Dessert blowout and eating under cals the next day?

Options
2»

Replies

• spramn
    spramn Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I personally don't believe in restricting calories the next day to make up for a day when your over. Me personally, i think its a situation of punishing yourself for satisfying a craving.

I believe cravings are good to be satisfied, and we feel them when we are short of something, and our body cry's out for physical or physiological nourishment. Getting caught up in mindsets of failure, or need to "fix" the situation of eating less because of the activity the day before, in my opinion is not ideal.

Diets are not destroyed by one days activity, its a long on going process.

I may be biased as i strongly believe in cheat days when your eating below your maintenance, but that's just my 2 cents =)
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    This is exactly what I'm doing today.
    I had a huge blow out last night - really huge.
    Today I had a whole rockmelon for lunch. No breakfast.
    I will probably have a Cesar salad for dinner when I go out tonight.
    I'm not really very hungry anyway today.

Be careful....some ceasar salads can have almost 1000 calories in them. The dressing is horribly high in calories
  • jadethief
    jadethief Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    If you didn't go over your maintenance calorie level, I wouldn't worry about it. If you did, either eat a little less over a few days or do some extra exercise.
  • Project_Jodie
    Options
    I personally don't believe in restricting calories the next day to make up for a day when your over. Me personally, i think its a situation of punishing yourself for satisfying a craving.

I believe cravings are good to be satisfied, and we feel them when we are short of something, and our body cry's out for physical or physiological nourishment. Getting caught up in mindsets of failure, or need to "fix" the situation of eating less because of the activity the day before, in my opinion is not ideal.

Diets are not destroyed by one days activity, its a long on going process.

I may be biased as i strongly believe in cheat days when your eating below your maintenance, but that's just my 2 cents =)

Well Said :) Makes me feel better :) Getting there!
  • Project_Jodie
    Options
    I'm glad I'm not the only one Schannn7 - so good at the time - regretted it a bit after!

Oh well back to it - hopefully some wise people will give us some good advice :)

I ate some pasta with an alfredo sauce I made for dinner as a side dish.. I didn't even think about checking the calories before I made/ate it... I had no idea how many calories cream had!!! Let's just say.. I went over by 1,000 calories! My dinner was a whopping 2,000 caloires alone! Would have only been 500 without that damn pasta I made! NEVER AGAIN! :angry: I think I am just going to start over today.... I don't think I can restrict 1,000 calories in a day! haha. I am going to start averaging out my calories over the week though.. starting today!

hahah oh dear! Oh well Lesson learned and moving on right!. That pasta is now in the past! :)
  • Project_Jodie
    Options
    I did the exact same thing today! Damn snickers milkshake.... :grumble:

I wouldn't restrict too harshly the very next day, at the most maybe just reduce your intake by 300 cals over the next few days. That way you don't feel like you're punishing yourself, but it all still evens out in the end.

Holy ****. What does a snickers milkshake taste like? :O

edit : i guess that's a bit of a silly question ;)

It was pretty much a big creamy frozen Snickersey org*sm in my mouth.

You asked, I answered. :happy:

hahhahahahahhah love it!
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    as long as you're not going way over cals every day where it will add up, i would just eat normal the next day and move on.
  • Project_Jodie
    Options
    This is exactly what I'm doing today.
    I had a huge blow out last night - really huge.
    Today I had a whole rockmelon for lunch. No breakfast.
    I will probably have a Cesar salad for dinner when I go out tonight.
    I'm not really very hungry anyway today.

Hmmm not sure this is the healthiest way to deal with a blow out, no breakfast and a whole rockmelon?? I have heard even though they're salads - Caesars are evil in terms of cals!
  • GettinMyLifeBck
    GettinMyLifeBck Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I don't like the word restrict,but I am doing the same thing today... I just look at it as a light day and eat healthy foods and it gets my mind back focused...
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I'm not the only one Schannn7 - so good at the time - regretted it a bit after!

Oh well back to it - hopefully some wise people will give us some good advice :)

I ate some pasta with an alfredo sauce I made for dinner as a side dish.. I didn't even think about checking the calories before I made/ate it... I had no idea how many calories cream had!!! Let's just say.. I went over by 1,000 calories! My dinner was a whopping 2,000 caloires alone! Would have only been 500 without that damn pasta I made! NEVER AGAIN! :angry: I think I am just going to start over today.... I don't think I can restrict 1,000 calories in a day! haha. I am going to start averaging out my calories over the week though.. starting today!

i made an alfredo sauce with light laughing cow cheese, skim milk and parm cheese. tasted very good, and over whole grain pasta not too damaging incase you ever want alfredo sauce again
  • Schann7
    Schann7 Posts: 218
    Options

i made an alfredo sauce with light laughing cow cheese, skim milk and parm cheese. tasted very good, and over whole grain pasta not too damaging incase you ever want alfredo sauce again

Thanks! sounds good :smile:
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I am in the exact same place. I'm cutting to about 1200 - 1300 for the next two days (with regular exercise) to eliminate the excess. Nothing too drastic, but I'm plotting six crazy healthy meals a day at 200 calories a piece to make this doable with the least hunger possible. Then it's back to 1400, 1500, and my good 'ol regular 1600 per day.
  • sugarkane1234
    sugarkane1234 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I just try to plan ahead for the weekends a little. I'll eat 1400-1500 calories during the week, which is about my TDEE-20% (at sedentary) and not eat back my exercise calories. The more I work out during the week, the more I can indulge on the weekend without the guilt of going over my weekly goal. Of course, if I'm hungry during the week, I'll eat, but I usually end up with some "extra room" by the time Friday night rolls around.
  • PrajnaFaux
    Options
    I've been trying to hit an average. On exercise days I tend to run at -200 cals or so. On non-exercise days I go over by about 200. So it evens out by the end of the week.

My husband and I are going out to lunch at a bbq place on Monday (we were given a gift card) and I've been debating this same issue though. There's no way I can eat anything there and stay within my calorie goals! So I'm just going to order what looks good, eat my regular meals for breakfast and dinner, and go back to my routine on Tuesday. I figure I didn't gain the weight by eating out once, so this one time won't set me back unless I let it become my regular way of eating again.
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Count me in as another vote for not restricting the next day. This shouldn't be an indulge/restrict cycle.. It introduces guilt, shame, etc. as the motivating factors. If I find cravings are getting a little out of hand, I give in within reason.

If anything the next day, I might try to choose healthier foods to remind myself that that is important to me - but I don't restrict further.

I might add a workout, though, if the overage was significant. Just makes me feel better. Perhaps that's no different than eating less to compensate, but it feels less damaging to my mindset to me somehow.
  • run_way
    run_way Posts: 220
    Options
    If you didn't go over your maintenance calorie level, I wouldn't worry about it. If you did, either eat a little less over a few days or do some extra exercise.

This is usually how I approach it as well - as long as I'm not over my maintenance calories, I don't carry it over to the next day. If it is over that limit, then I try to eat extra super clean and may e shave off some calories, but no more than ~300