Super Healthy Salad Dressing.. wha?

stephernoodle
stephernoodle Posts: 8
edited September 21 in Food and Nutrition
It's true. I'm the biggest fan of salads, but by the time I'm done flooding my salad with the dressing it's no longer a healthy meal. When I was at the grocery store today I found a salad dressing that is CALORIE FREE, SUGAR FREE, FAT FREE, GLUTEN FREE, CARBOHYDRATE FREE and CHOLESTEROL FREE! I seriously almost pee'd on myself in excitement lol. It's called Walden Farms.. they have Balsamic Vinaigrette, Honey Mustard, Ranch, Caesar and prob some other one's that I can't remember. If you're a big salad fan and a bigger salad dressing fan, you should check it out.

Replies

• antiadipose
    antiadipose Posts: 447
    what in the world is this made out of?
  • They apparently sell more than just salad dressing. I'm pretty excited lol.

http://www.waldenfarms.com/
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    A great find! Guess I will check to see where they sell these products in my area! Thanks for sharing.
  • I used that salad dressing because I have celiacs and can have no gluten. I started to develop the same symptoms as MS. I looked into the sweetener and lo and behold some people developed the same symptoms when using this. I stopped using it and symptoms eventually cleared. I now go all natural all the time ... no short cuts and no things that sound too good to be true. Maybe it was just me but I say use caution.
    One of the symptoms I had included losing vision in one eye for a day.
  • mooz
    mooz Posts: 101
    I've tried several of their products and hated each one. They have a horrible taste IMO. I'd rather make my own dressing.

They claim it's free of everything but if you write to them they will tell you that it's a proprietary blend that they use [chemicals] and they can label things "fat free/calorie free" if it's under a certain amount [grams by volume]. So basically they're BSing the consumer.

Good luck eating it. I threw out so many bottles. I'll never spend money on their products again.
  • susiewusie
    susiewusie Posts: 432 Member
    I tend to stick to Heinz light salad cream ,never seem to find a nice dressing ,so if anyone has any recipes for me to try would be great thanks :)
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    I would still go easy on this stuff, not all natural and high in sodium. It's nice to have it as an occasional option. Make your own dressings with olive or canola oil, wine, balsamic or cider vinegars, herbs/spices and low fat plain greek yogurt if you wanna make it creamy. It's not a no cal option but a healthy one.
  • Wow that kinda sucks.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Trying to not use artificial sweeteners, so no thanks here! :) I do wonder how they make it so low-calorie, though... even taking the sugar/splenda difference into account.

ETA: I have discovered just using lemon juice on salads is good too... or some olive oil (good for you!) and lemon juice. For some flavor, I like the Wishbone salad spritzers too. :)
  • mskimberlee
    mskimberlee Posts: 38 Member
    Then what are some good healthy dressings that we can make? I'm all for homemade, I actually prefer homemade! Share please!!!
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    We don't conusme anything like this anymore as we have given up all processed items. I tend to use either straight balsamic, or my favorite recently is olive oil mixed with lemon juice and a dash of dill . . . yum . . . tastes very fresh, just make sure to not use too much lemon juice or it will be a tart salad!
  • Nelski
    Then what are some good healthy dressings that we can make? I'm all for homemade, I actually prefer homemade! Share please!!!
    See my post above, oh and adding lemon juice to the oil is an option too.
  • I think I might try to make my own salad dressings then. Thank you all for your input! I opened the salad dressing I bought (the balsamic vinaigrette) and it was decent, but for the price it's not amazing lol.
  • Dee678
    Dee678 Posts: 53
    I use balsamic vinegar (regular or white) and I add fruit to my salad for extra flavor!
  • weelissa
    weelissa Posts: 89 Member
    I usually just drizzle a spot of balsamic vinegar over my salad, either that or some wholegrain mustard mixed with lemon juice and black pepper!
  • peggy1952
    peggy1952 Posts: 46
    can you give us a recipe for one of your dressings?
  • antiadipose
    antiadipose Posts: 447
    i use plain fat free yogurt, add red pepper flakes, lemon juice, black pepper, but of vinegar and VOILA! amaaazzzing.
    it all started with tzatziki sauce. i just took that idea and ran with it.
    i pour it on my lettuce, spinach, tomato, curcumber, parsley, green pepper, green onion, carrots, etc etc salad! lol i make huge salads to go with lunch and dinner on the side! love it.

i love adding feta cheese too! mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

IM HUNGRY!
  • Nelski
    I like vinegrettes so I usually use half a T of olive or canola oil to 1 T of white or red wine or balsamic vinegar. I usually just add some black pepper to it but you can use any seasoning just go easy on the salt. I make my own honey mustard also with honey, brown mustard(you can use dijon but it's to strong for me) and greek yogurt.
  • melodyg

Here is a decent ranch recipe: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/No-Mayonnaise-Ranch-Dressing/Detail.aspx

I like to just use lemon juice, or some olive oil or lemon juice.

Also, here is a promising looking Caesar... I haven't tried it yet though. (It *does* have 130 calories/serving.... not sure of the serving size though... still, there is only so low-calorie you can make something with cheese in it!) :)
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    At work I just use Red Wine Vinegar straight out of the bottle. At home if I want something a little more fancy I mix some Red Wine Vinegar with Olive Oil, Water, Fresh Garlic, Lemon Juice, Pepper, Crushed Red Pepper.... etc. :bigsmile:
  • Nelski

I love feta on salads. I have recently started loving gorgonzola cheese in them too.
  • elmct57
    elmct57 Posts: 594 Member
    amishfinefoods sells salad dressings in packet sizes from a variety of sources so you don't buy a whole bottle, hate the taste and throw it out: http://amishfinefoods.com/condiments.html
  • immacookie
    immacookie Posts: 7,424 Member
    I like to mix plain greek yogurt with a little fresh horseradish and some vinegar.
    Also straight hummus is a great dressing or mix hummus with a little mustard.
    Cottage cheese is also a good "dressing", I was skeptical how it would taste ON the salad but you barely notice it and the salad is nice and creamy (I use 1/4 cup of low-salt cottage cheese on a big bowl of salad, a little goes a long way). If I'm feeling crazy I'll do cottage cheese and a little hummus.

Greek yogurt, no-salt greek seasoning and some blue cheese crumbles is also good.
  • Dee678
    Dee678 Posts: 53

I love feta on salads. I have recently started loving gorgonzola cheese in them too.

Once you love gorgonzola, try a little blue cheese crumbled! I love these strongly flavored cheese because a little goes a long way = fewer calories for the same satisfaction!
  • mandikaye
    mandikaye Posts: 72 Member
    I'm a ranch dressing junkie. Are there any good *healthy* recipes that don't sacrifice too much in the taste department?
  • ecgravatt
    ecgravatt Posts: 18 Member
    Plain balsamic vinegar (either red or white) is really good too and has about 20 calories per tablespoon (which is plenty of vinegar for a salad).

Also try making your own salad dressing using oil and vinegar and maybe some dijon mustard to thicken it up/creamy it up. There's very few calories in mustard, and if you use very little oil you don't add too much AND olive oil is so good for you its worth it.

Better to put whole natural foods in your body than products of modern chemistry. As Jamie Oliver once said "if the ingredient list looks like a NASA experiment, don't eat it!"
  • melodyg
    I just checked out book "Now Eat This!" from the library and it has some healthier dressing recipes. I haven't tried them, but wanted to pass along the information!

http://www.amazon.com/Now-Eat-This-Americas-Favorite/dp/0345520904/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1280452842&sr=8-1
This discussion has been closed.