Minimalist shoes for weight lifting

Options
So, I'm looking to start The New Rules for Lifting for Women, but want to find a minimalist shoe designed for the task. Suggestions?

Replies

• MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    Chucks are good ;)
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Chucks are good ;)
    i love squatting in my chucks. nice flat soles.
  • dynamitegalxo
    dynamitegalxo Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    the merrell pace glove is a fantastic shoe that works amazingly for lifting and it happens to double as a running shoe. i currently wear vibram five fingers to lift, and i'm doing stronglifts 5x5. hope that helps :)
  • KirstenTheFamilyCoach
    KirstenTheFamilyCoach Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I wear Vibrams and love it.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    <<<<<< I lift in my socks.

What is more stable under your feet than....the ground?
  • Justjamie0418
    Justjamie0418 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    Ive always heard Chucks were good, though my husband tried arguing with me saying there has to be better weightlifting shoes, because Chucks were originally made for basketball. UGH
  • GamerLady
    GamerLady Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I wear Vibrams and love it.
    I second the Vibrams, nothing beats them, imo.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    <<<<<< I lift in my socks.

What is more stable under your feet than....the ground?
    ^^this.
    I also lift barefoot.
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Vibrams all the way. The sporteks are nice and grippy. But I'm biased, I love them for running, and while still pretty new at lifting, haven't had a problem with them.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I like these shoes for the gym, they are minimal but very comfortable.

http://www.6pm.com/nike-free-tr-fit-2
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Vibrams all the way. The sporteks are nice and grippy. But I'm biased, I love them for running, and while still pretty new at lifting, haven't had a problem with them.

I heard these are causing people foot injuries?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    So, I'm looking to start The New Rules for Lifting for Women, but want to find a minimalist shoe designed for the task. Suggestions?

I lift (bro) in my five fingers. Nice, comfortable, minimalist, and you get amazing connection to the ground without other bs.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

I heard these are causing people foot injuries?

I heard people in Oregon are hunting sasquatch.
  • Bardane
    Bardane Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I like my vibram New Balance Minimus. My toes and the vibram 5 fingers have major disagreements :ohwell:
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I have the Merrell pace gloves. I am not such a fan of them for squats as I feel they can be a bit unstable through the heels. Not sure exactly why that is....I just don't find them ideal for squatting (for me). But for running and for general purpose use they're great.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    +1 for barefoot.

You can really get a "rooted" feel from squatting, or whatever, barefoot.

However, once my new arrival comes and my weights room becomes the nursery - I'll be re-locating my rack to my old man's garage! It's bloody freezing in there, so I'll probably invest in some All-Stars. So that's my vote if you've got to wear shoes for whatever reason.
  • jaysonhijinx
    jaysonhijinx Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I've recently bought a pair of adidas adipower weight lifting shoes. I used to use a pair of old runners or on heavier weight would lift in my socks but with the amount I'm lifting these days I've noticed my ankles and knees turn in a bit due to the arch in my soles. Since using these shoes I've noticed I'm a lot more stable and there's no buckling - plus they raise the heel up a bit so it makes it easier to really push through the heel on a heavy squat/deadlift.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Kung fu slippers (with hard soles, not that the cotton soles have much give)? Or cheap trainers as they usually have a plastic sole rather than a rubber sole. Cheap trainers also double up as minimalist running shoes because you'd be mad to land heel first in them. :bigsmile:
  • mudmonkeyonwheels
    mudmonkeyonwheels Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Kind of going to hijack this thread. I'm pretty new to lifting and currently only doing pretty low weights- improving steadily. I wear a very supportive shoe to help correct some knee issues when running and I'm currently lifting in that. How bad is it for me to do this?