changing their diets, it's amazing to see the change in them as they begin to feel better and lose weight. Don't be shy to add me:)
  • amberxy
    amberxy Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hi Robbin! I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis, but you have taken a great first step by joining MFP! This is a great community where you can share your triumphs, mistakes and get support.
    Firstly, invest in a food scale. There are cheap ones available online. Weighing your food is important, as people often underestimate portion sizes.
    Next, I'm sorry to say that eating too little will not help you. I have been through this; the phobia of food when you first get serious about weight loss. I felt guilty putting any food in my mouth. Therefore, it's important to work on developing a good relationship with food, and also understand how many calories you can eat. Have a search through the forums, there are many good links to help you calculate your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) - the number of calories you burn day to day, Remember that 1200 calories seems to be the 'go-to' amount for a female, but in most cases it is too little.
    Remember that the weight will not all drop off in a week, or a month, or maybe even 6 months. It took time to gain the weight, it will take time to lose it.
    At this point, it might be beneficial to log your food for a few days to see exactly how much you are eating, then you can tweak it.
    Best of luck and again, congratulations on taking that first step! xx

ETA: Check this link out - a long read but helpful for calculating your BMR/TDEE :)
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/931670-bmr-and-tdee-explained-for-those-needing-a-guide?hl=TDEE
  • eva512
    eva512 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I don't know much about diabetes, but I do know, if you use this site and stay in your calorie goals YOU WILL LOSE WEIGHT.

I joined here years ago and have lost lots of weight. Everytime I think I have things under control and stop logging, I put the weight back on. If you log your food, it forces you to make better decisions. Just started logging again about 16 days ago.:flowerforyou:
  • loriboren1
    Options
    Hi Robbin, I'm new too. The advice you've received so far is sound, and you've come to a good place, so take a deep breath and relax. You must eat; to avoid eating will not help. Just eat healthy, move every day and before you know it, you'll be feeling better, your blood sugars will come under control and the scared, panicky feeling of today will be a distant memory. Do the best you can every day, accept that most days won't be "perfect" and don't give up. We're here for you. Best regards, Lori
  • Dcharnice
    Dcharnice Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Hi Robbin!! While I do not have Diabetes, my mother does. And with the diagnosis, she started making small changes so that she would stick with them. Changes like going from whole fat dairy products to low/non-fat. Adding more fruit & veggies to her meals. Eliminating most sugary items. Lots & lots of water (she adds Crystal Light sometimes). Started with a 30 min walk for exercise. And getting plenty of rest. These small steps can make a big different since you are just starting. The thing is to not overwhelm yourself all at once and just start slow & simple. I KNOW YOU CAN DO IT!!! If you like add me. WE CAN ALL USE SUPPORT & MOTIVATION.
  • royvor
    royvor Posts: 271
    Options
    Hi, Sorry to hear about the news of the diagnosis. What I suggest to help you is to start with eating more whole foods, lots of vegtables, buy protein and it at every meal, like eggs, protein powder, chiken, tuna, salmon, tilapia, shrimp, boil or bake foods stay away from fried foods. If you eat lots of carbs that turn into glucose and spike insulin find an alternative bad carbs are white bread and pasta, and white rice this can all be substituted for whole grain pasta, whole wheat bread, and brown rice. I suggest looking up on youtube weight loss journeys of people who always post what they eat, and there is lots of free exercise videos, zumba, walk away the pounds. I really watch what I eat by measuring food so your portion control can get under control buy measuring cups/spoons. Start reading labels to see what calorie or serving you are allowed. Start with baby steps. You can make a change by switching one thing at a time. A friend request has been sent. Hope to help and support you on this journey.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Hi Robbin-- here's the simplest place to start. The best advice I can give you is don't complicate it.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/963088-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy
  • Gr8ChangesAhead
    Gr8ChangesAhead Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome to mfp, when I started mfp my Dr was considering insulin because my oral medications were just not controlling my sugars anymore. Educate yourself monitor your carbs that is where I was really bad. Herr I am a year later and only need oral medicatins if I am eating a seriously higfh carb meal and my HGBAIC is under diabetic levels. You are more than welcome to add Me as a friend.
  • Hi--I have Type 2 diabetes as well. I was fortunate enough to get a doctor who suggested about a year and a half ago that I see a nutritionist and gave me a referal to this woman who is not only a nutritionist, but a certified diabetes educator. Together we worked out a foodplan to help me lose weight and manage my diabetes. In February, after months of her encouragement I joined a gym and signed up for a personal trainer. My blood sugar currently runs a bit high, but I'm sure it will return to normal as I get consistent with my diet and exercise and oose weight.

Maybe this is not what will work for you. It has taken me several years to get to this point. To begin with I suggest limiting carbs to whole grains, fruits and vegetables. Eat plenty of protein--try to balance your protein and your carbs. Eat small meals frequently and always eat a carb like fruit with protein, like peanut butter or cheese. Don't focus on losing weight. Focus on eating healthy and controlling your blood sugar and the weight will probably start to come off.

Exercise: I hate it! or I used to. I'm starting to make friends with exercise as I work out (vigorously!) at my ability level, which is ground zero. I also am working a weekly "aquafit" class into my weekend routine. I go with a friend from work who belongs to the same gym I joined. I am also trying to do more walking, in addition to the moderate amount of walking I do in my job.

I hope this helps. Don't give up! if you want to friend me, feel free. Best wishes, Karen
  • nicoleashley_24
    nicoleashley_24 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I wish you the best on your journey. The best advice I have is to start small. If for instance this week, the only change you make is quitting soda, then great. Next week, make another change, like adding a green veggie to each one of your meals. Each week, all these changes will add up and you'll be truly making lifestyle changes, instead of "dieting". Exercise is one of the aspects you'll add into your new lifestyle and it too might take baby steps before it becomes a regular habit. Again, good luck!
  • MooreTK
    MooreTK Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Robbin, I don't know much about diabetes. but I would suggest you see a dietitian and they will help you with what to eat. I have been lucky not to get it as I weigh 296. I have set up fitness pal and have tried to stay under my calorie count and walk every day. I try and eat fruits and vegetables and not stay away from fast food. Hope that helps
    Tom
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I don't want to bombard you, but if you want info to read, here are some links. It's a lot of information, but I suggest really focusing on figuring out where your calorie goal needs to be and making sure you are meeting it.

For exercises, I'd really suggest weight training. I think a mix of cardio and strength is important, but in my opinion, strength training is something I wish I had focused on from the start. Including strength training helps prevent muscle mass loss. It's great to lose weight, but you want that loss to be body fat, not muscle.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/952996-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy

For more information about fitness and nutrition, I highly suggest checking out and joining this group: (Read all the stickies. It's great information to know.)
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/865230-resources-and-references

For info about your macros (proteins/fats/carbs) - check out this link. It will give you the formula to figure out your #s and also how to custom change them in MFP:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Robbin, I don't know much about diabetes. but I would suggest you see a dietitian and they will help you with what to eat. I have been lucky not to get it as I weigh 296. I have set up fitness pal and have tried to stay under my calorie count and walk every day. I try and eat fruits and vegetables and not stay away from fast food. Hope that helps
    Tom

If you can't find or afford a dietitian, there is one on MFP that created his own group and volunteers his time to answer questions when he can. He's registered in Texas. Here's the link to the group:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/13105-ask-the-dietitian
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Hi, Robbin. First DONT freak out. I was diagnosed with T2 in May of 2011. My sugar is under control and I should be off my meds completely sometime this year ( I take Metformin). I agree with talking to a dietitian if you are unsure about your food. My diary is public so feel free to check it out...you may get some ideas. There is a Type 2 Diabetes group here that will be happy to answer questions too. Just remember...diabetes cant be cured but it CAN be controlled. You can do it!
  • ptewasin
    ptewasin Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi Robin,
    I just got diagnosed the first of January with Type 2 diabetes. Take a deep breath and be glad, you can do this. it's do-able. My sugar went from 300+ to running consistently now at between 85- 120. First, start counting carbs. Of course you know refined sugar is out, but did you know that certain food turn into sugar the minute you put them in your mouth? These foods are starch, and they are, for example, corn, flour (breads and pasta), potatoes,and rice.
    The good news is, fat is your friend. Cheese, butter, and creams are good for you.
    Coffee lowers sugar, and if you like it with cream use heavy whipping cream, not non dairy creamers. Most thing you used to put on bread or crackers, you can put on celery or a pork rind.
    I am going to list here some of the staples of my diet:
    Coffee, Isopure Protein mix, Tuna Fish, Pork Rinds, Eggs, Cheese, Cucumbers, Celery, Salad Greens (spinach, collard, spring greens, arugula, loose leaf and romain lettuces) Blue cheese dressing is lower in carbs than ranch, but you can have ranch, just count the carbs.
    Don't think like, I can't have this or that, think like, it will be a treat- and treat yourself to some potatoes, or corn instead of them being a staple, see? And then monitor your sugar to see if you can have it. For example; the other day my grandson was here and he wanted taquitos, and I had 4 of them smothered in cheese. My sugar was through the roof for 3 days. Her's the thing , two days before I had banana cream pie, and it barely raised my sugar to 126 if memory serves, so I learned, i can have a piece of pie but not 4 taquitos, and that's okay, I'd rather have the pie :-). Check out my diary if you want to see how I eat, and I usually post a note about blood sugar.