Ainsley Harriot Cous-Cous Sachets....

Options
........ i've recently taken a shine to these however i see they are high in carbs. I thought cous-cous was a good food choice. Am i eating the wrong stuff?

Replies

• orooney86
    Options
    I cant work out the calories in these! I bought a sachet and it says it is 100g of weight. On the back it says it has 140 or something like that calories per 100g. Yet the serving size is apparently 130g...and it says 2 servings per package. I am so confused! I think they may have put the wrong nutritional info on the back?? Sorry thats not really answering your question...
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    To the op -of course they're high in carbs. Couscous is a grain, like wheat, barley, pasta, rice, quinoa etc. carbs are not your enemy, and are not bad!!

To the second poster - 100g dry makes 2 serves of 130g each when prepared.
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Carbs are not the enemy.
  • sexymuffintop
    Options
    ........ i've recently taken a shine to these however i see they are high in carbs. I thought cous-cous was a good food choice. Am i eating the wrong stuff?

Whats wrong with carbs?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Couscous is pasta, which is a carb....what did you think it was.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Carbs are not the enemy. Over consuming calories, insufficient protein and a failure to follow a structured training program are the "enemies".
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Sorry to be pedantic but couscous is a grain not a pasta.
  • tiddlebit11
    tiddlebit11 Posts: 182
    Options
    I cant work out the calories in these! I bought a sachet and it says it is 100g of weight. On the back it says it has 140 or something like that calories per 100g. Yet the serving size is apparently 130g...and it says 2 servings per package. I am so confused! I think they may have put the wrong nutritional info on the back?? Sorry thats not really answering your question...

I think mayhaps the 120g is when it had been cooked,... and thus has absorbed water so is slightly heavier :)
    Go by the 'per serving' as it is the accurate one :) 'per 100g' just makes you think you are consuming less than you actually are :)
  • dragonfly_em
    dragonfly_em Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    couscous is made from millet, wheat or barley flour rolled into balls. it is not a grain in its own right, so it is similar to pasta really.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I quite like them, I see them as a grown up version of Pot Noodle ;)

Can't stand Harriot though.

Quite nice with salmon ... 2 serves per sachet , around 180 calories per serve ...

Carbs? Dunno, there is however many in there that is in there.
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    fgs, there's nothing wrong with eating carbs. carbs are where you get your energy from. you just want to make sure youre eating slow release carbs which are better for you
  • gainwait
    gainwait Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Sorry to be pedantic but couscous is a grain not a pasta.

http://www.cookthink.com/reference/395/What_exactly_is_couscous
  • sexymuffintop
    Options
    I quite like them, I see them as a grown up version of Pot Noodle ;)

Can't stand Harriot though.

Quite nice with salmon ... 2 serves per sachet , around 180 calories per serve ...

Carbs? Dunno, there is however many in there that is in there.

I quite like Ainsley, he reminds me of an over enthusiastic labrador.