Depo Provera- What are your side affects? HELP!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• AmyMgetsfit
    AmyMgetsfit Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I have never been on it, but my daughter was. After being on it about a year her dr did a bone density test and sure enough she was losing bone mass and they were seeing the beginnings of osteoperosis. She never got another shot. By going off of it, she did reverse the bone loss. She would never recommend it.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Don't recommend. Way too many side-effects. I gained 30lbs while on depo, and didn't have a period for a year. (Not really complaining there.) But also started seeing skin color changing darker in some spots and hair was growing out of my chin. I almost forgot, I also had absolutely no sex drive either. Thankfully these things went away once the shot wore off. Never got a second dose.

Just get an IUD if you don't want to have to worry about taking a pill every day. 5 years, no worries. First 2-3 months sucks but personally for me after the adjustment period it's been fine - no problems at all.
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    Been on it off and on over the years.. last shot was in Sept.. other than weight gain the beginning irregular bleeding no other side effects. I loved it and if it wasn't for my age I would still be on it.. I was told eat extra calcium foods because of its affects on the bone.
  • Kreider86
    Kreider86 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I have been on depo for about 2 yrs. Gained weight and lost weight on it.. was all due to my diet and lack of exercise. For me it works great, no bad side effects. I've been on MFP for 55 days and down 8 lbs. Seems like it is possible to lose weight while on the shot.. if it's not working for you though I would check with your doctor. Maybe give it another month and see if your weight has gone up more? I had problems with it messing up my period at first. My doctor gave me the next dose a week later than I was supposed to get it and somehow that cleared it all up? I would try talking to your doctor about some of your concerns. The bleeding for a long time seems pretty common. Good luck!
  • iammisscarlee
    iammisscarlee Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I was on Depo Provera for about 3 years, when I first started taking it I completely lost my period for the first year, and then got normal periods for the next year and then stopped periods again for six months and then had a CONSTANT period for the last six months. I also gained 25kg (55 pounds) in those three years that I took it.
    Last month I went to the doctor and she asked me about my history with birth control and I told her that I had Depo when I was fifteen until eighteen and she told me that it could have caused bone loss. I haven't done my research but I wish I was more informed when I was taking it because I absolutely was not told that.
  • mumtheshopper
    mumtheshopper Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I put on 3 stone on depo, I was also moody, depressed, and had no sex drive! No periods, but permament PMT!
  • iecreamheadaches
    iecreamheadaches Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I was on depo for 2 years, just recently got off it (the drug info says not to take it for more than 2 years, and I read some horror stories on the internet that probably arent true, but it was good enough for me). Your period will stop eventually, trust me. As for the weight gain, its going to happen. I lost almost 30 lbs over the course of the 3 month period (about a year into it) and when i got my nextnshot, I instantly gained almost 10 of those pounds back. Its just something that goes with birth control. I find that the weight gain on other birth control methods isnt half as bad. I just switched to the ortho evra patch, its my second month on it so far and Im doing great. I feel much better than i did on depo and the weight fluctuation doesnt seem to be a problem at all.
  • squiggyflop
    squiggyflop Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I had my period everyday for over a year. Oh yeah and I gained 50 pounds
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    Depo was a freaking nightmare for me!

I would bleed for 8 weeks straight, then get 3 weeks off, rinse and repeat!

I was VERY moody, almost paranoid... and the hot/cold flashes made me feel like I was in menopause.

I begged my doctor to make me normal again...haha.. I went on the pill and take it continuous so I only get a period 2x a year. Has worked well for me.

I know others on depo who do well. Everyone reacts to each hormone different.

ETA: I took depo in 2001, so I can't recall the weight gain either.. but I was a little overweight then so ya! lol
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I am currently on depo provera, and have been trying to do some more research on depo provera because even while eating better I have gained 5-7 pounds just in the past month I have been on it. It has caused me to have my "monthly" here all month. AND yes i know i can go talk to a doctor, however she has been busy, and I like to know I am not the only one with this issue, I am considering to not get another dose next month, but for those of you who have stuck through it did you manage with your weight or did it increase gradually? I know on occasion I have my cheat days, but I haven't even had a soda, no fast food, mainly drink water etc. I've been exercising about 3 times a week by swimming for 2 hours each time, so any advice, suggestions, or sharing would be appreciated!!! I've only been on this one other time a few years ago and NEVER had any of these issues... trying to figure out how t stop this from continuing.....HELP!!! :ohwell: :noway:

It's been quite a few years since I was on depo so I don't recall the weight gain, but I did have the full month of spotting. I was told that continuing to get the shot monthly would fix the spotting.

Did you figure your bmr, tdee, and tdee%? Are you weighing everything and tracking it?
  • BonnieandClyde29
    BonnieandClyde29 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    if you have a gynecologist, but you cannot speak to her that doesn't really count.

it is a decision to go on any medication and you should have a conversation, including any questions that you have with your doctor. if you are choosing to go on/switch medications without talking to your doctor then that is not a good idea. also not a good idea to substitute a frantic post on the internet for a conversation with a doctor.

i didn't think i would have to speak to her because i've been on it before,but now my body is reacting differently, "HENCE" why i am asking other people their side affects
  • BonnieandClyde29
    Options
    oh wow!!! i knew about the bne loss- i am alays making sure to take in extra calcium and vitamins!!! :)
    Hi there! I was on Depo Provera for about 3 years, when I first started taking it I completely lost my period for the first year, and then got normal periods for the next year and then stopped periods again for six months and then had a CONSTANT period for the last six months. I also gained 25kg (55 pounds) in those three years that I took it.
    Last month I went to the doctor and she asked me about my history with birth control and I told her that I had Depo when I was fifteen until eighteen and she told me that it could have caused bone loss. I haven't done my research but I wish I was more informed when I was taking it because I absolutely was not told that.
  • BonnieandClyde29
    Options
    wow!!! thats a long time!!! when i first tried it a few years ago, i spotted for like a month then nothing for 2 years, but this time around it's ridiculous!!! its been overa moth and mostly "heavy"- so i dont think im going to get anoher shot
    I had my period everyday for over a year. Oh yeah and I gained 50 pounds
  • oldy76
    oldy76 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I've been on it for a very long time. Yes... I gained a lot of weight while on it but it wasn't depo, it was just me jamming too much food into my face and not moving enough. I'm still on it now and have lost 84lb - I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. My doctor says that all the weight training I do should continue to counteract any bone loss and the bone density scan I got a few months ago seems to suggest all is well in that department. It really is different for everyone huh.