Runners: Please Help!

Options
I'm fairly new to running I'll be honest... Up until about 4 months ago I was struggling with walking so for me now to be able to run is a miracle all by itself, but I won't go into that here.

I put myself in for a 10k race about 6 weeks ago, and a month ago I managed to get up to 10k distance, in a pretty good time too (1 hr 11 mins- which for me personally is something I'm really proud of!) but since doing that twice I am no completely unable to get past 6 - 8k, no matter how hard I try. Am I psyching myself out because the race is a week tomorrow? Or is there some mystical trick that I'm missing.

I do admit that I looked at last years race times and realised that last years slowest woman was 1 hr 7 mins so I know I'm nowhere near going to win (and trust me I am NOT aiming to win this thing), I thought that just the achievement of finishing would be enough for me, but could it be that because subconsciously I don't want to finish last I'm actually making it impossible to finish at all?

Please help me, I don't know any other runners so I'm really hoping someone can help me and tell me I'm not crazy!

Replies

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    If you've done it before you can do it again. Between now and the race don't push yourself hard. If you can run 3 or 4 miles easy then do that and let your body rest. You will do fine in the race and I expect you will finish faster than 71 min without any problem.
  • lollypop114
    Options
    Thank you for that, I really hope you're right. Someone did say to me that adrenaline on the day from the race atmosphere should help also!
  • cpudoc64
    cpudoc64 Posts: 135
    Options
    You'd be surprised at just how mental running is. When I trained for my 1st 5k in years, I couldn't complete the training runs at all. Yet, when I got to the race, adrenaline took over and I completed the race without stopping once. Keep training and don't worry about it. You'll do fine! Your doctor says it is ok for you to do this, yes?
  • lollypop114
    Options
    My Doctors put me on a gym fitness training regime for three months and I finished that a month ago with the all clear. My health/joints are the best they have ever been so I am confident that my body can meet the physical demands. I agree with you about the mental things though, I think I must just be blocking because it's all very real now... and I've never raced before!
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Your race adrenalin will help, of course - in fact, you will probably be amazed by it.

But, remember, that the only person you are racing is yourself. If you have to walk, then walk (I did on my first race). Since this is your first, this is your baseline...so just go and have fun!!
  • Spikethered
    Spikethered Posts: 108
    Options
    Don't think too much about the distance or time , just run and before you know you'll be over half way....running is mental . If I think about the distance I sometimes feel un motivated...
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I've never raced before!
    You'll be pumped up at the start of the race. Be careful not to start out too fast. Run a challenging pace you think you can maintain. When you get about half a mile from the finish give it everything you have left. If you finish feeling like you couldn't take another step then you ran your best race for that day.
  • sarahevenstar
    sarahevenstar Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I think you're going to be surprised what you can do come race day! I ran my first 10k yesterday and quickly found a little pack of people that were running a comfortable pace for me and just followed them and tuned everything else out and I finished 10 minutes faster than I had anticipated!

Don't psyche yourself out! You've done the work, you can do this! Good luck and have fun!
  • lollypop114
    Options
    Thank you all so so much for your encouragement, You guys have really helped me to feel like I can do it! I'll definitely let you know that I've finished and my time :)

Any advice for last minute preparations etc?
  • anna_louise90
    anna_louise90 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Are you running on a treadmill or outside? If you're on a treadmill go outside, if already outside try changing your running route?
  • bobf279
    bobf279 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    just do gentle training runs leading up to race day no more than 5 or 6k and not at race pace, it'll be fine on the day enjoy the experience.
  • lollypop114
    Options
    I'm actually running the exact route of the race, it's right by my home and is two laps of my favourite route by the water. But I know it KM for KM, so the whole time I'm thinking "this is a quarter of the way round".

Maybe I should try running somewhere else for the week and then come back to it fresh for next monday?
  • Amberlynnek
    Amberlynnek Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Look up tempo running (also known as Fartlek), Hal Higdon has a really good site. This will help to icrementally up your paces and is a really good trick. It helped me push my marathon paces with very little work. Good luck and welcome to the grind!
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Don't worry too much about time. Runners are fab, a truly lovely, supportive community, in my experience, and having had the experience of coming last, I can assure you it's nowhere near as bad as you might build it up in your mind to be. If anything, it made me feel quite special as the club runners were just lovely about it - not patronising, just nice and supportive.

As others have said, if you've done the distance already you *can* do it. It sounds to me like your head is getting in the way of your legs. Just trust the process. You can get to 10k. You've done it before, you'll do it again.

And the adrenaline on race day will help you. That said, don't let the adrenaline carry you away. As a slow runner, I've found it's a real temptation to go out hard and then lose pace midway - you really want to avoid that, if your aim is to get all the way round the course.
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    If the slowest woman finished in 67 minutes then it must be a small race. Plenty of folks finish far slower in 10k races. So, even if you are last, it really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.

Focus on having a good time.

Since race day is so close, don't worry about running the 10k distance. Focus on short, easy, ego-boosting distances :wink:
  • bluelena
    bluelena Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Maybe I should try running somewhere else for the week and then come back to it fresh for next monday?

I change up my regular neighborhood route as soon as I start to "know" where I am, distance-wise. It's as simple as running the route backwards, or heading down a different street. I do so much better when I'm not constantly thinking about the numbers. It makes the run more enjoyable for me. I can get into a comfortable pace, enjoy my music, and I'm done before I know it.
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I'd imagine its a mental thing, my inner voice used to tell me " why don't you just walk? you like walking?" I have to do a lot of self talk telling myself that its easy and I 've got the strength to do it. I also follow a lot of motivational types on twitter and think of some of those I like the nike saying- Just do it- then take a deep breath and do it again.
    And maybe get a running partner, my other half runs with me and wouldn't let me quit.
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    You should really take it easy this week. Eat as healthy as you can, lots of water. You're not going to gain much performance in such a short time and you've done the distance multiple times before so you know it's in you. I always find that after my rest week I can crank out miles no problem. I'm sure your distances lately are part mental and part your body telling you it needs some rest time to recover. Give it that and do great in the race!
  • holliwood97
    holliwood97 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I did my first 5k yesterday. I was like you, couldnt even do a full minute on the treadmill three months ago... AND I also found the course before the run and practiced it... and there were days i struggled so much that i was thinkng 'OMG what have i signed up for"... BUT yesterday was the race... the routes seems completely different when covered in Crowds of runners.... The crowd made me forget about the route and its TOTALLY different.... I beat my time by alot. I Got lots of Sleep (helped so so much) for the couple days before. and it was amazing. !!! Youre going to be surprised how different it is on Race day.... I wouldnt do the route again until the race... I would go somewhere else. :) Good Luck!!!!
  • Sycoholic
    Sycoholic Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Rest and go lighter on the training as the race nears. I wouldn't run more than 4 miles that week and make sure you have about 3 days off before the race. Eat carbs such as pasta the night before. I would suggest you bring a small bottle of water and some jelly beans, chews, or gu packets with you. Anything past 45 minutes and you'll want some extra sugar and water for energy. This may be all you're missing. More experienced runners will most likely opt to not have water and glucose sources but you may need that extra boost. When you start to feel like you're getting whooped eat the sugary goodness and wash it down with a little water (don't forget the water). It'll kick in about 5-10 minutes later and prevent you from bonking out. Most importantly, don't run anybody else's pace. Run the pace you feel comfortable with. They'll start off fast and fall into a tempo.... It's a race for them but an accomplishment for you. You have different goals and need to adhere to a different set of rules to attain them.