could use some cheering up

Options
I'm back after not logging in for a week and have missed MFP! Went to see dr about a week ago for pain in my arms and found I have cubital tunnel syndrome and have nerve damage in both arms. This past week did not log in or do any computer work, piano practice...started physical therapy but looks like it's going to take a long time and might need surgery. I'm really down in the dumps about this because I need my arms (don't we all) to teach piano and voice lessons, to practice...this is my life. And in this one week i've gained some weight and need to get back on track. my husband is going to help me log in because computer use is limited. i could use some cheering up. sorry to whine. xo

Replies

• Jovialation
    Jovialation Posts: 7,632 Member
    Options
    I broke my hand when I was 15 by punching a wall of all the dumb things. I didnt go to a doc and I used an ace bandage thinking itd help. Finally went to a doc and my tiny breaks had all already healed wrong. At the time I wanted to do as much as I could with art, and now Ive got arthritis in my hand and cant hold a pen for more than a few mins.
    Believe me, I know where youre coming from. I probably have carpal tunnel or something too as my wrists are often swollen and crack like crazy.

You just gotta keep pushing. Itll be fine. Show the world youre more determined to go on than it is to bring you down. You'll always win that battle.
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Frustration is what I hear from your writing. I am sorry about what you are going through. In my mind it is easier to set a time limit on things. So I can get a mind-set that I can cope with. Something like: I am going to give myself three months to heal the best I can. During this time I will learn to meditate on things I am grateful for. (a supportive husband) I will enjoy nature, take time to talk to my friends, but more importantly I will really listen......
    You do need grieve for your new situation, but with determination, a plan and a positive attitude, some day you will look back on this time and say. "wow, what strength of character I showed" (others will notice too)
    Thought you should know some one is thinking about you and praying that you peace in your healing process.
    Shelley
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    I'm back after not logging in for a week and have missed MFP! Went to see dr about a week ago for pain in my arms and found I have cubital tunnel syndrome and have nerve damage in both arms. This past week did not log in or do any computer work, piano practice...started physical therapy but looks like it's going to take a long time and might need surgery. I'm really down in the dumps about this because I need my arms (don't we all) to teach piano and voice lessons, to practice...this is my life. And in this one week i've gained some weight and need to get back on track. my husband is going to help me log in because computer use is limited. i could use some cheering up. sorry to whine. xo

Ask your MD about the B vitamins and what doses to take...they are excellent for the nervous system
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Im an accountant by trade so use keyboards for over 8 hours per day. I've had carpal tunnel for a number of years now, and some days are better/worse than others for sure. I've had to alter how I do things . . . pushups are out . . . and I've altered my work chair, and purchase the true ergonomic keyboards. Little changes do help. My doctor suggested that I take a complex B vitamin daily as that has helped some. I actually found that after a few weeks of taking these that my symptoms were less, as was the pain. My husband has "tennis elbow" from repetative movements at work and the complex B vitamin has helped that also.

Yes, you will have to alter or leave out certain activities . . . but life is a constant challeng . . . we just go from one issue to the next one and how we handle it is what counts . . . not what actually occurs.

Good luck to you!
  • jessudd
    jessudd Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I teach music lessons (voice and piano) as well, so I understand what a devastating feeling a physical injury like that could be!! Today I was actually reading articles about piano teacher who have repetitive strain injuries--it is possible to adapt your teaching style to continue!! Take care of yourself first, but be thinking of ways you can lessen your own playing time in lessons. I'm sure you've talked about it with your doctor, but I think it's possible to teach (or at least "coach") even with an injury, though you may not be able to perform/practice as much yourself. Good luck with your physical therapy and I hope you can find a way to enjoy and teach music even with your injury!!

Even if it's not what you expected, you CAN overcome this obstacle, so don't let it get you down!! Best wishes!!
  • kitnkabdl
    kitnkabdl Posts: 5
    Options
    I am reading a book (well book on cd) that could be very helpful in this situation.. Change your Focus...Concentrate only on the things you CAN do!
  • cakenedith2
    cakenedith2 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement! I'm feeling better and trying to focus on the things I can control! I can sing and control what I put in my mouth! Started the B12 vitamins and got a little relief. You guys are the best!!
  • Skinnytime
    Skinnytime Posts: 279
    Options
    Oh goodness. I am sorry. When you go for PT, see of the therapist has ideas about how you can adapt your teaching. Can you use a chair with arm rests for the piano? My teacher did that when she had an injury. Would that help?

As far as the computer, there are many speech recognition programs that you can use. They are a pain to train, but once you do,it cuts down on the typing.

Keep a good attitude.
  • cakenedith2
    cakenedith2 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    ooh! speech recognition programs for computer? i never thought of that!! i will look into that today!

i'm really doing well and staying optimistic! i'm sitting higher when I teach and play (so i'm not bending my elbows) and sleeping with my arms to my side (bending the elbow is pinching the nerve). i'm really uncomfortable when i drive. but little by little i'm getting better. thank you everyone for your support!!
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    A well fitting support will help too (snug, but not constricting). When mine flares up I use wrist/elbow (which ever is bothering me) supports to keep me from bending much during sleep. Nothing worse than waking up and trying to shut off the alarm when you can't feel your hands! When it was really bad during the normal workday I would wear a bowlers glove... available in many colors and just enough to remind me to keep the wrist and thumb in a better position. I refused to have the surgery because it seems like everyone I talked to that had it ended up having it again and again. It's nearly 30 years now, I just had to learn to do things a little differently. I have heard that some have had results from Chiropractic care where the doc specialized in sports injures. I wish you the best what ever way you choose treatment!