Arthritis difficult to workout!

Options
:yawn: I am fed up as its difficult to do a workout as bones are getting old!

Replies

• Crawflowr
    Crawflowr Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Try Swimming
  • Bulgyme
    Bulgyme Posts: 4
    Options
    I am too embarrassed, but thanks, I just need some confidence.
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Take a look at tai chi the gentle movement helps mobilize the joints without impact and will hlep with balance too. Plenty of youtube videos out there. Just work on one motion set at a time. Some ot the sequences can be done seated if you have trouble standing.
  • rasmusen
    rasmusen Posts: 1
    Options
    Swim is great and there are all shapes and sizes at the pool I attend and all ages and persons with major disabilities, they amaze me. Try it you'll see
  • AJinBirmingham
    Options
    Your insurance might cover physical therapy!

A good physcial therapist can help you design workouts, probably including a lot of "static resistance" exercises, that you can do without the pain.
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    a recumbent bicycle is easy on the joints. You also can use stretchy bands for resistance training.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Swimming as suggested probably the best.

I suffer from rheumatoid arthritis, so all my joints are stiff and very swollen every morning with pain 24/7.

Four months ago, I couldn't run 1/2 mile. I run at least 5k every morning now, ran two 1/2 marathons on back to back days a couple weeks ago, and yesterday ran 16 miles before four hours of baseball practice. You can find something that will work for you, just be patient and take it slow. Let your body dictate on what you can and cannot do.

Good luck!
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    You need to find the right thing for you, exercise will help your joints but you need to find something low impact. My 10 year has had bad arthritis in her hips and legs since she was 2 but she enjoys dancing and it helps keep her supple.

Good luck finding what works for you.
  • amcshaw
    amcshaw Posts: 13
    Options
    Try just going for a walk. That's not too bad for your joints.
  • Bulgyme
    Bulgyme Posts: 4
    Options
    Thanks what a great suggestion, bless you :-)
  • Leslietheriot
    Leslietheriot Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Swimming as suggested probably the best.

I suffer from rheumatoid arthritis, so all my joints are stiff and very swollen every morning with pain 24/7.

Four months ago, I couldn't run 1/2 mile. I run at least 5k every morning now, ran two 1/2 marathons on back to back days a couple weeks ago, and yesterday ran 16 miles before four hours of baseball practice. You can find something that will work for you, just be patient and take it slow. Let your body dictate on what you can and cannot do.

Good luck!
    ^This. I also suffer from arthritis and I have to keep moving. A few years ago I could hardly get up off the couch or out of bed without assistance. Now I am planning my first 5k for the end of this year! You have to listen to your body and do what you can.
  • observatoer
    Options
    Same here, pain 24/7. I just try to overcome it with diclofenac to lower the pain. Then i go walking and biking. Life hurts and so do my bones.
    --Just dont give up--
  • Imadarkswan
    Imadarkswan Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I have arthritis myself. I am in pain every day. The funny thing is, the more I exercise the less the pain I have.
    Kind of a conundrum tho. It hurts to workout, but you gotta workout to lessen the pain.

Keep at it! It will get better
  • mikkimomof3
    mikkimomof3 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I have psoriatic arthritis and suffer greatly at times. I have not read all of the responses, but incase it hasn't been mentioned, I have found a direct link between my sugar intake and my inflammation (which makes sense but I've just recently figured it out). I would definitely recommend upping the water, significantly limiting sugar, and non-impact exercises (swimming, stationary bike, elliptical)...good luck and stay positive!
  • mikkimomof3
    mikkimomof3 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I have arthritis myself. I am in pain every day. The funny thing is, the more I exercise the less the pain I have.
    Kind of a conundrum tho. It hurts to workout, but you gotta workout to lessen the pain.

Yes!!! So very true!
  • Crosbinium
    Crosbinium Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I do well with Pilates since most of my issues are with arthritis in my knees. The more I moved the easier I found it to be and have also been walking.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I am too embarrassed, but thanks, I just need some confidence.

You really don't need to be. The pool exercise group that I go to is comprised of a lot of older women who DO NOT have anything close to great bodies. There are a few men but they are old and saggy even if they are not fat. LOL Really, no one but you cares about what you look like. The most important thing to focus on is getting healthier. I have dropped 20 pounds since I started going to the pool and I look and feel WAAAAY better. My arthritis has improved to a level that I can now walk and live normally. Do you take any supplements? I don't take ANY pharmaceuticals for my arthritis--find NSAIDs to be counter-productive as they apparently accelerate the damage to joints, according to researchers. But I do take a Glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM combination product. I take turmeric (a spice) and bromelain (an extract from the pineapple plant) as well. I added egg shell membrane about two months ago (new on the market) and am thinking about dropping the glucosamine/chondroitin as the egg shell membrane has been amazing in helping to heal an ACL tear in my knee that I acquired last spring. ACL tears usually take a couple of years to heal. I noticed a rapid improvement in my knee after I started the egg shell membrane. But the pool exercise has probably been the greatest benefit of anything I have done. There's a lady who comes to the class (it is especially designed for people with joint issues) who is in her late 70s. She started at the pool a number of years ago, when her doctor told her that she had severe osteoarthritis and that she was probably looking at replacing both knees and maybe one or both hips eventually. She still has all her own joints and gets around amazingly well for someone with "severe osteoarthritis". She uses a cane occasionally but otherwise seems just fine and loves being in the pool. I hope you try it--I think you'll like it. Good luck!
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options

QFT. If you can fight through it for the first few workouts, the pain DOES lessen, both during the workout and after.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I have psoriatic arthritis and suffer greatly at times. I have not read all of the responses, but incase it hasn't been mentioned, I have found a direct link between my sugar intake and my inflammation (which makes sense but I've just recently figured it out). I would definitely recommend upping the water, significantly limiting sugar, and non-impact exercises (swimming, stationary bike, elliptical)...good luck and stay positive!

I would agree with this as well. I'm a low-carber anyway so I don't eat sugar. But sugar is a pro-inflammatory as is gluten. I am also gluten-free. Some people need to be free of cow's milk and/or the nightshade plants (potatoes, peppers, etc.) as well but they don't seem to be a problem for me.
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    Options
    I have severe hip arthritis in my right hip but I can still use the elliptical and get a great workout. I'd be lost and depressed without the elliptical. I can do some limited walking too and that really helps. Exercise is essential to manage arthritis pain in IMHO.