Vitamin D and Weight Loss

Options
A couple of years ago I was an avid and regular outdoor runner. I lost 35lbs through diet and exercise in the period of about 6 months. Shortly after that, I hurt my knee and couldn't run anymore. It was winter, so I rarely went outdoors to do anything. I became an indoor pet with a pretty sedentary lifestyle. I quit smoking right around that time, too. They don't warn about the depression that follows smoking cessation. I began sleeping a lot and totally lacked motivation to do anything. The combination of this all caused obvious weight gain :(
Since last summer, I've been trying to get the weight off. Diet and exercise simply weren't working anymore. I would stick to it diligently for a month, but would get discouraged because despite my efforts I was continuing to gain weight. Try again for another month - still nothing - just another pound on. I was still lacking energy and motivation, but blamed it on my unsuccessful efforts and resulting depression.
Finally, I decided to check out one of those Weight Loss Clinics. I met with a Nurse Practitioner who suggested I have routine labs done as well as vitamin and hormone levels.
It turns out my Thyroid is pooping out. My Thyroid levels are totally out of whack. I know I have HypoThyroid and am taking medication, but obviously, it's not strong enough. She adjusted my Synthroid level accordingly. (the Thyroid is one of the endocrine glands that controls metabolism - ever hear an overweight person say "I have a gland problem" ?? - yeah - it's probably that one)
My FSH level indicates that I am now considered "post menopausal" which isn't helping either. She doesn't think I would benefit from hormone replacement therapy, but was able to introduce me to "Estrogen foods" that will stimulate production of Estrogen naturally.
Then - and this was TOTALLY new to me - my Vitamin D level is almost non-existent, as was my Vitamin B. She explained that they both go hand in hand and are directly related to weight gain/loss. Skeptical, I researched it as soon as I got home, and sure enough - TONS of research has been done to prove it! (Google it!)
I'm now getting weekly Vitamin B12 shots, taking an B complex (orally) as well as a prescription dose of Vitamin D - 50,000 units a week for 8 weeks (I asked if I could just take a Calcium +D supplement, and she pointed out that the over-the-counter tablets are only 100units - do the math...50,000/100 - yeah, the over-the-counter supplement isn't going to cut it)
I just started this new stuff yesterday, but am very excited to see if it helps. I KNEW something was up, cuz no matter what I was doing, the weight just wasn't coming off!
So, I will keep you posted, but in the meantime, if you're having a hard time despite your hard efforts - SEE YOUR DOCTOR AND HAVE YOUR LABS CHECKED! (Vitamin B, Vitamin D, TSH, T3, T4 (thyroid) and FSH (if you're peri-menopausal - might consider Estrogen and Progesterone levels, too).
Share your thoughts!!!!!!!!!! And best wishes for a healthy new you!

Replies

• patriot201
    patriot201 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I too have low Vitamin D levels, but the 50,000 IU/week I am taking now is causing me to GAIN huge amounts of weight (18 pounds in three weeks) instead of lose weight. This is a very unusual side-effect to the supplement (most people lose weight), but it is what has happened to me.

Within 48 hours of taking the supplement, I gain 5-8 pounds. Every week.

There is no other explanation for the rapid weight gain. My food intake is the same as it has been, my exercise is the same as it has been, and all my other levels are the same. The only change is the Vitamin D supplement.

I hope the supplement helps you! :)
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I too have low Vitamin D levels, but the 50,000 IU/week I am taking now is causing me to GAIN huge amounts of weight (18 pounds in three weeks) instead of lose weight. This is a very unusual side-effect to the supplement (most people lose weight), but it is what has happened to me.

Within 48 hours of taking the supplement, I gain 5-8 pounds. Every week.

There is no other explanation for the rapid weight gain. My food intake is the same as it has been, my exercise is the same as it has been, and all my other levels are the same. The only change is the Vitamin D supplement.

I hope the supplement helps you! :)

Have you talked to your doctor about this and is there any alternative to taking the supplement? Just curious.
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, I will get these checked out as well, I have been working out and eating right since last August, no weight loss what so ever, The thought occurred to me to get some tests done, but I will definitely look into it now

Hope you start seeing results

Goodluck
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    Step 1

Take a Vitamin D3 supplement which has at least 1,000 IU each day or 1 tbsp. cod liver oil each day. This will help you to lose weight by making sure your Vitamin D intake is adequate. If you do not eat enough of the foods that contain Vitamin D, a supplement or cod liver oil is essential

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/36677-lose-weight-vitamin-d/#ixzz2REW9gMfp
    Step 2

Drink two 8-oz. cups milk per day and you will get 50 percent of your daily recommended intake of Vitamin D. You do not need to drink whole milk to get your Vitamin D because reduced fat (2 percent), low fat (1 percent) and fat free milk all have the same amount of Vitamin D as whole milk. The lower fat versions have fewer calories and will make your weight loss easier.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/36677-lose-weight-vitamin-d/#ixzz2REWFTzkf

Step 3

Eggs are a great source of Vitamin D as well as protein that will help you feel full. For weight loss, try eating two hard boiled eggs for an afternoon snack or a vegetable omelet in the morning for breakfast.

Step 4

Fatty fish, such as salmon, herring and mackerel, naturally contain Vitamin D. Try to eat them with your dinner once or twice each week. You do not need to eat fish more than twice per week. Substituting beef with fish even once every week can have a significant impact on your weight over time.

Sponsored Links

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/36677-lose-weight-vitamin-d/#ixzz2REWNhN1d

Things You'll Need
    Vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol) supplements or cod liver oil
    Eggs
    Fatty fish such as salmon, mackerel and herring
    Milk

References
    ScienceDaily.com: Successful Weight Loss With Dieting Is Linked To Vitamin D Levels
    NLM.NIH.gov: Vitamin D

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/36677-lose-weight-vitamin-d/#ixzz2REWZzSS9
  • patriot201
    patriot201 Posts: 117 Member
    Options

Have you talked to your doctor about this and is there any alternative to taking the supplement? Just curious.

I've emailed two of my doctors. They aren't all that concerned and asked me to please take daily Vitamin D instead of the once-per-week dose to see if that helps.
  • MamaTop
    MamaTop Posts: 24
    Options
    A couple of years ago I was an avid and regular outdoor runner. I lost 35lbs through diet and exercise in the period of about 6 months. Shortly after that, I hurt my knee and couldn't run anymore. It was winter, so I rarely went outdoors to do anything. I became an indoor pet with a pretty sedentary lifestyle. I quit smoking right around that time, too. They don't warn about the depression that follows smoking cessation. I began sleeping a lot and totally lacked motivation to do anything. The combination of this all caused obvious weight gain :(
    Since last summer, I've been trying to get the weight off. Diet and exercise simply weren't working anymore. I would stick to it diligently for a month, but would get discouraged because despite my efforts I was continuing to gain weight. Try again for another month - still nothing - just another pound on. I was still lacking energy and motivation, but blamed it on my unsuccessful efforts and resulting depression.
    Finally, I decided to check out one of those Weight Loss Clinics. I met with a Nurse Practitioner who suggested I have routine labs done as well as vitamin and hormone levels.
    It turns out my Thyroid is pooping out. My Thyroid levels are totally out of whack. I know I have HypoThyroid and am taking medication, but obviously, it's not strong enough. She adjusted my Synthroid level accordingly. (the Thyroid is one of the endocrine glands that controls metabolism - ever hear an overweight person say "I have a gland problem" ?? - yeah - it's probably that one)
    My FSH level indicates that I am now considered "post menopausal" which isn't helping either. She doesn't think I would benefit from hormone replacement therapy, but was able to introduce me to "Estrogen foods" that will stimulate production of Estrogen naturally.
    Then - and this was TOTALLY new to me - my Vitamin D level is almost non-existent, as was my Vitamin B. She explained that they both go hand in hand and are directly related to weight gain/loss. Skeptical, I researched it as soon as I got home, and sure enough - TONS of research has been done to prove it! (Google it!)
    I'm now getting weekly Vitamin B12 shots, taking an B complex (orally) as well as a prescription dose of Vitamin D - 50,000 units a week for 8 weeks (I asked if I could just take a Calcium +D supplement, and she pointed out that the over-the-counter tablets are only 100units - do the math...50,000/100 - yeah, the over-the-counter supplement isn't going to cut it)
    I just started this new stuff yesterday, but am very excited to see if it helps. I KNEW something was up, cuz no matter what I was doing, the weight just wasn't coming off!
    So, I will keep you posted, but in the meantime, if you're having a hard time despite your hard efforts - SEE YOUR DOCTOR AND HAVE YOUR LABS CHECKED! (Vitamin B, Vitamin D, TSH, T3, T4 (thyroid) and FSH (if you're peri-menopausal - might consider Estrogen and Progesterone levels, too).

I found the same results in my lab tests! (well .. minus menopause!)

I too am taking a mega dose of Vit D once a week and weekly B12 injections! It does not help that I hate milk and live in Buffalo (where we have no sunshine for 6 months)

I am dropping more weight now .. and my energy levels are up!
  • VastBreak
    VastBreak Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Are you my long lost twin??
    I was very in shape about 7 years ago. Then life happened and we moved to another state. I got out of my normal exercise routine and gained 15-20lbs. Then after about 2 years I got things settled and started back into a fitness routine. Then bam, I was a little too aggressive and tried to up my mileage too quickly and partially ruptured my Achilles! Super pain and I was sidelined for quite awhile with his injury. Around this time I also got pregnant and added on another 15lbs!
    Long story here, sorry!
    Now I have been back on track for about 7 months. Making healthy choices and fitting exercise back into the schedule! The scale is NOT budging! Started working with a nutritionist and upped my calories because each time I started gaining I would reduce calories to offset the damage! Then i Started to see another doctor that started running blood levels and a lot of my numbers are wonky! My Vitamin D is super low as well and my Doctor thinks my other levels are mainly being effected because lack of vitamin D blocks a lot of other absorbtion! My thyroid numbers are off and my sugar levels are off and a few others. I go back the end of this month to get re-evaluated to see what the next to is!

I'm going to send you a friend request, maybe we can compare and help each other as we go!
  • danapenguin
    danapenguin Posts: 161
    Options
    i have always had a problem with my weight. when i was young i couldn't gain weight and then when i got to high school i hit 130 pounds. i have been trying to loose weight since then and have got down to 123lbs right now. however, a few months ago i being to get really tired and couldn't pay attention in class. so i went to the doctor and she checked my labs and my vitamin d was low as well. she gave me supplements to take 3x a week. I have taken them for a month and so far I havent seen any change in my weight, but i have read in places that vitamin d can help you loose weight! i wonder how long it takes to see effects??
  • KarenJ15
    KarenJ15 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    You can also get Vitamin D by spending some time outside in the sun. It doesn't have to be long. It will also make you feel better to be outside. :)
  • mrslehan2013
    Options
    Glad to see someone else with Vitamin D problems!! I am on 150,000 of Vitamin D and taking Vitamin B supplements weekly as well!
  • cazzer69
    cazzer69 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    You can also get Vitamin D by spending some time outside in the sun. It doesn't have to be long. It will also make you feel better to be outside. :)

That makes the assumption that going outside involved their being some sun.

My wife, who is half Japanese (i.e. not pure white skin, and that's not racism, that's a critique of us English) moved to England 20 years ago.
    She was diagnosed with Vitamin D deficiency. Apparently her skin is designed to absorb Vitamin D from a tropical climate. Up is drizzly, cloudy North West England their just isn't enough. There is plenty for us dazzlingly white Brits to get our vitamin d fix. But not for darker skinned people.

She had the high dose course for 4 weeks and now takes a daily suppliment.
    The effect of this is she has lost 28lb without changing her diet or excercise routine at all.
  • uwdawg07
    uwdawg07 Posts: 372
    Options
    I've lost a ton of weight, all while being very Vitamin D deficient. I was just prescribed 50k iu weekly....let's see what happens! Hopefully I won't gain weight like that other poster!
  • Eatkansasbeef
    Eatkansasbeef Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'm on vitamin D prescription -50,000 units and thyroid meds, have been for quite sometime. I had a hysterectomy 8 years ago so I'm on hormone therapy as well. Long story short, had trouble losing weight in fact it was pretty nonexistent. Funny thing, I started MFP and in 60 days I've lost 10 lbs. I eat a tad above my BMR and I eat back most of my exercise calories. I'm sure everyone is different but going on vitamin D didn't help or hinder me from losing weight. My calorie intake has though.
  • rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I have been thinking of adding a vit D supplement daily, so glad I read this posting. It seems like the last few months I have no motivation. did some research and came up with vit d....
    Talking with my mother in law, I found out she has been on a high dose for many years. due to her lab work results.

I don't think I will see a doctor on this, just start adding the vit. and see if it helps.
    Can anybody say how long before you noticed it working?
  • ashleybr1980
    ashleybr1980 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    bump
  • smcs1222
    smcs1222 Posts: 5 Member
    Options

For routine maintence, the sun helps, yes. If you're depleted, the sun alone won't get you caught up - either will OTC supplements.
  • zepfan69
    Options
    If you're still interested in including vitamin D on MFP, please visit and sign the petition on Change.org: https://www.change.org/petitions/myfitnesspal-allow-myfitnesspal-users-to-track-custom-categories-such-as-the-important-vitamin-d
  • mkmmcbriarty
    Options
    I just started taking 5000 IUD of Vitamin D3 a day. Along with Diet and exercise, how long before I can see any results?
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I always feel better when I'm getting lots of D
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Vitamin D is such a common deficiency that I'm actually surprised when one comes back normal, unless the patient is on a supplement. I take 2,000 a day because I was deficient. I think the RDA is changing their recommendations but 2,000 mg seems to be the least that I can have patients take for maintenance. It could also be taken as 50,000 a month or 10,000 a week with similar results.
    I noticed a mild depression lifted when I started the supplement and this is very common.