I quit...

Options

Replies

• BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Currently on a break. I can't do this all the time. It starts to take over my life and interferes with my ability to make judgments on feeling full. I find myself at the end of the day looking at my micros and macros and having odd-combination snacks to try to meet anything that is missing. To the point where if I am 97% on calcium, I will measure out an ounce of milk and drink it. Or I will eat cantaloupe that I don't want to hit Vitamin A. Or trying to get in 10 or 20 more calories to hit a specific number target when it doesn't really matter at all.

Take the break, guilt-free. I'm really glad I decided to do it.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    I would just think of it as a deload week where you are giving yourself a break from something that is taxing. Completely acceptable.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    I hope you enjoy your break! I think everyone is different. While I may waste time on MFP doing other things, logging food just takes me a few minutes a day, so I never feel like I need a break.

That being said, I can see why taking a break could be beneficial for a lot of people, to relieve stress or for some other purpose.

Personally I could see myself recording every meal/exercise for the rest of my life. All the data could be interesting one day looking back to see my diet/exercise habits from decades prior.

Agreed! I almost never take a break for a full day or week but I do sometimes say "F--- it, I'm not going to log everything" but I have advised some of my friends to take breaks. For some, it's beneficial to not have to stress about it. It hasn't gotten to that point yet for me.
  • Leslietheriot
    Leslietheriot Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    It's too late for me. Been logging for 2 years now and I believe I'm obsessed. I just cant stop!
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Wha???

You, sir, are dead to me.
    :laugh: Awesome.
  • hawaii86442
    hawaii86442 Posts: 167
    Options
    I just cantt quit/ I am so happy with losing the extra weight I figure that since I have reached a reasonalble goal more than once I will try for another. This one is the lowest adult weight I have ever been. I am going to hawaii for a month but my daughter and granddaughter are avid MFP dieters. I will check in with your progress when I return as you can check on mine.

I have logged for 391 consecutive days.
  • KML617
    KML617 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I kinda like the planning ahead... helps me with my grocery shopping too =P But I think taking a break from logging every once in a while is good for you. Eventually, we should all be able to eat healthy without the logging system. Isn't that kinda the point of all this? Training yourself to live a healthy life naturally? As long as you are still making the right kinds of choices, I say more power to ya! Just don't disappear... you'd be missed! :smile:
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,688 Member
    Options
    I haven't taken a break. I tend to just log what I eat without planning or even checking micros most days, ( except protein because its not high enough unless I pay attention). I like to look at trends and graphs over time:)
  • changeyourlimits
    Options
    I guess i would ask why are you logging. For the past 11 months you logged your meals and workouts?? What is the purpose behind that. Locate exactly why you want to log and it probably won't feel like a chore. Did someone tell you to log. Then determine what your vision is with what makes you happy. Review what you accomplished in the past 11 months. Then determine what you want the next 11 months. See if logging is needed and once you know then your break should be over too. Keep Going.. breaks should just be the time where you reevaluate. Once that is done. GO!
  • parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,064 Member
    Options
    I find myself not logging as religiously, either. Partially because, after months of this, I sometimes need to just not worry about the numbers. A day or two here and there. I think if you're able to eat intuitively, knowing how you normally eat, it could be a good thing.

after a while, it starts to feel like homework. adult homework. don't get me wrong, i am in favor of calorie counting, but i do think it can wear on you after a while of doing it day in and day out. breaks are ok i think, so long as you don't make them a couple of months in duration.

I find I get burnt out and taking occasional breaks really helps. When I go on holidays in the summer, there are three or four weeks of no logging. Mind you, while camping, I am very active as well and it seems to even out any excess in calorie intake. I am currently trying to get out of a bit of a winter slump and find the the light of spring is helping immeasurably.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    I am afraid what will happen if I quit logging.
  • caly_man
    caly_man Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    i am still too new and a total novice not to be logging

but I'm really looking forward to the day when i can eat and maintain a healthy weight based on "feel"

i think that is what this process is teaching me, how eat proper portions, have a piece of fruit between meals, stay hydrated, and not have to stuff myself once a day.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It doesn't bother me, but it's only been 3.5 months. That being said, I'm not logging this week, I'm going in vacations and there'll be no way to weigh anything, and I don't want to spend the whole time analyzing my meals, so I will still eat healthy, just not log.
  • zerryz
    zerryz Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I've internalized my logging food to a point that I I think of it as I think of brushing my teeth or taking a shower; it's not even an option to quit. But I don't keep spreadsheets, or data the way you seem to. I strictly use the MFP phone app. I rarely weigh and often use the existing database with occasionally creating my custom foods. Maybe the added work you put onto yourself tracking is what creates the burn-out feel? Relaxing a bit might help? \m/
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Take a break every 6-12 weeks for 2 weeks, or every 12-16 weeks for two weeks.

if you do portion control such as using smaller bowls and ensuring you get one serving as opposed to 3 servings of a food, you should do alright and not have to count calories.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I just don't "Get It"! I did it My Way for like let's just say 25 years and I got obese and sick. THEN I decided to take 5/10 minutes a day and log My food...I lost 130 lbs and am HEALTHY, Happy, FREE. YEAH, I will give 5/10 Minutes EVERYDAY of My LIFE for a Continued Focus on My Health. I tell you what, 120 minutes everyday of planned exercise will NEVER substitute for eating Right! That's the Mistake so MANY who Fail make...they Do Not know what is Important.

I AM Worth 10 Minutes of Time Everyday...WOW!
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Not me. When I quit logging I get fatter.
    If I have to log forever I'll do it.
  • CharityGC
    CharityGC Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I have no problem not counting for a meal, day, or even a weekend. It's nice to take a break.
  • nogoldilocs
    nogoldilocs Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I support you in taking a break. I have taken two, two week breaks in the past 11 months with no regrets. The first time I did it was about 6 months in and I was freaking out a little (I had been so meticulous about it in the beginning, even has a portable scale...too much perhaps). But then I went on vacation for a couple of weeks where it was impractical to log (no internet access, foreign foods, couldn't weigh anything, didn't know what was in it anyway, etc) and I figured after all of the months of meticulousness, a couple of weeks wouldn't derail me. And guess what, it didn't.

I think that there is value in tracking and logging and paying attention but there is also value in just not worrying about it sometimes. The very act of logging for so many months has taught you something about portion control and balance so you will retain some of that, even if you are not tracking everything. Continue to monitor your weight or measurements or whatever else you use to track your progress. Pay attention to your energy and how you feel. But ultimately don't sweat taking a logging holiday.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    I'm feeling the burnout here and there, too. But, over the summer I'm going to be doing a lot of camping and backpacking and I have no intention of logging then. Honestly, I won't even get reception to use the app, and I sure as hell am not pre-logging or logging after I get back.

Anyway, I know breaks are coming. This week was a lifting rest week, and my mother was in town, so I didn't hit my macros like usual and didn't get any running in. Next week is back to normal, and my progress won't even be impacted by the little break.

Take a break if you need it, we'll holler at you if it becomes a habit. :flowerforyou: