Eating for Your Blood Type???

Options
Any thoughts would be appreciated!

I'm considering changing what I eat based on my blood type.
Does anyone know if this method is successful?
I'm A positive. According to the chart, I'd pretty much be eating like a vegetarian.

If you're interested, this is what I am looking at:

http://www.dietpromises.com/blood-type-diet#blood-type-a-food-list

Replies

• Mharren
    Mharren Posts: 60
    Options

the presence and/or type of antigen on the cell surface of your erythrocytes is what determines your blood type (not the serum) and they have nothing to do with uptake.

Cheers,
    - Mharren
  • epie2098
    epie2098 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Have you read the blood type diet book? It's not exactly based in science. From what I remember, it referenced the Bible (no disrespect) which reflected the Babylonian knowledge of science when it was written, as well as some anthropological studies, but not really enough.

For example, I am Type O. According to the book, I should basically be eating low-carb. However, I also have hypoglycemia, so low-carb is hard. I should be a hunter-gathering meat eater, but honestly, I do best on a plant-based diet with limited dairy. I'm basically the opposite.

If it works for you, then great. Now that being said, "pretty much be eating like a vegetarian" is a healthy lifestyle for anyone to enjoy. The benefits of a plant-based diet are numerous.
  • julekinz
    julekinz Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I'm A pos, too. I don't know how long I could hold out without some of the 'No's", but I could give it a try with you. We can see how we feel and if it helps us to lose weight.
  • jennibenni6
    Options
    Have you read the blood type diet book?

No, I haven't read any books about it.
    My cousin brought it to my attention, and I figured I would see if anyone here knew anything about it.
    Thank you for your input!
  • jennibenni6
    Options
    the presence and/or type of antigen on the cell surface of your erythrocytes is what determines your blood type (not the serum) and they have nothing to do with uptake.

The more you know! haha
    Biology was never my strong subject, so thank you!
  • jennibenni6
    Options
    I'm A pos, too. I don't know how long I could hold out without some of the 'No's", but I could give it a try with you. We can see how we feel and if it helps us to lose weight.

Apparently, there isn't much science behind it, but I'm willing to try it!
    It doesn't seem like it'd be harmful to try. I'll start tomorrow :)
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    It's a restrictive fad diet based on a theory that your blood type means your intolerant to certain foods and therefore are more likely to store these particular foods as fat.

This is a theory that has been largely rejected by the medical community.

I would suggest eating at a moderate deficit and incorporating exercise into your lifestyle.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    NO.
  • Mini_Medic
    Mini_Medic Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    What mharren said. Your blood type has no relation to weight loss. It's basically a superstition such as predicting your future via your zodiac sign.