Staying full longer?

Options
In your experience, what kinds of foods help you to feel full longer? Or at least not really hungry? I've read oatmeal is good, but what else? I'm trying to cut back on my urge to snack, and that's difficult when my stomach is screaming "eat!" at me a lot of the time.

Replies

• MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Dense proteins -- lean meats and eggs.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    High protein foods and high fiber foods. A large amount of raw veggies will fill you up.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I feel full longer if I balance my protein, carbs and fat every time I eat. I think it may be different for everyone. If I eat just oatmeal, I'm hungry in an hour. If I put some protein powder in it or eat an apple with peanut butter along with it, I'm satisfied for hours.
  • RedD4me
    RedD4me Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Protein helps me stay full longer. Oatmeal never works for me. Breakfast if I have egg beaters or egg whites on a breakfast sandwich it keeps me more satisfied the rest of the day. Adding veggies to bulk up meals works well for me. Filling snack I've found I like is sugar free lemon jello, add 1/2 cup frozen rasberries for 30 calories and fat free redi whip. Ham or turkey lunchmeat wrapped around pickles, popcorn, yogurt with fiber one cereal added for crunch are all snacks that work for me.
  • JohnAlfredE
    Options
    I like to snack on a raw carrot and ensure that the water supply is kept up.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Depends on what my body needs.
    If I'm low on something (vegetables, protein, etc.) I'll be hungry (or grazing) until I have some.
    See http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Robin_Bin/view/cravings-282817
    If I'm not low on anything in particular, fiber helps fill me better than most other foods, and the satiety from protein seems to last longest usually.
  • Ralph113
    Ralph113 Posts: 25
    Options
    When I feel like I want to eat I have two glasses of water and then see if I still want to eat. If I I am still hungry I am already getting my fill so it not as bad.
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Combine all carbohydrates with a protein. When I get 10 grams in a meal, I am full for an extra hour. If it's 20 grams, I don't feel a pinch of hunger before my next meal. Gulp down a large cup of water with a large meal and chances are you may split it into two mini meals!
  • IndigoFlowers
    IndigoFlowers Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    If I have a breakfast full of fiber and a fruit then I find that my tendency to binge or want to snack endlessly during the day is highly reduced. All-bran bars, all bran buds and surprisingly dried coconut contain a good amount of fiber.

Also at dinner I will make sure that I have a good portion of veggies alongside it, because then I am able to eat a LOT of veggies and get filled up on them but also enjoy a small portion of whatever else there is

If I think I am hungry but am not sure, I will eat some baby carrots then decide after if I was actually hungry or just wanted to crunch on something. Or I will drink some crystal light or water

Another tip I like is to eat slowly and savor the food.
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Banana + peanut butter is a great snack for me when I'm really snack-y.

Or an apple with cheese, or an apple with a dip I make (vanilla greek yogurt with PB and cinnamon).

Basically a carb with a protein is golden for me.

Also, I try to make sure I get protein with each meal so that my protein intake is spread throughout the day. I get fewer hunger spikes that way.

I also make sure I'm drinking sufficient water through the day just so I know that I'm not confusing thirst for hunger.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    Fat and / or protein keeps me full longer
  • SarahSmilesCA
    SarahSmilesCA Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    The key to controlling hunger and filling full is controlling blood sugar. That means watching the amount of carbs you eat in one sitting and balancing it with both fat and protein, which are the macro nutrients that give you a sated feeling. I eat a 3:2 ratio of protein to carbs and my goal is to eat less than 100 carbs a day, while keeping protein levels at 125 to 150 grams. Also, don't over look the importance of healthy fat in helping you fill full. I try to eat about 150 calories per meal in healthy fat. Coconut oil is really good for helping you stabilize your blood sugar.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    make sure you get enough healthy fats and protein. They may have a lot of calories, but they are worth it, because they keep you feeling full for longer - making it easier to stay within your calorie limit.
  • girlykate143
    girlykate143 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Protein with every meal. Try getting more protein than you think you need, whatever that means for you. I actually would not eat oatmeal, but that's me. I grew up with it, hated it, so I'm biased. I was always hungry an our after. Eventually, I just convinced my mom that I'd eat a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for breakfast and that was enough.
    Regardless... eat some good for you fats like olive oil, coconut oil in coffee (blend it), avocado, cottage cheese lowfat if you can tolerate milk products. Eat fish, chicken, beef, eggs. eat more of that and less of the starchy stuff to feel full longer. eat loads of veggies too.
  • RyanneRose
    RyanneRose Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    My calorie limit (without exercise) is currently a little over 1300 according to MFP. With exercise, that turns into 1700-2000 6 days a week if I eat back calories burned. I don't tend to burn until after 8pm though. Thanks for all the suggestions :) I'll be trying a lot of these!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    In your experience, what kinds of foods help you to feel full longer? Or at least not really hungry? I've read oatmeal is good, but what else? I'm trying to cut back on my urge to snack, and that's difficult when my stomach is screaming "eat!" at me a lot of the time.

Meat, olive oil, butter. sometimes two of them together.
    Meat and cheese.
    More meat.
  • muayqis
    muayqis Posts: 72
    Options
    Less sugar.
    I feel more hungry after eating simple carbs than I did before.

Dead animal. Veggies. Legumes. Casein. Eggs.
    Nom Nom Nom. Nom. Nom.
  • RJay64
    RJay64 Posts: 135
    Options
    - Slice of whole grain bread/toast with peanut butter and a little smear of jelly.
    - Banana with peanut butter.
    - Grapefruit
    - Avocado
    - Apples .. this one is my favorite. I cut two apples into eighths so I have 16 "apple smiles" (a kid snack term in our house) in a bowl. Having several pieces to eat over a longer period satisfies my desire to graze and gives a good lasting fill.

The benefits of a long-lasting fill are worth the higher calorie content.